Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Is the Exe Lounge still there?

Yes, it's on the 1st floor.
I was there last week.

Nice morning and evening selection (remember at least 3 different warm evening dishes plus warm soup).
It has around 20 to 25 tables total, plus a long high table with around 8 high chairs.
It has a large "balcony" on which around 7 tables overlook the inside atrium and bar/restaurant area below.
But, no windows and no views to the outside though.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:58 am

Was here last week and enjoyed my stay.
Everything both in the lobby and common areas and in the room was in very good shape and is similiar in style to other westin hotels I have stayed at.
Was upgraded to quite a large room.
Lounge is of a good standard.
Windows CAN be opened for fresh air at this hotel.
Weekend rates can be a very good deal.

On the ground floor there is both a fancy looking asian/chinese restaurant and a nice teppanyaki style japanese restaurant in the hotel. I did not have time to eat at either, but they both looked nice.

My only gripes are the following:

-They (apparently) have no flat walk in showers...just rooms with showers in bathtubs (except in rooms with a single bed for 1 person).

-The bathroom was quite small compared the huge size of the room. Could have made better use of the space. However, the inside of the bathroom was quite nice.

-The lighting in the room seemed quite dim at night. Despite turning on all the lights I never felt is was bright enough to read or see things properly.

Despite these minor things, I would return to this property again if I need to be in Frankfurt again.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Yes, it's on the 1st floor.
I was there last week.

Nice morning and evening selection (remember at least 3 different warm evening dishes plus warm soup).
It has around 20 to 25 tables total, plus a long high table with around 8 high chairs.
It has a large "balcony" on which around 7 tables overlook the inside atrium and bar/restaurant area below.
But, no windows and no views to the outside though.
Someone mentioned on another thread that The Westin lounge does not offer breakfast and evening selections on Saturdays, any chance you could confirm this?
Many thanks,
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
Someone mentioned on another thread that The Westin lounge does not offer breakfast and evening selections on Saturdays, any chance you could confirm this?
Many thanks,

I ate a full breakfast inside the lounge on a saturday morning.

Don't know about the saturday evening, as I checked out that day, but I saw no obvious sign it would not serve evening food later. As far as I could see this lounge is full service every day of the week.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:24 pm

Thanks for your reply est-gratuite! That is good to know.

The other post mentioned that there was a sign in April, so maybe it was just a one-off!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:41 pm

Has this hotel reopened yet? any updated reviews?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Perhaps, this hotel was renovated yesterday? I mean, wow, what a lovely modern Westin design - great first impressions! So many light woods and pleasant colors. Plus, an upgrade the night before to a bi-level loft Duplex Suite is a major score - even better that it was ready at 10:15 AM, even though the property is hosting a conference, too!
Old Mar 11, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Perhaps, this hotel was renovated yesterday? I mean, wow, what a lovely modern Westin design - great first impressions! So many light woods and pleasant colors. Plus, an upgrade the night before to a bi-level loft Duplex Suite is a major score - even better that it was ready at 10:15 AM, even though the property is hosting a conference, too!
What a grand and lovely Westin! This was a fantastic stay - Arabella (which still runs this hotel - it used to be a member of the joint ownership venture between Starwood and Arabella) can definitely run a good hotel. The obviously recent renovations are beautiful - so many light woods that the keys are even wooden! A focus on comfort is much appreciated - I love seeing Westin continue its plush legacy with no shortage of Heaven in the bed. Top that off with friendly service, a bi-level suite upgrade, and delicious German pancakes, and you have a lovely package! Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded automatically the night before to a bi-level Duplex Suite, which was beautifully designed with 1.5 bathrooms (powder room on ground floor and a full bath upstairs with the bedroom) and a lovely loft aesthetic - it felt residential in all of the right ways
    • This happened even though the hotel was home to large forum that was filling the event spaces and breakfast area
  • Suite was ready at 10:15 AM, and I was asked to wait in the lounge upon arrival at 9:30 AM (where I could take advantage of breakfast) - the front desk attendant brought my key up, once ready
  • Had to ask, but no issue with 2 PM late checkout and no Housekeeping knocking despite not having a DND sign (no one did)
  • Comfortable couches and chairs throughout
  • Nice views toward German roofs and the Commerzbank Tower
  • Bed was wonderful and comfortable with plush covers, soft linens, plush mattress, and some fat pillows (I preferred the feather ones as the others were a bit too plush for my neck) - had a lovely 10 hours of sleep
  • Shower pressure from the wand head was very nice - hint: press the button on the wand once for stronger pressure
  • Lovely mix of White Tea and Malin and Goetz toiletries - it was like I was at a Le Meridien (I noticed the housekeeping carts only had White Tea, so this was a temp issue)
  • Brought a really funny welcome gift of apples, dried apples, and apple juice - someone really likes apples :-)
  • Friendly front desk service from all
  • Westin Club is nice
    • Breakfast (first morning) is more than the continental described as it had eggs and bacon
    • Enjoyed the cocoa powder by the coffee machine
    • Had a nice bread roll and olive oil in the evening
  • Restaurant breakfast (I chose as my welcome gift) is worth the choice IMO for the delicious fluffy pancakes - Germany definitely has the best pancakes (the Sheraton at the airport had the same).
    • Breakfast was busy, but they had a nice overflow room that was nice and calm
  • HEATED floors in the bathrooms - this was crazy - water on the floor dried up so quickly
Cons:
  • Evening service in the club was a bit limited with a soup and salad bar, but no dessert options
  • Shower and toilet setup is a bit odd as if you aren't standing in front of the wand, the water spills out pretty quickly - luckily, the heated floors really help
Overall, I loved this hotel and will definitely return.

Photos:

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:46 am

One point I forgot to mention: the TVs didn't have native Internet TV apps and the Chromecast functionality seemed to lead to a black screen (at least in the living room).

Still, though, loved the hotel!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
So is "Quattro" affiliated with the hotel?

David
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
So is "Quattro" affiliated with the hotel?

David
Don't think so - there was even a relatively non-occupied shopping gallery in the same building as the hotel that was accessible from a back entrance but blocked off from the actual hotel.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
What a grand and lovely Westin! This was a fantastic stay - Arabella (which still runs this hotel - it used to be a member of the joint ownership venture between Starwood and Arabella) can definitely run a good hotel. The obviously recent renovations are beautiful - so many light woods that the keys are even wooden! A focus on comfort is much appreciated - I love seeing Westin continue its plush legacy with no shortage of Heaven in the bed. Top that off with friendly service, a bi-level suite upgrade, and delicious German pancakes, and you have a lovely package! Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded automatically the night before to a bi-level Duplex Suite, which was beautifully designed with 1.5 bathrooms (powder room on ground floor and a full bath upstairs with the bedroom) and a lovely loft aesthetic - it felt residential in all of the right ways
    • This happened even though the hotel was home to large forum that was filling the event spaces and breakfast area
  • Suite was ready at 10:15 AM, and I was asked to wait in the lounge upon arrival at 9:30 AM (where I could take advantage of breakfast) - the front desk attendant brought my key up, once ready
  • Had to ask, but no issue with 2 PM late checkout and no Housekeeping knocking despite not having a DND sign (no one did)
  • Comfortable couches and chairs throughout
  • Nice views toward German roofs and the Commerzbank Tower
  • Bed was wonderful and comfortable with plush covers, soft linens, plush mattress, and some fat pillows (I preferred the feather ones as the others were a bit too plush for my neck) - had a lovely 10 hours of sleep
  • Shower pressure from the wand head was very nice - hint: press the button on the wand once for stronger pressure
  • Lovely mix of White Tea and Malin and Goetz toiletries - it was like I was at a Le Meridien (I noticed the housekeeping carts only had White Tea, so this was a temp issue)
  • Brought a really funny welcome gift of apples, dried apples, and apple juice - someone really likes apples :-)
  • Friendly front desk service from all
  • Westin Club is nice
    • Breakfast (first morning) is more than the continental described as it had eggs and bacon
    • Enjoyed the cocoa powder by the coffee machine
    • Had a nice bread roll and olive oil in the evening
  • Restaurant breakfast (I chose as my welcome gift) is worth the choice IMO for the delicious fluffy pancakes - Germany definitely has the best pancakes (the Sheraton at the airport had the same).
    • Breakfast was busy, but they had a nice overflow room that was nice and calm
  • HEATED floors in the bathrooms - this was crazy - water on the floor dried up so quickly
Cons:
  • Evening service in the club was a bit limited with a soup and salad bar, but no dessert options
  • Shower and toilet setup is a bit odd as if you aren't standing in front of the wand, the water spills out pretty quickly - luckily, the heated floors really help
Overall, I loved this hotel and will definitely return.

Photos:
Thank you for the detailed review of the property and the beautiful photos. I will be staying in this hotel next month and am very excited. Love the renovated rooms!
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Does the lounge offer complementary alcohol? Anyone know if the Marriott MClub lounge does? Sad to say that’s a deciding factor for me.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Westin Grand Frankfurt not offering late checkouts

Staying at this property and as an ambassador was refused a late check-out. Initially because "I had been upgraded and late checkouts do not applicable when you receive an upgrade" and when are challenged this the excuse became "we are a conference hotel" and late check-out don't apply.

I thought conference hotels had "conference center" in the name, or can any hotels with a dingy meeting room in the basement claim to be conference hotels and bypass the rules?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mario
Staying at this property and as an ambassador was refused a late check-out. Initially because "I had been upgraded and late checkouts do not applicable when you receive an upgrade" and when are challenged this the excuse became "we are a conference hotel" and late check-out don't apply.

I thought conference hotels had "conference center" in the name, or can any hotels with a dingy meeting room in the basement claim to be conference hotels and bypass the rules?
A convention hotel does not need to have "conference center" in its name, but it it's reasonable to expect it to show up as a convention hotel on Marriott.com. Westin Grand Frankfurt shows up as a convention hotel. See https://www.marriott.com/emea-conven...tion-hotels.mi

Here's how the benefit is worded in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:
v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.
According to this wording, 4 p.m. Late Checkout at the Westin Grand Frankfurt is "based upon availability." In other words, the hotel should make an effort, unless there are circumstances that warrant saying no. The hotel is not "excluded from this benefit" and should not routinely say that late check-out does not apply there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.