FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Niagara Sheraton On the Falls, Ontario [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/172663-niagara-sheraton-falls-ontario-master-thread.html)

tkyoshi Aug 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 12310077)
tkyoshi, were you happy with your upgrade? Was the hotel really sold out?

I also got an extortion letter today asking me to contact them if I wanted to be able to confirm my upgrade for my stay this weekend.

I am tempted to call their bluff and roll the dice, but we will be there with 2 other couples, and it would be nice if we had a nice suite to convene in.

Haha that was the exact same letter I received! Except I'm only a lowly gold.

Overall yes I was pretty happy with my upgrade, they put me in a Premium Fallsview - 2 Queen on the 15th (Rm. 1560) floor right in the middle of the hotel. The room was a bit musty smelling but I would say it was worth the upgrade for 1500 points. It had floor to ceiling windows and you could open one of the panels. It was nice being able to see the fireworks right from the room. Also I had a City View room (FWN) booked so I think the chances of a gold upgrade to Fallsview was pretty slim to begin with.

In my case yes I believe the hotel was sold out that weekend or at least close to capacity as it was very busy. However I guess being labor day weekend might have driven up business again. But looking at rates they are lower than when I went. During my weekend it was $260 Adv Purchase for No View room and those are going to 135 right now. So it's plausible they are not 100% sold out at the moment.

Also FYI they refused late checkout to us, but they did say that they were full for the day after as well. I guess as a resort location they are not obligated to honor the 4pm checkout.

Self-Parking wasn't as far as people said, I would just skip the crappy waterpark elevators and just use the stairs though.

Hope you have a good trip!

carpmawj Sep 8, 2009 7:01 am

Sheraton on the Falls, Niagara

Another Sheraton surpassing our expectations... SPG Gold floor upgrade, means simply higher up but improved the (paid for, rate CAD265 mid August weekend) awesome view of the falls and the fireworks. this location is far superior to the Fallsview hotel - don't book the wrong one!

buickwildcat1970 Sep 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Corner presidential or Penthouse

Some prior posts have addressed this decision but I still have a question/concern...

My wife and I have stayed in the corner presidential suite on a prior occasion and we loved it (Suite 2173). I have booked the penthouse suite for our upcoming trip in October. I am worried that we are not going to like the penthouse as much as we enjoyed the corner suite. The thing we liked best about the corner suite was that it had the corner walkout balcony. Does anyone know if the penthouse has a walkout balcony? From what I can tell it only has a French style balcony which does not allow you to actually walk out on the balcony.

Also the corner presidential suite had awesome views, obviously, since it was on the corner. Are there penthouse suites that are not on a corner? If we stick with the penthouse suite do we run the risk of getting a "middle" suite with views in only one direction?

It is just my wife and I so we don't really need the extra room/space. Would you recommend the corner presidential or the penthouse? Also does anyone know if the penthouse balcony is on the bedroom level or the lower level?

Thanks!

luxe Sep 16, 2009 8:05 am

Originally Posted by buickwildcat1970 (Post 12387952)
Q1. Does anyone know if the penthouse has a walkout balcony?

Q2. Are there penthouse suites that are not on a corner?

Q3 Also does anyone know if the penthouse balcony is on the bedroom level or the lower level?

A1. The penthouse has a small, French style, balcony.

A2. The penthouse faces south only, just like the falls view rooms. You will see the American Falls and the part of the park but not Clifton Hill.

A3. The penthouse balcony in on the main level, while the king bedroom and jacuzzi are above, on the loft.

It seems to me that the presidential suite is a better option for two people. The views of the park are very nice and you will have a better view of the Canadian Falls and the lights of Clifton Hill at night.

SleepDoc Sep 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Short mini review.... excellent Platinum treatment at the Sheraton on the Falls. My wife and I spent two days here using one prepaid night for a Deluxe room and the last of my free weekend night awards. We were upgraded to one of the Penthouse suites overlooking the falls. As previous posters have mentioned this is a two level suite both with faux fireplaces, a french style balcony which was wonderful to open in the morning and night with a great view and a doorbell for housekeeping/service to ring. The hotel does seem a bit outdated as others have mentioned but overall in decent shape. The Fallsview restaurant has a decent buffet though nothing spectacular with a price of about 30 CAD dollars IIRC. Niagra Falls seems a wee bit more commercialized since I visited there last about 25 years ago with the parents!

crazywudsl Oct 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Upgrades for Platinums?

Anyone know if platinums have good chance of getting upgrades to any of the nice suites later this week? It appears there are many of each variety available. I presume they don't have any junior suites, so is the possibilty of getting a nice suite corner/presidential, etc. a good chance?

supari Oct 27, 2009 7:05 am

Stayed there last wknd and was upgraded without asking. its low season now so getting up an upgrade shouldn't be an issue

craz Oct 27, 2009 7:57 am

Anyone know if theres free parking any where within a short walk?

Dont mind paying the extra $25US that staying there will cost over where I have another res (non-SPG) but if I have to pay for parking then its close to $45 more and then not worth it to me , since I can do a Mattress Run for $65 elsewhere

BudgetJetsetter Feb 14, 2010 9:52 pm

I recently stayed at this property over the weekend.

Note that this property participates in the Go Green program. However in exchange for declining housekeeping you only have the option getting the $5 voucher. You don't have the option of getting 500 starpoints.

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Boston and exchanged the voucher for 500 starpoints. When I checked out at Sheraton on the Falls I asked the clerk to exchange the $5 voucher for 500 spg points and they had no idea what i was talking about. I went back upstairs to verify and the door handtag has no language mentioning 500 spg points like the sheraton boston doortags did.

skrosvik Feb 26, 2010 4:22 am

Going there in the mid-end of March. Can I expect any upgrade as a plat?

margarita girl Feb 26, 2010 11:10 am

Definitely. It's still winter here so occupancy should be low. I got a beautiful suite upgrade at the end of May which is much more in season. See my comments on post #57 of this thread.

Please let us know how you make out.

skrosvik Mar 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Arrived today, and was told there was no select suites available, which may be true since I checked SPG in advance, and the suites seemed to be taken.

Did upgrade me to a very nice deluxe room on the 18th floor by the way. Huge room with a sofa and fireplace with an amazing commanding view over the falls. Jacuzzi and tv in the bathroom as well. Not bad.

Does anyone know why suites are available through SPG when I use my SET-code? Those suites does not appear on SPG when I override my SET-code (BAR)...

And does anyone know which suites are considered standard suites in this hotel?

UPDATE MARCH 24th: e-mailed Plat concierge last night, whom in return called the hotel, the FDM called me this morning, and suddenly a range of suites were available. Could choose between a corner suite on the 14th floor or a bi-level suite on the 22nd floor, both very nice indeed. Went for the bi-level suite. Very large and comfortable! Very happy with this one, and the hotel:) Also given 500 points for the inconvenience.

choptliva May 16, 2010 6:24 am

Was okay

Stayed one night while passing through.
Did not get a suite upgrade, though front desk pretended that my falls view 2Q is a suite (she actually called it a suite). That's fine. Was just Mrs Chop and myself, and only for one night. Room (Falls View 2 Q) was spacious enough.

Check-in:

Easy to find. Lots of people providing assistance and directions. Friendly, courteous, professional. Self-park is $15 ($10 cheaper than valet) and very easy to do.

Front desk courteous. SPG line speedy. Except for the "suite" thing, it was fine.

To Room:

Person at elevators to help with traffic, etc. Good service attitude. Elevators were fast, so wait was not very long.

Room was spacious (even had a sofabed in it, though no linens). No in-room safe. Bathroom quite large. No bathrobe (at least not in my room). Wifi was HORRIBLY SLOW. Room seemed recently furnished (?), but lacked insulation from other hotel noises. In fact, the bathroom was particularly loud, and someone else something showering or flushing the toilet would sound like a 747 taking off.

TV had very few channels.

Desk was very small.

View, though, was excellent.

Blisslab toiletries.

Dining:

Had dinner at the Crown Plaza which was connected to the Sheraton (apparently same owner). Can charge to room from there. Food was not bad. View good. Price was fine after $40 off coupon.

Breakfast at the Sheraton. Not the best. Service not at same level as the rest of the hotel either.

Check-out:

Video checkout didn't work. Called down. Very quick. No problem.

All in all not a bad stay. Would do it again at the right price (anything under $150?).

Flews May 16, 2010 6:43 am

Similar experience. Only with upgrade to large corner suite. Had to chase my 500 pt Plat Amenity... And the buffet was closed to a private party that night.

Bellman who accompanied us to our room took great pride in showing us the room features; except (to his horror) the fireplace and phone didn't work (he tried to show us how to use the fireplace and tried to call for service when it didn't...). He called for service on one of the other phones and everything was fixed by the time we got back to our room after stepping out a bit.

We, too, would return. Although our rate was south of $90, making that stay an excellent value, especially when you factor in the $40 coupon towards dinner next door...

Cheers,

margarita girl May 16, 2010 8:45 am

Heading there next weekend

Here's the link I received for the $40 dinner gift card.

Is the same card valid at the Crown Plaza, or is it a different card? I'm surprised that dinner at the Crown Plaza can be charged to your Sheraton hotel room? :confused: Anyone know why this is?

TIA