Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown, PA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown, PA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
MSP, there is no light rail service to PHL. However, there is service to PHL on the SEPTA Regional Rail commuter network; there is a difference. The nearest stop is Jefferson Station (formerly Market East), with an entrance on 11th Street between Filbert and Market.
Sorry, I know it's SEPTA and I'm not an expert but I guess it looks like light rail to me, where I use the term to mean something between the Amtrak long distance trains and the trolleys which isn't a subway.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, I know it's SEPTA and I'm not an expert but I guess it looks like light rail to me, where I use the term to mean something between the Amtrak long distance trains and the trolleys which isn't a subway.
Nope, definitely not light rail - SEPTA Regional Rail is a commuter train service with many of its lines sharing the same tracks as Amtrak. It’s actually heavy rail.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not a fan of the location at 4th and Chestnut, although one can walk a few blocks up Chestnut to catch the light rail line to the airport. It would be better to be at least a couple blocks farther south, toward the real Society Hill historic area.
You’re not going to get much closer to Society Hill - the only hotel located there is the Sheraton which is located on its unattractive eastern border. It’s literally one city block from the hotel to Walnut Street which is the northern border of Society Hill.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Mouse in Room

Stayed there in early Aug - Still trying to work it out with a very unresponsive Marriott customer care, but family was terrorized by a mouse in the room. They were only able to get us into a smaller room and give us 2 breakfast vouchers! They blamed construction in the area as the reason.

Packed up at midnight to the Marriott downtown - only a few mns walk from old town, better choice if you have to go Marriott.

Good luck & bring traps
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE
Any recent updates on what the hotel offers as far as platinum benefits? Do they offer breakfast for Platinums?

For parking, looks like the options are valet for $38 or self-park for $28. Is the self-park reasonably easy to access?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
Any recent updates on what the hotel offers as far as platinum benefits? Do they offer breakfast for Platinums?

For parking, looks like the options are valet for $38 or self-park for $28. Is the self-park reasonably easy to access?
Not super recent but we were here in July 16 with 2 rooms per night and got vouchers for cont brekkie for all 7 of us. There was an up-charge for the buffet available as well. (and no mice)
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by kklems
Not super recent but we were here in July 16 with 2 rooms per night and got vouchers for cont brekkie for all 7 of us. There was an up-charge for the buffet available as well. (and no mice)
Thanks for the info - good news on both counts.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Excerpt from a press release re: Renaissances:

"Also opening in Spring, Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown Hotel will boast a theatrical design reframing the historic fabric of the city with a modern energy, contrasting materiality and unexpected pop art throughout the hotel: from a reimagined lobby, reminiscent of Elfreth’s alley in Old Town anchored by a 100’ graffiti wall designed by local artist Dan Murphy, to the hotel’s restaurant, which features portraits of Benjamin Franklin’s five mistresses created with pixelated $100 bills."

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release. Officially open after multi-million $$ renovation:

Renaissance Hotels Brings High Design To Historic ?Old City? Philadelphia | Marriott News Center
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Any updates on recent stays here? I normally stay at the LeMeridien when I need to be in town for meetings but the rate for the night is over $500. I've used the aloft as a backup to the LeM but it's also over $70 more than the Renaissance. Renaissance is actually closer to where I need to be than both the LeM and aloft so trying it makes sense. Around the same price as the CY.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:12 am

Even though I didn't get any responses to my request on recent updates for this property, I ended up booking it for a one night stay a needed. As mentioned above, I typically stay at either the LeMeridien or the aloft when I need to be in town but the prices were ridiculously expensive at those properties. I like the LeM but I have had some serious issues with them and their lack of elite benefits being honored. The aloft is a nice option right around the corner but the rooms are not exactly spacious and it's pretty bare bones. Anyway...ended up booking the Renaissance and was overall very happy with my choice. Location can't be beat if you are in town for the tourist sites (and for me it happened to be closer to my meeting location).

Hotel was recently remodeled and it has a nice modern decor. I did find it odd that you basically walk into the lounge and bar area from the main entrance and there's no reception area to be seen anywhere. I actually had to ask where reception was and it turns out that you have to walk behind the bar and lounge area and turn to the left (elevators are to the right) and there's this tiny desk tucked away in the far corner. Check-in went smoothly and offered option of points or a $10 F&B voucher. Breakfast is free for elites in the restaurant (since there is no lounge) and you get a voucher for that at check-in. I had booked a Park View King and that is exactly what I got. Not sure if there are any real upgrade options because their website makes no mention of suites at all. I noticed that the hotel is pretty small with only 14 floors and like 10-12 rooms per floor.

Room itself was HUGE! (most other hotels would sell it as a Junior Suite IMHO). Nicely renovated in a sort of woodsy industrial look. Bath was also renovated and best of all they had Aveda products (which I miss from all my stays years ago at various W's) Here are some pics:

Breakfast was served in the restaurant as mentioned above. Elites get a voucher for a free continental breakfast and it's basically a buffet set up on the bar. Free option even offers scrambled eggs, potatoes and ham so it's actually more than a continental breakfast. We asked the server for some toast and an English muffin and they were brought out and there was no extra charge.

Service was very good from the servers at the restaurant to anyone we interacted with at the hotel.

To summarize, a surprisingly very good stay in a renovated hotel with huge rooms and great staff! I would stay here again without hesitation even likely picking it over the LeM and/or the aloft.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks @christianj for that nice review. I’ve considered this property for my groups, but wasn’t sure about its cost/benefit relative to some of my mainstays in town (normally either the LM, Westin, or the Sheraton Univ City). This helps a lot!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:11 pm

@bhrubin....glad it was helpful. If you have any questions let me know.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks @christianj for that nice review. I’ve considered this property for my groups, but wasn’t sure about its cost/benefit relative to some of my mainstays in town (normally either the LM, Westin, or the Sheraton Univ City). This helps a lot!
Agreed that it seems like a passable choice if needed. Philly has a surprisingly small number of nice hotels (Ritz, Westin, LM plus Rittenhouse and a couple other independents, then it drops off to Sheraton/Hilton-level stuff), and there have been some big sellouts going on lately. Good to know the options.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Oddly, at some point recently this property quietly went from Cat 5 to Cat 6. (Only the second one in Philly now, together with the RC.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.