Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Duo Milan Porta Nuova, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duo Milan Porta Nuova, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
I prefer hotels without any kind of prostitutes in front of it.
OK, the other option being hotels with prostitutes in the lobby and/or at the bar. Name me an upscale hotel in Europe that doesn't have this? Go ahead and choose from Italy, France, Spain, England, Germany...
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
hotels with prostitutes in the lobby and/or at the bar. Name me an upscale hotel in Europe that doesn't have this?
You can’t be serious...
Let’s see, just thinking about my last few stays, these did NOT have this specific “feature”:

Westin Rotterdam
Westin Frankfurt
IC Köln
IC Düsseldorf
Hilton Lyon
Le Méridien Torino
Hilton Madrid airport

Actually, I only remember one European hotel, an Holiday Inn in Lisboa, that had girls looking for customers in the bar. Or maybe I’ve just never noticed it.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koby
You can’t be serious...
Let’s see, just thinking about my last few stays, these did NOT have this specific “feature”:

Westin Rotterdam
Westin Frankfurt
IC Köln
IC Düsseldorf
Hilton Lyon
Le Méridien Torino
Hilton Madrid airport

Actually, I only remember one European hotel, an Holiday Inn in Lisboa, that had girls looking for customers in the bar. Or maybe I’ve just never noticed it.
I think you've just never noticed it. All the Frankfurt hotels I've been to, including Starwood and IC, have eastern European prostitutes very prominentaly displayed in the bar. As do pretty much all German business hotels. After all, it's legal in Germany. As it is in Holland (Rotterdam). I've only been to the Hilton Lyon once and I wasn't paying attention, but I've seen prostitutes working in lots of other French hotels including of course the IC Paris. I don't know about the Madrid airport, but there are loads in Madrid city center. Torino too.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:27 am

OK, to be clear, your main objection to the FP Milano is that unlike other hotels, their prostitutes are not straight? Do I have it right?
Certainly sounds like.

Who cares if there are prostitutes OUTSIDE? It's not like they are plying for business in the corridors of the hotel.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
Booked the four points for next week...its fair in milano, and it was the only one affortable...
will report later...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here this week, and have stayed here before- as mentioned by another poster, when there is a major fair in milano during the week prices skyrocket- thus the Diana Majestic where I usually stay was quoting 378 EUR for a single room, and the Four Points was a good choice at 190 EUR including breakfast.

For those of you who don't know, this was an older hotel which was rebranded as a Four Points in 2001. The hotel is located around the corner from the Hilton and 1.5 blocks away from the Gallia, meaning that the walking distance to the main train station of Milan is less than 5 minutes. The metro is also within walking distance- you have two stops less than 5 minutes away, and every major rental car agency is within 2 minutes, as are taxi stands. Transportation hub wise- this hotel is very well located. As others have mentioned- the area at night is not that great- although I think it has been very much exaggerated here about what you will find- what you will find is that this is a CBD that closes down at night- you need to go towards other areas like Navigli or the area near Bocconi and up/down Corso Buenos Aires if you want to find a lot going on in the evening. For work, however, it is well located.

Check In:
Greeted by a very friendly check in woman, and I really didn't expect my room to be ready (I just wanted to drop off my luggage), however she mentioned she found me a room that was ready (it was 11 A). Asked if I needed any help with directions etc, recognized SPG status, and explained where breakfast was. Hotel was 100% occupancy, as was practically every other hotel in Milano.

Room:
Usual for Milano- very small room- even though I always book a double for single use, it was not very large. It was very clean, and the bathroom was nice as were the towels, sheets etc. I know some here care, so note the TV is still the old tube type- I didn't turn it on so cannot comment on anything else. Big plus is windows that open, although be prepared that Milano is not that quiet of a city.

Breakfast:
Breakfast here, for an Italian hotel, is excellent- it was also very busy with a mix of European, Asian, and North American guests- and the hotel seems to have done its best to cater to all tastes. The Nespresso machine is always the big hit with everyone. Service was very attentive, and they seemed to want to make sure everyone was taken care of- manager very much in attendance, and was greeting regular guests.

Check Out:
10 minute queue for check out- before someone says "just slide the bill under the door", please recall this won't work for Italian accounting laws (not the fault of the hotel). In any event, very pleasant young woman who was a trainee from the hotel institute near milan (her nametag identified this) was able to process the charge, which was correct.

Overall:
The Diana Majestic, this is not, however for a quick couple of days working this hotel represents good value with a great location from a transport perspective. I would say the hotel is a solid 3* by international standards, and nicer than some hotels I have stayed in near the centre of Milano. The Hilton around the corner is typically about 30 EUR more per night, and the rooms are pretty much the same, although I think the service is better at the 4 points. Obviously, if it is not cost prohibitive there are nicer options in Milan, but actually the room quality is pretty much the same as the Gallia, the staff are very friendly, and service is consistent.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
The Four Points was also ok for me...only sad that I didnt get a better upgrate than to superior...but hotel was 100% booked.
Breakfast really good, and the room was very clean.
Price was 158 euro per night during fair, very good for milano
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parking a rip-off (and tips)

Everything in this property, especially the service, is very good, but be aware that parking is valet only and is a whopping EUR 29 overnight, and only until 12 noon the next day (if you pick up the car in the afternoon you get dinged an extra charge).

You're better off parking elsewhere, such as in the self-park in the lot next to the nearby Hilton, which is EUR 20 per 24 hours. Other parking lots in the area are as low as EUR 15, cheaper in the week-ends:
  • Parking Cornalia, via Cornalia 7/9, 07.00 - 20.30, 02 6707 6216
  • Garage Pirelli, via Pirelli 18/20, 07.00 - 23.00, Tel 02 6698 0773
  • Park Pisani, via Vittor Pisani 15/A, ap. h24, Tel 02 6698 6260
They're all a 3-6 minute walk from the hotel.

There's also an open lot in front of the hotel; you can stay indefinitely, but you you have to buy enough "grattini" (parking cards) from a tobacconist or newsstand to pay for your stay between the hours of ~8am to 7pm (IIRC), and at EUR 2/hour it's not a good deal for longish stays, although it's free on week-ends.

Of course, you really don't need/want a car in central Milano, so if you're transiting there and unless there's a reason for you to have one (such as you're borrowing somebody's car or you have business in the outskirts), return your rental when you get there and pick it up again when you're leaving.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by hillrider
Everything in this property, especially the service, is very good, but be aware that parking is valet only and is a whopping EUR 29 overnight, and only until 12 noon the next day (if you pick up the car in the afternoon you get dinged an extra charge).

You're better off parking elsewhere, such as in the self-park in the lot next to the nearby Hilton, which is EUR 20 per 24 hours. Other parking lots in the area are as low as EUR 15, cheaper in the week-ends:
  • Parking Cornalia, via Cornalia 7/9, 07.00 - 20.30, 02 6707 6216
  • Garage Pirelli, via Pirelli 18/20, 07.00 - 23.00, Tel 02 6698 0773
  • Park Pisani, via Vittor Pisani 15/A, ap. h24, Tel 02 6698 6260
They're all a 3-6 minute walk from the hotel.

There's also an open lot in front of the hotel; you can stay indefinitely, but you you have to buy enough "grattini" (parking cards) from a tobacconist or newsstand to pay for your stay between the hours of ~8am to 7pm (IIRC), and at EUR 2/hour it's not a good deal for longish stays, although it's free on week-ends.

Of course, you really don't need/want a car in central Milano, so if you're transiting there and unless there's a reason for you to have one (such as you're borrowing somebody's car or you have business in the outskirts), return your rental when you get there and pick it up again when you're leaving.
There are also 4 spaces infront (literally of the door) of the hotel

Park there - space permitting - and you pay zero
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:14 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I had a last minute booking this week-end and arrived at the hotel 20mn after booking the room on the SPG web site. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite with a Jacuzzi with a television (somewhat like some rooms at the GB in Athens). Except for the orange juice, breakfast was excellent and overall service was very good.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What does this hotel do for Platinums? Free breakfast or bottle of wine, etc? Ive stayed here 3-4 years ago and was upgraded to a suite with windows that open and a living area. I remember elegant fabric wall coverings as well. As a Plat, I appreciate the free Internet opposed to using the computers that were in the lobby on my last visit. For a two-person stay, is it imperative to note that on the reservation or is it ok to book a room for one person, but have two people in it?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually get that two-room suite with the fabric wall coverings too. And I don't think it is a problem at any Starwood hotel to show up with a single partner even if you only reserved for one. At least not if you are Platinum.

I'm not a breakfast person so I can't help you with that one.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
I usually get that two-room suite with the fabric wall coverings too. And I don't think it is a problem at any Starwood hotel to show up with a single partner even if you only reserved for one. At least not if you are Platinum.

I'm not a breakfast person so I can't help you with that one.
I have always been upgraded -> mostly to executive room where there is either the jacuzzi + TV in bathroom or the "excercise" room

You get 1 free water but be careful - if its not already in the room you have to ask for it

ALL minbar products = 5€ (single charge) which for a bottle of acqua is steep

Very good at crediting points /stays - never had any problems^
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
And I don't think it is a problem at any Starwood hotel to show up with a single partner even if you only reserved for one. At least not if you are Platinum.
Good to know because the rate changes when it goes to 2 people in the room. I just want to make sure they arent going to give me a significant uptick in the rate because of that. Some European hotels are very strict about that stuff, but perhaps that is when it is from 2 to 3 people. Anyone tried this before?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1>2 yes. 2>3 no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.