Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anchor79
I felt this hotel is cookie cutter hotel even before they removed the breakfast option. Andaz on another hand offers much better breakfast, free continental breakfast for all guests in their lobby area. This hotel on another hand, is quite inconvenient when you are taking subways to Chuo area. In terms of rooms I already see wear and tears.

It was great while we had Japanese bento box as an option before but they never changed any item, it got boring when you eat same food for days.
The Andaz offers a full breakfast for Globalists at Andaz Tavern.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anchor79
I felt this hotel is cookie cutter hotel even before they removed the breakfast option. Andaz on another hand offers much better breakfast, free continental breakfast for all guests in their lobby area. This hotel on another hand, is quite inconvenient when you are taking subways to Chuo area. In terms of rooms I already see wear and tears.

It was great while we had Japanese bento box as an option before but they never changed any item, it got boring when you eat same food for days.
What free continental breakfast for all at the Andaz? They have a huge buffet in the restaurant (although IMO the PG lounge breakfast is better), which is free for Globs, and an evening reception (happy hour) in the lobby for everyone with free appetizers and beer/wine.

IIRC PH offers happy hour in their bar for Globs in addition to the free full breakfast benefit.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I guess with all have our priorities - but I feel opting out of the SNA programme is a bigger loss than the lounge access.
JK likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[left]What free continental breakfast for all at the Andaz?
Calling it a "Continental Breakfast" may be a stretch, but they do offer coffee and pastries in the lobby for all staying guests.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Calling it a "Continental Breakfast" may be a stretch, but they do offer coffee and pastries in the lobby for all staying guests.
I guess I never noticed on my way to the big restaurant buffet. That's nice.

Some USA Andaz properties (Napa for example when I stayed there) have pastries and coffee for sale in the lobby if someone doesn't want the whole big restaurant breakfast (at Napa, it was order from an extensive menu, which was slow), but I haven't noticed this recently, although I have seen the free morning coffee service in Andaz lobbies (Scottsdale and Savannah for example).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:35 am
Suspended

Today is my check out day at this hotel, it was my best stay experience in Tokyo , I still highly recommend the hotel ,even though cutting the lounge access, they are still being very nice to elite members and the corner king room is just stunning and it surpassed Park Hyatt in my experience. I think this is one of the best room that I've got in Marriott.

Thank god I only payed 300 dollars a night at Park Hyatt , and still got all the benefit of globalist. It is just not worth $700 a night.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Today is my check out day at this hotel, it was my best stay experience in Tokyo , I still highly recommend the hotel ,even though cutting the lounge access, they are still being very nice to elite members and the corner king room is just stunning and it surpassed Park Hyatt in my experience. I think this is one of the best room that I've got in Marriott.

Thank god I only payed 300 dollars a night at Park Hyatt , and still got all the benefit of globalist. It is just not worth $700 a night.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the hotel like we did. I think it’s very easy for most to get distracted by the elite benefits on offer or lack thereof and completely forget or ignore the tremendous hard and soft product at luxury hotels like this in the Marriott portfolio.

This hotel offers one of the best experiences of any luxury hotel in Tokyo IMO. For us, only the Aman Tokyo had a better hard product—and even then, it is close. This hotel has a much better hard product than the Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Hoshinoya, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, etc. This hotel also has a soft product that clearly is quite comparable and sometimes even better than those.

If one is looking to skimp and not pay much for what one wants, this hotel isn’t going to be a great option. But if one is looking for an incredible hard product with truly incredible modern design, views, and amenities, authentic and impressive Japanese service and food/beverage, and is willing to pay for it—even as it’s often less expensive than those more famous luxury counterparts that most often still cannot match its hard and soft product—then this is an amazing luxury hotel choice.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m so glad you enjoyed the hotel like we did. I think it’s very easy for most to get distracted by the elite benefits on offer or lack thereof and completely forget or ignore the tremendous hard and soft product at luxury hotels like this in the Marriott portfolio.

This hotel offers one of the best experiences of any luxury hotel in Tokyo IMO. For us, only the Aman Tokyo had a better hard product—and even then, it is close. This hotel has a much better hard product than the Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Hoshinoya, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, etc. This hotel also has a soft product that clearly is quite comparable and sometimes even better than those.

If one is looking to skimp and not pay much for what one wants, this hotel isn’t going to be a great option. But if one is looking for an incredible hard product with truly incredible modern design, views, and amenities, authentic and impressive Japanese service and food/beverage, and is willing to pay for it—even as it’s often less expensive than those more famous luxury counterparts that most often still cannot match its hard and soft product—then this is an amazing luxury hotel choice.

This is the fact of the matter for me. I've not been to the Aman but I've been to Tokyo many a time and the hard product here is far superior to anything else I've seen. When I get around to building a house, it's going to have a bathroom designed based on the bathrooms in the corner rooms at this hotel.

Not only that, the rates are often much lower than you'll pay at the super dated Park Hyatt or the Andaz, or the RC which is also starting to feel old even though it was renovated in 2015. Even right now, I'm seeing rates in April for 49K JPY when those other hotels are at 70-100K a night.

Really the only thing you can really hold against the hotel is the fact that it's not beside a JR station, but honestly if you're concerned about having to pay for the subway instead of using your JR pass, maybe a luxury hotel is not the best place for you to stay in general.

The room upgrades here are phenomenal too. At 48hrs out they upgraded me to a seven night upgrade to a specific corner king with views of Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Tower, which are the views I requested, and it was the last non-standard room bookable. I'm sure they could have sold it at some point during that week instead of giving it to someone staying on a 27K JPY BRG rate.

The concierge email response time is abysmal though.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I had another night at the PG a week ago, arriving mid-week. For the first time, the property was actually full and wouldn't let me check in at 8am in the morning. Every other time (but usually Sunday/Monday morning) I've been able to check in early. That was usually a rock star start to a stay in Tokyo: Land at 7am, check in at 8am. Have shower in the room and breakfast in the lounge. I guess I'd pay for breakfast going forwards if I was returning to the PG.

The loss of lounge access doesn't worry me too much. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the area. I prefer the breakfast in the restaurant to the lounge. It was convenient to grab a coffee in the lounge, and at night the club staff encouraged me to bring drinks back to my room, which was nice.

The Onsen and pool is lovely. Rooms are some of the best and most modern I've had anywhere and the breakfast is top notch. I've never received upgraded, with SNAs always denied.

Following the merger, I will probably stay at the RC Tokyo going forwards. It's cheaper on my corporate rate and walking distance to my office.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is the fact of the matter for me. I've not been to the Aman but I've been to Tokyo many a time and the hard product here is far superior to anything else I've seen. When I get around to building a house, it's going to have a bathroom designed based on the bathrooms in the corner rooms at this hotel.

Not only that, the rates are often much lower than you'll pay at the super dated Park Hyatt or the Andaz, or the RC which is also starting to feel old even though it was renovated in 2015. Even right now, I'm seeing rates in April for 49K JPY when those other hotels are at 70-100K a night.

Really the only thing you can really hold against the hotel is the fact that it's not beside a JR station, but honestly if you're concerned about having to pay for the subway instead of using your JR pass, maybe a luxury hotel is not the best place for you to stay in general.

The room upgrades here are phenomenal too. At 48hrs out they upgraded me to a seven night upgrade to a specific corner king with views of Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Tower, which are the views I requested, and it was the last non-standard room bookable. I'm sure they could have sold it at some point during that week instead of giving it to someone staying on a 27K JPY BRG rate.

The concierge email response time is abysmal though.
I much prefer the Tokyo subway pass when travelling in Tokyo. It covers much more attraction and key area than the JR.
The 3 days pass is cheap and easy to use.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan

how much did you pay for your stay?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Seeking input on the most efficient way to reach the hotel from HND (apart from direct taxi, which looks a bit pricey). I'd prefer to avoid multiple transfers. After reviewing the options, I'm thinking maybe monorail to Hamamatsucho and then a taxi to the hotel?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
It is a fantastic room- IMO. Used a SPG Plat UG 2 years ago. Hope I am lucky for this room my next visit.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will stick w/ the PG vs RC.
Ended up canceling PG & moving to RC as travel dates changed & PG was unavailable. It took 2 attempts for a reply but the hotel did reply back on request on honoring lounge for breakfast. They also UG'd my room in advance to a better room (no Koi suite, though).

RC was excellent and had better overall service than PG IMO.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Seeking input on the most efficient way to reach the hotel from HND (apart from direct taxi, which looks a bit pricey). I'd prefer to avoid multiple transfers. After reviewing the options, I'm thinking maybe monorail to Hamamatsucho and then a taxi to the hotel?
The airport limobus has some service, but it's not frequent and the last scheduled departure from HND is too early for some of the USA arrivals. The PG is not the first stop, so this requires additional time although it's very convenient (but note that the walk to the limobus stops from the international terminals seems longer than the path at NRT). You can check fares and schedules on their website (in English, although it's a little bit clunky and doesn't do well at recognizing hotel names versus searching by route or neighborhood in Tokyo).

IIRC my taxi fare from the PG to HND was about 7,000 yen and took about 20 minutes (via Rainbow Bridge, which apparently saved some time over the other route that was signposted along the road). Traffic seemed light.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The airport limobus has some service, but it's not frequent and the last scheduled departure from HND is too early for some of the USA arrivals. The PG is not the first stop, so this requires additional time although it's very convenient (but note that the walk to the limobus stops from the international terminals seems longer than the path at NRT). You can check fares and schedules on their website (in English, although it's a little bit clunky and doesn't do well at recognizing hotel names versus searching by route or neighborhood in Tokyo).
The limo bus doesn't work, would require a four hour wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.