Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard San Diego Gaslamp/Convention Center

Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ention-center/

Just opened. Cat 7.

"The 90-room, 14-story Courtyard by Marriott brings not only a cutting-edge hotel to San Diego's vibrant downtown, but also enhances the city's dining and nightlife landscape with a distinctive rooftop lounge, The Nolen, which will open in early November.

The Nolen, named for San Diego city-planning pioneer John Nolen, is a 2,500 square-foot venue located on the 14th floor and features an innovative menu with modern takes on throwback cocktails and traditional comfort foods. The space was designed by the award-winning firm whose portfolio includes other notable dining launches, such as Juniper & Ivy, Catania and Kettner Exchange.

The Courtyard San Diego Gaslamp/Convention Center is situated between San Diego's vibrant Gaslamp Quarter and East Village neighborhoods within walking distance to numerous dining, entertainment and shopping options as well as the San Diego Convention Center, Petco Park, Westfield Horton Plaza, Seaport Village, and the U.S.S. Midway Museum."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 4, 2015 at 8:30 am Reason: fixed the category...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Cat 8?! (Edit: Cat 7, which is almost as egregious.) The Marriott Marquis San Diego, less than 0.5 miles away and a 10 minute walk, is also a cat 7.

Last edited by LoganFlyer; Nov 4, 2015 at 9:54 am Reason: Corrected category
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Cat 8?! The Marriott Marquis San Diego, less than 0.5 miles away and a 10 minute walk, is only a cat 7.
Don't worry, I can guarantee they'll be there in a few months...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:05 pm

Courtyard San Diego Gaslamp is a Cat 7 per its website
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
See my above post...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: MAR platinum, UA, DL
Unpleasant experience before hotel opened

Had unpleasant experience before hotel opened. Made reservations on Marriott website in July for two rooms for late October using points. Noticed on website about a month before arrival that hotel showed it would not be open until November 15. At that time took no action assuming hotel would notify me and help arrange for another hotel. At that time rooms for points were available at Courtyard San Diego Downtown for dates of my stay. This hotel is same category (7). About two weeks before my arrival GM from Gaslamp hotel called and advised it could not honor reservations, said he would help, and suggested I change reservation to hotel by the airport. This was not acceptable since we wanted to stay in Gaslamp Quarter. We talked a couple of times and he continued to offer to help, but little help was provided. The Courtyard San Diego Downtown showed availability using points for my visit shortly before arrival. This is an excellent hotel located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter (a more central location than the Gaslamp hotel). I asked the GM at the Gaslamp CY about the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee since I had two confirmed reservations that were not honored by the hotel. He said the guarantee did not apply since the hotel had not opened. Next time I'm in San Diego I certainly plan to stay at the Courtyard San Diego Downtown and will not consider the Gaslamp CY.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Caseyblue
Courtyard San Diego Gaslamp is a Cat 7 per its website
Sorry; my bad. Read it wrong. Will fix the OP.

Originally Posted by lfrank
Had unpleasant experience before hotel opened. Made reservations on Marriott website in July for two rooms for late October using points. Noticed on website about a month before arrival that hotel showed it would not be open until November 15. At that time took no action assuming hotel would notify me and help arrange for another hotel. At that time rooms for points were available at Courtyard San Diego Downtown for dates of my stay. This hotel is same category (7). About two weeks before my arrival GM from Gaslamp hotel called and advised it could not honor reservations, said he would help, and suggested I change reservation to hotel by the airport. This was not acceptable since we wanted to stay in Gaslamp Quarter. We talked a couple of times and he continued to offer to help, but little help was provided. The Courtyard San Diego Downtown showed availability using points for my visit shortly before arrival. This is an excellent hotel located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter (a more central location than the Gaslamp hotel). I asked the GM at the Gaslamp CY about the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee since I had two confirmed reservations that were not honored by the hotel. He said the guarantee did not apply since the hotel had not opened. Next time I'm in San Diego I certainly plan to stay at the Courtyard San Diego Downtown and will not consider the Gaslamp CY.
I can understand your frustration, but I also think - since you specifically wanted to be in the Gaslamp district - that you needed to be pro-active vs. reactive to the new property's opening being delayed. If it were me, while I would have hoped the new hotel would be pro-active itself in contacting me & making similar arrangements, ultimately making sure a ressie that fits my needs is up to me. So at the 1-month mark when you first noticed the discrepancy/realized the other property was available I would have switched my ressie to that vs. waiting to be contacted.

The GM's correct (unfortunately) that Marriott excludes the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee on new properties/openings slip. It's not mentioned specifically in their T&C, but that's pretty much been the way it's been to date as reported on different threads.

BTW - I think making sure your future reservations are at the CY Downtown vs. CY GL/CC is a perfect walk your talk based on your experience wrt to the opening being delayed/GM's response.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I agree that the CY Gaslamp should have been more proactive. But since this was on points, they're both Cat 7, and the downtown CY had points availability, couldn't you just have cancelled the CY Gaslamp reservation and booked the Downtown CY using those points?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or held reservations at both properties?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The GM's correct (unfortunately) that Marriott excludes the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee on new properties/openings slip. It's not mentioned specifically in their T&C, but that's pretty much been the way it's been to date as reported on different threads.
I think this is the clause that the GM is likely invoking:

A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Had unpleasant experience before hotel opened. Made reservations on Marriott website in July for two rooms for late October using points. Noticed on website about a month before arrival that hotel showed it would not be open until November 15. At that time took no action assuming hotel would notify me and help arrange for another hotel.
Unfortunately that was your first mistake.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 3, 2016 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

Hotel is located in a converted bank....
I think you are talking about the Courtyard Downtown and not the Courtyard Gaslamp (subject of this thread).
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by keeton
I think you are talking about the Courtyard Downtown and not the Courtyard Gaslamp (subject of this thread).
Thanks. Moved to San Diego properties thread.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I was going to suggest that we have the mod move Kacee's post to the CY downtown thread since it was a good write-up, but s/he just deleted the post. Ah, s/he was moving it while I was typing.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.