Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email addresses (per post 154):

[email protected]

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Great Northern Hotel, Tribute Portfolio - London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Did they confirm it in writing (which is what I thought had happened), or have you just seen the room change after booking?

The sense I got from the duty manager is that Plats are pretty much guaranteed it, other SPG members will be pre-upgraded but they won't take the room out of the sales inventory.
Yep, got an email confirmation from the manager. I did ask them if an upgrade on arrival (paid with cash or points ) was possible.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Yep, got an email confirmation from the manager. I did ask them if an upgrade on arrival (paid with cash or points ) was possible.
In which case you should be all good. It is a nice hotel, so I hope you have a great stay when you visit
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC
In which case you should be all good. It is a nice hotel, so I hope you have a great stay when you visit
Thanks! I absolutely love the look of the building, the decoration, location and the fact that it's well sound proofed.

It was between this and the Park Lane, but I feel like GNH is cozier, more boutique type. And the pantry! The restaurant is apparently outstanding as well.... Would have been happier even in the Couchette room.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:26 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just to add my two cents...

Stayed here for about a week last month.

- Perfect location. 45 second walk out the front door to the St. Pancras Eurostar check-in and sitting right on top of Kings Cross train/Tube station.
- Small rooms (by US standards), but extremely well-appointed. Lovely bathroom (with heated towel rack), bath amenities, and still/sparkling water each day.
- Extremely well soundproofed! You would never realise that you're staying just metres above Kings Cross/St. Pancras.
- Pantry was a nice touch. (I'm guilty of wandering down there early morning in my robe/slippers just to grab a quick cake and cup of espresso. )
- Staff were delightful and accommodating in every way.

Not the cheapest place to stay, but I found the convenience and piece-of-mind to be well worth the price.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JY1024
Stayed here for about a week last month.

- Perfect location. 45 second walk out the front door to the St. Pancras Eurostar check-in and sitting right on top of Kings Cross train/Tube station.
- Small rooms (by US standards), but extremely well-appointed. Lovely bathroom (with heated towel rack), bath amenities, and still/sparkling water each day.
- Extremely well soundproofed! You would never realise that you're staying just metres above Kings Cross/St. Pancras.
- Pantry was a nice touch. (I'm guilty of wandering down there early morning in my robe/slippers just to grab a quick cake and cup of espresso. )
- Staff were delightful and accommodating in every way.

Not the cheapest place to stay, but I found the convenience and piece-of-mind to be well worth the price.
Just got back from 6 nights in this hotel. All business, I spent 6-14 hours a day working in the room, plus sleeping. Sort of an odd property, but the review above is excellent. I will mention:
- VERY quiet. Like staying in a hotel by yourself sometimes.
- GREAT internet. I never had a problem, not once in 6 days (and it didn't even require me to "renew" it all the time."
- GOOD breakfast. For Platinum it is "choose what you want from the menu."
- OUTSTANDING location. Literally one minute from the front door to the train station or the underground, without crossing a street.
- SMALL rooms. I was alone, and upgraded to Cubbitt. And I like to sit on my bed and work (my legs fold flat). But, as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think I would stay there with my wife. (We were in London six week earlier and stayed at St. Ermin's (Marriott on points)).
- ENJOYABLE pantry. Even though there was a coffee machine in the room, I never used it. (I was in x04, which was one door from the pantry, so I just walked out, got my coffee, went back to my room). I enjoyed the cake and the other 2 sweets, and the occasional fresh fruit. But it was the exact same cake and 2 sweets every day, maybe some variety in the future?
- WONDERFUL staff. The bartender (the small bar upstairs) was one of the highlights of my stay. The front desk people were unfailingly helpful (although I was surprised to learn that the woman working in the evening didn't know that about 2 blocks from the hotel are some great Kebab and Indian restaurants that are open VERY late).
Old May 1, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
I've had two stays now here - one in December and the other just last week. And I can say that over this short span of time, they have improved (and they didn't need much improvement).

I love the location and the overall look/feel of the hotel, but I was almost somewhat hesitant on re-booking here because I was celebrating an SPG milestone and I was afraid that it might go overlooked. (Sounds whiny I know...but hitting LTP is a big deal to me.)

I was basing my decision on the excellent platinum recognition and staff service that I received in December at the Sheraton Park Lane.
Do I go for renovated hotel w great platinum recognition OR a newer property w fabulous amenities w slightly colder platinum recogntion? Plus I had emailed the property about my milestone stay and never heard back. So that was my dilemma...

I can happily say that Great Northern now earned my vote for first choice in hotels for my next visits to London. They were so warm and inviting, I will honestly feel like I'm staying with friends and not a hotel.

Here's what I experienced w my recent 3-night stay:
  • Wonderful hand-written welcome note in room from mgmt on arrival
  • Literally 5min after walking into room, received champagne bucket on ice
  • ALL staff throughout were exceptional! Front desk, Snug bar, Plum+Spilt milk, housekeeping
  • Upgrade to Cubitt room on 4th floor (I believe this is the SPG floor), and as others noted this was visible on the app shortly after booking
  • I shared my excitement with the staff and they were genuinely excited with me
  • Chose the Platinum breakfast every morning (it's so worth it!)

Someone had mentioned Francesco before, and they were right - - he is amazing! He's the manager in the Plum + Spilt Milk restaurant. Make sure you connect with him, his Italian hospitality is bar none.
And also Fabio, bartender mainly in the Snug Bar. While I didn't see him this trip, he makes a fabulous Negroni and again excellent Italian hospitality!
Another staff member to search out, is Benjamin at the Front Desk - but I believe he is a concierge. Spot on restaurant recommendations, all walkable.
Dishoom - Indian
Granger - Australian comfort

One other thing to mention, is that now that I've been in two different Cubitt rooms on the 4th floor, there is a difference in layout. In December the Cubitt room I was in had a complete bathroom, and I believe slightly larger floorplan. And in April the Cubitt room I was in had a separate WC (which truly is immediate off the bed) and a larger shower room. Of the two, I prefer the Cubitt that has the one-room bathroom, so maybe ask for that availability upon arrival.

Enjoy, hopefully you'll love GNH too!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Staying here at the moment based on the reviews in this thread. I agree that it's a great little hotel.

It looks brand new and has a genuine period charm. The Flyertalkers of the 1850s would have stayed in the hotel and ones like it. The rooms were small as the Middle Class didn't have the money to stay in grand large hotels in the West End - and 150 years later we're back there again. The mid-century style is to my personal taste and it reminds of what British Airways was trying to do when they relaunched the First product, right down to the hotel's cartoon on the bespoke Platinum key cover.

I booked a Couchette Room (smallest) and was upgraded to my choice of format and view Cubitt Room (largest). The room is large enough, though worthwhile noting that the bed isn't a British or American King-size, so would be smaller than some couples are used to. I'm paying £180 a night which I get the impression is cheaper than it usually is. This will be my go-to hotel in London when it fits with my budget.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Is this place easy to to from Heathrow airport? Any recommended options? Cabs are in expensive in UK!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Is this place easy to to from Heathrow airport? Any recommended options? Cabs are in expensive in UK!
If you can lug your bags, hop on a tube at the airport and just stay on until you get to King's Cross St. Pancras; it's on the same [Piccadilly/blue] line so you don't have to get off anywhere or change.

As soon as you get to King's Cross, just go up to street level and you'll find the hotel literally next to you on your side of the street. Easy and won't set you back more than six quid.

khabah
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by khabah
If you can lug your bags, hop on a tube at the airport and just stay on until you get to King's Cross St. Pancras; it's on the same [Piccadilly/blue] line so you don't have to get off anywhere or change.

As soon as you get to King's Cross, just go up to street level and you'll find the hotel literally next to you on your side of the street. Easy and won't set you back more than six quid.

khabah
I agree with khabah. If you have a bag that you can pull/push, you will be OK.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
UberX will get you there for £35-40, UberPOP for less. But if you must do public transport, then it's really the easiest place to get to as you just stay on one line.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Originally Posted by zakami
I agree with khabah. If you have a bag that you can pull/push, you will be OK.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
UberX will get you there for £35-40, UberPOP for less. But if you must do public transport, then it's really the easiest place to get to as you just stay on one line.
Thanks for the info, I only have a handcarry luggage so will try the subway.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks for the info, I only have a handcarry luggage so will try the subway.
Just remember if you are leaving from GNH to LHR in the morning, King's Cross subway might be overcrowded with no place for luggage. That happened to me on my day of departure. The subway was blocking people from entering for around 15 mins and the train was full.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Just remember if you are leaving from GNH to LHR in the morning, King's Cross subway might be overcrowded with no place for luggage. That happened to me on my day of departure. The subway was blocking people from entering for around 15 mins and the train was full.
I see, my flight from LHR (waiting for e-ticket) leaves around 9am so I probably will stay at the Sheraton Heathrow the night before.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I see, my flight from LHR (waiting for e-ticket) leaves around 9am so I probably will stay at the Sheraton Heathrow the night before.
If you'll be leaving the GNH at a time to catch a 9am departure from LHR, then crowding is very unlikely to be a problem for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.