Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:53 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Haha, thanks for that. Yes, I think there are some out there suffering from a fair amount of confirmation bias or lack of perspective, just as there are a number out there who honestly were disappointed with the hotel location, breakfast, or other elite issue.

But the fact of the matter is that the Prince Gallery is unquestionably the best award stay option in Tokyo--including the slightly dated Ritz-Carlton, the very dated Park Hyatt, and the similarly amazing view Andaz. And it's one of the best luxury hotels in Tokyo on top of that.
The Andaz used to be an amazing Cash+Points award at $150+12,500 points. Nothing could top that.

These days with Andaz moving to Cat7, it's not as clear cut anymore. I still give the Andaz the edge because 85k/100k is a ridiculously high number of points for PG.

I would never spend points vs cash rates at PG while I might drop a few Cat7 certs at Andaz.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
On the topic of breakfast, I've had a few stays at the PG and always enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I've never had to wait for breakfast, that seems like an anomaly. I like the breakfast buffet at the PG slightly better than the RC.

The lounge access was convenient for grabbing a coffee in the morning, but the breakfast was always much better in the restaurant.
The 4h of Yamazaki and 24h of sake at the lounge were wonderful and I will miss it on my next stay here. (Though they had already ditched Yamazaki by my last stay)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
On the topic of breakfast, I've had a few stays at the PG and always enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I've never had to wait for breakfast, that seems like an anomaly. I like the breakfast buffet at the PG slightly better than the RC.

The lounge access was convenient for grabbing a coffee in the morning, but the breakfast was always much better in the restaurant.
Can paid Club guests eat breakfast at the buffet instead?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Can paid Club guests eat breakfast at the buffet instead?
Yes.

The buffet is awesome, and if you arrive at seven you'll never have a problem with seating or crowding.

That said, if you're going to pay for breakfast and money is no object, head across the street to The New Otani's SATSUKI instead.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yes.

The buffet is awesome, and if you arrive at seven you'll never have a problem with seating or crowding.

That said, if you're going to pay for breakfast and money is no object, head across the street to The New Otani's SATSUKI instead.
What do you recommend in there???
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I understand your feelings and respect that. I couldn't disagree more, but I am happy to know that I will have one less person to worry about competing with me here.

You're most welcome to the very outdated and less impressive PH for its Globalist benefits. It's too bad you can't get the same Globalist benefits at the Andaz, since that's the only Hyatt property that comes close to being as nice as the PG. If you only care about elite benefits, it sounds like you most certainly will enjoy the PH more. But the PH isn't even close to as nice as the PG.

I had a stay here at the PG (as Plat100 Ambassador) in May 2018 when SNAs were accepted...but mine didn't clear. (Most SNAs never cleared because there are only 11 total suites in the hotel; the constant complaints about SNAs not clearing is why the hotel finally opted out of participating.)

Yet, due to my Ambassador status and because it was our 8th anniversary wedding trip, we arrived early and still were upgraded to a Kioi Suite (and given the suite on our 7:15 am arrival no less).

The lounge here was very nice...but I don't care much about a lounge, nor do I expect one in any luxury level accommodation. You now have to pay for the lounge here, but you also have to pay for the lounge at the Ritz-Carlton. So it's a wash at the luxury level in Tokyo between those 2 properties.

We are in the fortunate position of not needing elite benefits--even if we usually have them by virtue of my Ambassador status. I paid for our stay (got my one and only BRG, actually). I loved the PG...and I know from stays at the best hotels in the world that the PG is among them. We had high tea and toured rooms and suites at the Aman Tokyo--and had poor service there. But what a hard product! We had lunch at the MO and toured rooms and suites--and this is the only hotel where F&B is even better than that at the PG, but wow was the decor dated and tired (but not as much as that of the PH). We had drinks art the Peninsula and toured rooms and suites--and sorry, but the PG blows it away. We toured the rooms and suites at the Hoshinoya, too--but that isn't for us because it's too non-Western and lacked way too many amenities we desire. We'd previously stayed at the PH and knew it was overrated.

I think we're quite comfortable with the PG being one of the best hotels in the city.
To me, the PG is better than the Andaz with the stupid table and sofa instead of a real desk or comfortable chair, but I'm comparing a Tokyo Tower view (but otherwise regular, although I do love having the tower so close) room at the Andaz to the large deluxe (I'm not sure what the category is called) room at the PG. I'd also put the lounge PG breakfast above the Andaz breakfast, although I realize that most people here would disagree. In terms of location, my favorite Tokyo hotel remains the Imperial. However, my bottom line is that IMO a suite at the PH dominates all of these.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anchor79
What do you recommend in there???
The buffet!!!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:51 am

did this hotel get dropped from virtuoso? it used to be up there but cant find it now
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the PG is better than the Andaz with the stupid table and sofa instead of a real desk or comfortable chair, but I'm comparing a Tokyo Tower view (but otherwise regular, although I do love having the tower so close) room at the Andaz to the large deluxe (I'm not sure what the category is called) room at the PG. I'd also put the lounge PG breakfast above the Andaz breakfast, although I realize that most people here would disagree. In terms of location, my favorite Tokyo hotel remains the Imperial. However, my bottom line is that IMO a suite at the PH dominates all of these.
The base level room at Andaz is better than the base level room at PG.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by helvetic
The base level room at Andaz is better than the base level room at PG.
I really disagree for many of the reasons MSPEconomist laid out. The furnishing in the Andaz base room just makes no sense, isn't especially comfortable to use if you need to use the little table as a desk, and makes the room feel cramped. It basically has the bare minimum amount of open floor space to allow you to get to the other side of the bed. It's a bigger room though so it probably would be better if utilized properly.

I still want to try the Andaz king deluxe tower view sometime though; looks a lot more sensible. Problem is that my corporate rate now at PG is 3X,000 JPY and every time I look at the Andaz its 100K for that room.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I really disagree for many of the reasons MSPEconomist laid out. The furnishing in the Andaz base room just makes no sense, isn't especially comfortable to use if you need to use the little table as a desk, and makes the room feel cramped. It basically has the bare minimum amount of open floor space to allow you to get to the other side of the bed. It's a bigger room though so it probably would be better if utilized properly.

I still want to try the Andaz king deluxe tower view sometime though; looks a lot more sensible. Problem is that my corporate rate now at PG is 3X,000 JPY and every time I look at the Andaz its 100K for that room.
At that price difference the PG is a no brainer, sure
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:24 pm

There's room availability for a Monday and Wednesday that matches what I want.
But the Tuesday... there's no points availability (not even peak pricing) and the cash rate is something like 700USD.

Have anyone tried moving some place else in between of the night where there are no award availability? Was it worth the hassle?

I can see moving the luggage can be annoying, unless they have some kind of luggage storing options

Last edited by ahhlun; Sep 24, 2019 at 7:29 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alan Lun
There's room availability for a Monday and Wednesday that matches what I want.
But the Tuesday... there's no points availability (not even peak pricing) and the cash rate is something like 700USD.

Have anyone tried moving some place else in between of the night where there no award availability? Was it worth the hassle?

I can see moving the luggage can be annoying, unless they have some kind of luggage storing options
I would find another option that’s more convenient. Moving in and out for 1 night stays doesn’t seem to be worth it to enjoy the luxury of this property.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are a couple hotels within walking distance (including one with a nice Japanese garden, but you don't need to stay there to enter the garden), but AFAIK nothing that's Marriott/Bonvoy family.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

Anyone have issue with Chase Bonvoy card only giving 2x points instead of 6x points?

Had the issue in my August stay, but online corrected it right away.

Having the same issue for my September stay, but this time customer service keeps on saying it's not a Marriott property.
Now, I will stay another 50 days in Oct/Nov.

Spoke to two customer service reps. Both say "no" to marriott property/6x points..

Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.