Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sunmarina Resort, Okinawa, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Smoking Policy

All guest rooms are 100% non-smoking. Smoking is only allowed in public areas and restaurants. There is a smoking area available on each floor.

Ongoing Construction through November 2016

The resort is undergoing several construction projects, which are subject to change without notice:

• Through September 2016, a new restaurant wing and meeting rooms will be under construction.
  • Through October 2016, the Sheraton Fitness center, indoor pool, communal bath, private family bath, spa, beach bar, and wedding chapel will be under construction.
  • Through November 2016, a new wing with 45 guest rooms will be under construction.

Construction work is authorized from 10am to 6pm daily, and noise disturbances may occur from 11am to 5pm. The outdoor garden pool will be available as the new waterpark until October 31, 2016. Please contact the resort for more information.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Sunmarina Resort, Okinawa, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 7:30 am

H. Thoughts

I specifically chose this hotel to get a sneak preview of what will be the first SPG hotel in Okinawa.

As it is, it is not a luxury hotel, but it is a decent beachfront hotel very much like a um... Sheraton. The rooms seem to have been refurbished to the extent possible, given the constraints of the original structure. Presumably the new wing/annex will have more luxurious rooms.

The beach is decent though it is not the Maldives.

The GM is very friendly and according to the web has much experience in the hotel industry and Japan in particular. He expressed great excitement that they would be joining the SPG system.

I would consider going back again if I were to visit Okinawa, but I would definitely wait until everything was up and running. Which means Dec 2016 or later.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I specifically chose this hotel to get a sneak preview of what will be the first SPG hotel in Okinawa.
Thank you for the detailed report. Very interesting.
Hope I'll be able to give it a try this year.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, travelswithmyself, for the detailed review and all the great pictures. That was an exceptional report.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
a Cat 5 resort.

Thanks again to travelswithmyself for the very first review.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Anyone stay here since they re-opened as a Sheraton? Picking between this and the Hilton Chatan and wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Wiki updated

Wiki updated.

Smoking Policy

All guest rooms are 100% non-smoking. Smoking is only allowed in public areas and restaurants. There is a smoking area available on each floor.

Man I hate smoke indoors...

Ongoing Construction through November 2016

The resort is undergoing several construction projects, which are subject to change without notice:

• Through September 2016, a new restaurant wing and meeting rooms will be under construction.
  • Through October 2016, the Sheraton Fitness center, indoor pool, communal bath, private family bath, spa, beach bar, and wedding chapel will be under construction.
  • Through November 2016, a new wing with 45 guest rooms will be under construction.

Construction work is authorized from 10am to 6pm daily, and noise disturbances may occur from 11am to 5pm. The outdoor garden pool will be available as the new waterpark until October 31, 2016. Please contact the resort for more information.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Booked this place to stay with my family for the Japan Do #6 . Tripadvisor reports say that SPG gold get moved to the south tower. Will report back!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat, iHG Spire, JGC Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Booked this place to stay with my family for the Japan Do #6 . Tripadvisor reports say that SPG gold get moved to the south tower. Will report back!
will visit here next week,
heard theres no lounge but you get breakfast and lunch coupon
can't wait to visit if this is true.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The new 'south tower' has a lounge. See the comment in post #15 above.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Robbie0129
will visit here next week,
heard theres no lounge but you get breakfast and lunch coupon
can't wait to visit if this is true.
will stay here next weeks also,
What is the lunch coupon, any advise?
I booked the rate with breakfast and my ambassador said i can convert it for lunch buffet.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Nice retro looking atrium hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:57 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The new 'south tower' has a lounge. See the comment in post #15 above.
The post says he don't remember if there will be a new lounge, and the hotel confirms no lounge
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:59 am

Talking

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
will stay here next weeks also,
What is the lunch coupon, any advise?
I booked the rate with breakfast and my ambassador said i can convert it for lunch buffet.
1 free lunch coupon per stay,
I dont find it useful to have lunch buffet after your breakfast buffet tho
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Robbie0129
1 free lunch coupon per stay,
I dont find it useful to have lunch buffet after your breakfast buffet tho
For any booking as part of platinum benefit? I didnot heard anything from the hotel
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
With the cancellation of a cruise we decided to spend more time in Japan as it is a country we love. We also thought it would be a good opportunity to visit Okinawa. We spent 2 nights at the DT Schuri Castle and 3 nights at this Sheraton.
Now a tip we got from a Sheraton manager is that in Japan it is always advisable to arrive a little before 3pm because the Japanese are governed by time. For example trains and busses always leave right on time. So for hotels checkin time is 3PM so that is when the Japanese arrive. It certainly was true in this case. We arrived at 2.45PM and virtually no queue though we did have to wait a little while for our room-but given a free drink in the bar.At 3PM the hordes arrived and the queue was out the door.

So to the room.

We did wonder how we would get out of bed in the mornings!
But a great balcony with lovely views.

Great bathroom. With separate toilet across the corridor.

Complimentary Okinawan sweets and mini bar though not replenished
Much more to come after breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.