Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the lounge or the restaurant? The lounge breakfast was adequate, and included an egg station. They also had a prosciutto, which was lacking from Oasis Garden buffet. I felt the restaurant buffet was weak aside from the juices and bread/pastries.

They still have the afternoon tea, and it was probably the best of the three offerings, if one is inclined to load up on sugar

There's a difference between a complaint and a comment, and a comment on staff's English abilities is a fair one to pass along, especially in the context of an SPG/Marriott branded property which caters to western business travelers. This may be an important consideration if one is choosing between this property and say the Conrad or PH.
I also enjoyed the afternoon tea and wish I had done it more than twice, but was very busy on my recent visit. I do agree with everyone's sentiments that the lounge food offerings are weak, but I have to say that there were at least two evenings where I must have eaten an entire duck worth of smoked duck pieces, and I was pretty happy with that.

On the breakfast, it was totally adequate for me since I generally just go for eggs, meat, and some fruits and veggies. If you like asian cuisine it's definitely lacking though, and I don't understand why there's no sushi, not even sushi rolls. If you're going to offer smoked salmon, offer some salmon sushi too.

I'm headed back here in June so I'm curious to see the changes made since I was there in February which was immediately after the cuts were made. No lounge access this time even as a titanium which is sad but not a dealbreaker. Just hoping for a corner room upgrade like my stays in Feb.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
On the breakfast, it was totally adequate for me since I generally just go for eggs, meat, and some fruits and veggies. If you like asian cuisine it's definitely lacking though, and I don't understand why there's no sushi, not even sushi rolls. If you're going to offer smoked salmon, offer some salmon sushi too.
Strictly speaking, salmon sushi isn't Japanese sushi if you ask a traditionalist, so it might not appeal to the Japanese audience.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave510
Strictly speaking, salmon sushi isn't Japanese sushi if you ask a traditionalist, so it might not appeal to the Japanese audience.
And sushi isn't a traditional Japanese breakfast food.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Buffet breakfast staff seems unsufficiently trained and is rough around the edges, compared to other same level Japanese properties
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:20 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Aventine
And sushi isn't a traditional Japanese breakfast food.
And sake nigiri is not made with smoked salmon…
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sake nigiri for breakfast would be no odder than the mashed potatoes they had on offer Sunday morning.
cur and nexusCFX like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by helvetic
And sake nigiri is not made with smoked salmon…
Who said it was? I just remarked on their existing sourcing of salmon which could be used in other ways.
Sake nigiri for breakfast would be no odder than the mashed potatoes they had on offer Sunday morning.
Basically this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:03 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Who said it was? I just remarked on their existing sourcing of salmon which could be used in other ways.
Sure, so my point is that their sourcing of smoked salmon has no relevance to their potential sourcing of fresh salmon used for sake nigiri. Completely different things.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Sure, so my point is that their sourcing of smoked salmon has no relevance to their potential sourcing of fresh salmon used for sake nigiri. Completely different things.
They already source fresh salmon. I think you misunderstood the intent of what I was saying, which was just that I'd rather have salmon raw than keep getting smoked salmon.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just wrapped up a three night stay. Overall I enjoyed the property. The rooms are beautifully designed and extremely quiet and comfortable. Service was also very good, though I felt it fell below true 5* in terms of anticipating needs. Staff English skills were also a bit weak (this always surprises me in Japan, I suppose I should get used to it). The location also worked very well for me.

Property was booked full so no upgrade. FDA was apologetic and I was given club access, which I felt was quite generous. While the club space is very nice, I was not impressed at all with the food. It is subpar for an Asian club lounge, especially at a purported 5* property. I don't understand why people have gotten so worked about it in this thread.

Breakfast is another weak point (as mentioned above). They are now offering a buffet in the main restaurant (no Japanese option), and a Japanese restaurant in one of the 35th Floor restaurants. The buffet was weak, and (like the lounge's food offerings) simply does not compare with other Asian 5* properties either in quality or selection. The service in the restaurant is well meaning, but totally incompetent. Lots of staff standing around, but very little actual service. I had to ask three times for coffee one morning, and they don't remove plates from the table.

I don't stay frequently in Tokyo, so don't have much experience for comparison, but I felt the pool and spa here did not compare to PH Tokyo, and the service was not as good as Conrad (and rooms are smaller). OTOH, the location is good and the overall package makes this an attractive property for a return visit.
My comps in Tokyo are the Four Seasons and the Peninsula. To me, there's no doubt that the Prince Gallery is better than the 4S on virtually all counts (except for potentially location - it's hard to beat being right next to Tokyo Station). The Peninsula is a little tougher, but I liked the more intimate feel of the Prince Gallery, whereas the Peninsula, while it has gorgeous finishes, is much larger (and is also much pricier). The one part where the Prince Gallery was undeniably weaker was in my queries when it came to concierge booking requests for meals...it often took more than one day to get back to me, and there were multiple people working with me and not keeping good track of what I was requesting. It (sort of) worked out in the end, but both the 4S and Peninsula were far better in getting me set up at certain spots that I wanted to eat.

They also threw a nice New Year's party in the sky lounge, with perhaps the only downside being that it wasn't straightforward to get any other drink than the Moet they were serving (I think it was because Moet was basically sponsoring their party).
cur and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My comps in Tokyo are the Four Seasons and the Peninsula. To me, there's no doubt that the Prince Gallery is better than the 4S on virtually all counts (except for potentially location - it's hard to beat being right next to Tokyo Station). The Peninsula is a little tougher, but I liked the more intimate feel of the Prince Gallery, whereas the Peninsula, while it has gorgeous finishes, is much larger (and is also much pricier). The one part where the Prince Gallery was undeniably weaker was in my queries when it came to concierge booking requests for meals...it often took more than one day to get back to me, and there were multiple people working with me and not keeping good track of what I was requesting. It (sort of) worked out in the end, but both the 4S and Peninsula were far better in getting me set up at certain spots that I wanted to eat.

They also threw a nice New Year's party in the sky lounge, with perhaps the only downside being that it wasn't straightforward to get any other drink than the Moet they were serving (I think it was because Moet was basically sponsoring their party).
Thanks for this post, very informative.

I was looking to stay here for one night in August, and was hoping the hotel would be able to assist with restaurant reservations. Sounds like it might be better to burn my free Hilton night at the Conrad for this trip.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Unless the rules have changed there is champagne, you just need to ask for it. Champagne is available all day in the lounge if you want it.
yep, just did this. You do have to ask, but it appeared within 60 seconds with an apology for taking so long
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:21 am

So this hotel just gave me the most ridiculous service recovery I've ever encountered. I'm booked here with a BRG rate of 36K after tax for four nights in June. I emailed them on Apr 4 just saying I would appreciate if they could notate my reservation to give me a deluxe room on the west side facing Mt. Fuji, and also in the event that they weren't full and I got upgraded to the corner room, the southwest side facing Fuji and Tokyo Tower. I didn't get any response for some time, but I figured they're definitely busy during this season so I didn't mind. Today I got an email back telling me they're very sorry for the delay, and to apologize they've pre-upgraded me to said corner room. They are literally selling that room for 90k JPY during those dates. It probably helped that I am a returning guest, but still.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I got that corner room that facing Fuji and Tokyo Tower on my last stay.
Amazing view!
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I got that corner room that facing Fuji and Tokyo Tower on my last stay.
Amazing view!
Same here. I had a 7 night stay and then a 1 night stay after visiting Suiran, and for the 7 night I asked for the southeast corner that could see Skytree and Tokyo Tower, but on the 1 night stay we got the southwest corner and I felt it was better due to the less obstructed view of Tokyo Tower and the ability to see Fuji, although it was too cloudy that day. Hoping for better weather this time, and hopefully a higher floor since we were on the 30th floor both stays last time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.