Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email addresses (per post 154):

[email protected]

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If you'll be leaving the GNH at a time to catch a 9am departure from LHR, then crowding is very unlikely to be a problem for you.
Moreover, I think an extra night at GNH and an early tube would be infinitely preferable to having to schlep to the Sheraton LHR on the previous evening, both in terms of the hotel quality and also the overall convenience/inconvenience.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
If you'll be leaving the GNH at a time to catch a 9am departure from LHR, then crowding is very unlikely to be a problem for you.
Originally Posted by stargold
Moreover, I think an extra night at GNH and an early tube would be infinitely preferable to having to schlep to the Sheraton LHR on the previous evening, both in terms of the hotel quality and also the overall convenience/inconvenience.
Thanks all, will stay the extra night. ^
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stargold
+1 to these recommendations. The last time I stayed at GNH, I moved to Sheraton LHR the night before my morning flight. In retrospect, I should have just stayed at Kings Cross. Nothing to do/eat out in beautiful Colnbrook Bypass.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I am having some reading issues - is the Cubbitt or Wainscott room larger? Looking for four nights for two people. This seems like best option for sub 300 GBP out of the 'interesting' SPG/Marriott properties (was hoping for St. Ermin's but price just got jacked up). Or so small better just to go for one of the others?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by leland
I am having some reading issues - is the Cubbitt or Wainscott room larger? Looking for four nights for two people. This seems like best option for sub 300 GBP out of the 'interesting' SPG/Marriott properties (was hoping for St. Ermin's but price just got jacked up). Or so small better just to go for one of the others?
Cubitts are the largest; Wainscots are on the top floor, walls are covered in dark oak and they have pitched ceilings because of the mansard roof. Stayed in a Wainscot room pre-SPG; they're lovely and high-quality but small is small.

That being said, the Cubitts may be larger [completed a stay in one of them last September] but there's no denying that the rooms at this hotel are on the smaller side. You'll get two people in there in a wee pinch; rooms have queen-sized beds and you actually get storage space in a Cubitt room so they're your best bet. Definitely get this hotel if you can; the location and connectivity are unbeatable, the pantries on each floor are super-convenient, the staff fabulous and the Plum + Spilt Milk restaurant is worth the price of entry alone.

My two cents!

khabah
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:28 pm

If anyone is considering a stay here they would be well advised to seek confirmation from the hotel about room type prior to arrival. Generally I don't bother doing that, preferring to take what's offered at checkin...usually having booked the cheapest room. By and large that has worked well for me, but NOT at this property.
Booked a one night stay , largely for the convenience of proximity to the Eurostar. Allocated a room the size of a walk-in closet. Not so much as a peg to hang a jacket, no chair, an elevated platform bed similar to those on night trains, hard and uncomfortable.
The excitement expressed by some about the end of corridor pantry....really? A coffee machine, fine; other than that, just some very average lemon cake and jars of sweets. Nothing to get excited about.
So the experience here is highly dependent on room type: I have no idea about the better rooms...certainly they sound infinitely better than the one I had.
My experience here as a LTP, relative to that at Andaz, Churchill , as Diamond, and even the Holiday Inn was simply terrible and extremely poor value for money. I wouldn't return in a million years but for those contemplating a stay I recommend contacting the hotel in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
My experience here as a LTP, relative to that at Andaz, Churchill , as Diamond, and even the Holiday Inn was simply terrible and extremely poor value for money.
Sorry for the bad experience, but if you had applied the (horrible) LM Piccadilly as reference point, you'd be in a much better mood now

Found the pantry cute, but agree, nothing that would get me excited and I prefer SGPL over GN.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Thanks for tips. Will avoid based on needing a bit of space. I'll probably go to Conrad, Andaz or Churchill. No hotel status left but could use a larger room.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

Has anybody been able to upgrade to a larger room using points (I've done this at other properties and know it requires a phone call)? The 12K points/night or cash + points rates are attractive, but I don't think my husband and I will be happy in a basic room for a week We are SPG Gold... my husband has a number of stays this year but won't kick over to Platinum.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've actually just today booked a couple of Wainscot (medium size) rooms for 13,500 points as the basic room was sold out. The two nights were an average of £280 a night, so it was great value.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
I tried using SNA last week and was denied. I believe I booked a wainscot and received a cubitt according to the photos on their website (I am Plat). It was a small room, the bathroom (toilet) was 6 feet from the side of the bed. Hotel was really nice though and I thought was a good location. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was very good, my wife really liked the avocado toast.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by discostu
I tried using SNA last week and was denied. I believe I booked a wainscot and received a cubitt according to the photos on their website (I am Plat). It was a small room, the bathroom (toilet) was 6 feet from the side of the bed. Hotel was really nice though and I thought was a good location. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was very good, my wife really liked the avocado toast.
I've had all of my SNA's here denied, as i believe they just have the 1 suite. But I've also booked the small couchette room, and every time I've been upgraded to the larger Cubbitt room.

Just booked a Cubitt room today calling the Ambassador line, as points weren't bookable online. They option was a Cubitt for 14,500 SPG pts. Not bad considering the rate is 356.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Exactly, there is just one suite here at the hotel, and while it is part of the upgrade pool for SNAs (and Plat upgrades, I believe), its just the one. I've been upgraded to the Cubitt on all of my stays bar one, when the hotel was sold out.

The pantry is a fine bonus, but wouldn't sway my stay. An outstanding breakfast in Plum and Spilt Milk, however, and connectively around London from Kings Cross is really great.

I've always stayed solo, and would definitely have second thoughts about booking here as a couple. The largest category Cubitt rooms are still very tight.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
One big plus for this property: the minibar is actually reasonably priced. Almost shocking!

E.g.:
Can of Coke / Diet Coke: £0.80
250ml juice: £1.20
Can of G&T: £3
Tyrrells crisps: £0.90
120g Maltesers: £1.50
SK likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Curious if anyone has any recent data points on whether the hotel is still pre-booking Plats into Cubitt rooms?

I made a booking for a few weeks from now on a date with Cubitt rooms showing as available but haven't been pre-upgraded a few days later. I know it's not a guarantee but just trying to get a feel for what may be offered ... I'm traveling with my husband so if it's looking like the Couchette room as of a day or two before arrival I'll cancel this in favor of something more spacious. Have also requested SNAs which would be nice but sounds like they don't work out very often here.

I also applied a Your24 request which came back approved, and my understanding is that requires the hotel to look at the booking, so if they still actively pre-upgrade and didn't do it while reviewing the booking for Your24, that seems like a bad sign. (And yeah I know SNAs can mess up Your24 but in this case if the SNAs cleared I'd be happy to forgo the Your24 in exchange for the added space.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.