Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email addresses (per post 154):

[email protected]

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The question remains, is this a practical option for anyone staying more than a single night, especially when the nearby Renaissance St. Pancras has a lounge with complimentary alcohol.
On my nights in London I would never consider staying in a lounge to drink, but horses for courses! The base rooms at the GNH look too small for a multi-night stay, but Plats are reliably upgraded and the combo of good F&B and great service makes this a frequent choice of mine for multi day stays - second choice at the mid London price point behind the Sheraton Grand Park Lane (sometimes GNH is prices the same, sometimes Ł150 a night less).

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Oct 14, 2018 at 2:11 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
The question remains, is this a practical option for anyone staying more than a single night, especially when the nearby Renaissance St. Pancras has a lounge with complimentary alcohol.
Spent plenty of longer stays here. Want a drink? They have a bar and also plenty of places within a 5 minute walk. Yay, free beer in some lame lounge...but it’s free and my benefit of being loyal...yada yada yada. So you get microwave eggs for breakfast too?

Again, if you want all the ‘free’ ‘my status gets me this or that or whatever’ then this is not the place for those types. It is the place for a unique property, well appointed rooms/hotel, Excellent food/drink, excellent transportation options, and the soon to be open Martini bar. Also, great outdoor seating for a sunny drink/coffee/snack.
EuropeanPete and UA-NYC like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
I’ve stayed at this hotel twice. First time, the hotel was full and I kept the Couchette room I booked. Second time, I was upgraded to one of those showerless Cubitt room. I have to say I preferred the Couchette being alone. Definitely had more style even though it was smaller.

The pantry is nice and the breakfast is the best I had in a hotel outside of Asia. Beats any buffet for sure.

itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Finally getting around to uploading some pics of the corner Cubitt Room I had during my stay posted about above.

Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj

The answer would depend on if the lounge and free alcohol is important for you in deciding where to stay. For me it is not that important as I don’t typically like large cookie cutter hotels and I like to get out of the lounge and experience local places. Different strokes for different folks! I will always prefer a breakfast option in the restaurant over a lounge and as long as I get water in the room I’m ok without a lounge. I actually don’t understand why anyone would spend longer than a couple of minutes in a lounge.
I think you've partly summed up the culture clash between legacy SPG customers and legacy MAR customers/management @:-)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think you've partly summed up the culture clash between legacy SPG customers and legacy MAR customers/management @:-)
I see what you are saying but there are also plenty of legacy SPG customers who look for all the freebies they can get (and indeed some of the more generous SPG properties give away a lot more in total value of elite freebies than the vast majority of legacy Marriott properties do).

That said, if you're someone who differentiates among quality levels in your freebies, you could argue that the value of the very high-quality breakfast at the GNH > the value of a mediocre lounge breakfast + evening happy hour. But that can also vary depending on purpose of trip, what else you're doing, how long you're staying, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I see what you are saying but there are also plenty of legacy SPG customers who look for all the freebies they can get (and indeed some of the more generous SPG properties give away a lot more in total value of elite freebies than the vast majority of legacy Marriott properties do).

That said, if you're someone who differentiates among quality levels in your freebies, you could argue that the value of the very high-quality breakfast at the GNH > the value of a mediocre lounge breakfast + evening happy hour. But that can also vary depending on purpose of trip, what else you're doing, how long you're staying, etc.
Of course, the world is too big to put everyone into 2 camps. But as a very small example: GNH vs the Renn across the street I think the difference is quite compelling and tells you a bit about each legacy company and the type of customers they were pleasing.

And I have no doubt that MAR will be making those generous legacy SPG properties fall into line of their signature consistency, we're hearing the complaints from SPG members already.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Of course, the world is too big to put everyone into 2 camps. But as a very small example: GNH vs the Renn across the street I think the difference is quite compelling and tells you a bit about each legacy company and the type of customers they were pleasing.

And I have no doubt that MAR will be making those generous legacy SPG properties fall into line of their signature consistency, we're hearing the complaints from SPG members already.
As far as the hotels are concerned, it's not about SPG vs MAR, it's about Tribute Portfolio vs. Renaissance.

It would be the reverse scenario if you were comparing a Sheraton with Autograph.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Finally getting around to uploading some pics of the corner Cubitt Room I had during my stay posted about above.
I've stayed in a room that looked to have the exact same floorplan, but had a shower. Perhaps the bathroom in yours is slightly less deep, and thus they opted for the bath.

Indeed, travelling solo and being reliably upgraded, I quite like the hotel. Kings Cross is great for getting around the city as well...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
(Yet) another good stay here, but disappointing to see that they've changed the TV so there's no longer the opening screen with a variety of free full movies. It's just TV channels now. What is notable is that their reception system has been updated, so the team is now very aware of Ambassador customers (not that I've ever been put in anything but the top category room in the last 2 years anyways).
makin'miles likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What is notable is that their reception system has been updated, so the team is now very aware of Ambassador customers (not that I've ever been put in anything but the top category room in the last 2 years anyways).
Any new recognition or amenities?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:24 pm

Any new recognition or amenities?
There's a new piece of paper to sign a la Marriott where you need to tick your preference - I've always thought this a bit tacky, but at least there's a paper trail given all the issues with the system. Choice of 1,000 points, breakfast, maybe something else? Nothing remarkable in any case. Honestly, getting a near guaranteed top level upgrade every single time is already pretty good going.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
There's a new piece of paper to sign a la Marriott where you need to tick your preference - I've always thought this a bit tacky, but at least there's a paper trail given all the issues with the system. Choice of 1,000 points, breakfast, maybe something else? Nothing remarkable in any case. Honestly, getting a near guaranteed top level upgrade every single time is already pretty good going.
But as an ambassador there wasn't anything extra? No welcome letter from general manager or surprise bottle of wine?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:19 pm

No, the hotel has never done those. There were 4 (lovely) little chocolates on the table, but I’ve been getting something similar since the hotel opened.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

No, the hotel has never done those. There were 4 (lovely) little chocolates on the table, but I’ve been getting something similar since the hotel opened.
That's pretty poor recognition for a frequent return guest, let alone someone with ambassador status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.