FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Springfield, MA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/171624-sheraton-springfield-ma-master-thread.html)

sirtravellot Dec 3, 2002 3:49 pm

Sheraton Springfield, MA [Master Thread]

Need some advise,
I have a stay coming up at the sheraton springfield, MA and was woundering what to expect. I stayed there 2 years ago and the place seemed a little bit worn. Dumppy furniture, Horrible beds, etc. Can anybody advise me about any recent additions/rennovations, and also what type of room I should upgrade to (using points if its worth it)
Thanks all

TAKEOFF2DAY Mar 16, 2003 8:58 am

Djlawman Mar 16, 2003 7:33 pm

Nice hotel. I stay there frequently, with a couple of big clients up there in Springfield. I am gold and get upgraded to the club floor usually. Had a bad room once, was immediately replaced witha better room, and Sheraton Promise was credited to my account.

Health club is good--good range of equipment, nice staff. Pool is usually over-chlorinated, unfortunately.

Food at the restaurant is not great, and overpriced. Much better restaurants a couple of blocks away.

Overall, a nice place to stay.

Djlawman

sbtinme Sep 18, 2003 6:11 pm

Sheraton Springfield MA -- steer clear!

Wow. For those of you who have watched my postings ove the years, you know that I am not one to be negative. I try to be bend-over-backwards balanced and give the benefit of the doubt to everyone.

HOWEVER, this (my first stay at the Sheraton Springfield MA) is really one that I need to share with you all.

I am in the club lounge now typing on the free internet computer. (I waited for 10 minutes for a Sheraton maintenance guy who was checking his ebay orders to finish up. Is that unbelievable or what? And, yes, they knew I was waiting...)

When I checked in, the front desk advised that there were no suites available and that I had been assigned to a "great room." I marched up to my room and was amazed to find a dark and drab double bed room. Yuk. I had clearly requested a King. No effort to read that on my reservation prior to my arrival for the preassigned room.

So, they moved me to a jr suite. Of the three phones in that room, only one worked. no kidding. The front desk called me three times to make sure I loved my new room; the first two calls I picked up the dead receiver and none of us could figure out what was going on. Also, the furniture was truly truly the pits. Ragged on all edges and heavily stained with dark blotches. This is unacceptable. Uh, by the way, this was an upgradeable suite that I was told at check-in did not exist. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif Neither of these rooms had new beds and had the old polyester bedspreads that we all got used to in the 1970s. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif The jr suite oddly had a work desk with neither a lamp (nor light of any sort) nor a phone ( never mind a working one). No phone jack within 20 feet of the work desk -- so much for the laptop!! This is nuts.

Moved again to a real suite. Much nicer room with lots of light. Getting plenty of work done now. Disappointed to find a card in my closet telling me NOT to steal the robe, but guess what....no robe anyway! Also, there is a nice new coffee maker, but housekeeping failed to give me any coffee packets. Good Lord.

Came up to the Club Lounge for a soda and interrupted the lounge attendant who was both on her cell phone and applying makeup while sitting on a couch. She is now talking at great length about male-pattern baldness with the maintenance guy I kicked off this computer that is here exclusively for the use of Sheraton guests. They are the only ones in this room besides me and seem to care less about their volume or the inattentiveness to me.

I don't know who's running the show here, but it is truly in a sad state of affairs. In my many years of travel, I have not had an experience quite like this one. *wood would be wise to sneak a stealth visitor or two into this place and see how even Plats are (mis)treated.

I did invoke (for the first time!) the Sheraton Promise and that's why I was moved two times. The highest manager on duty was the restaurant manager, who was nice enough.

I cannot recommend this hotel to you. It feels very much like I have stepped into a Holiday Inn from 1985. Very disappointing.
(Lounge attendant is now filing her nails. I'm outta here.)

Cory6188 Sep 18, 2003 6:34 pm

Your poor experience at that hotel is surprising. I have stayed there many times before and I have never had a problem, in fact, the hotel staff have bent over backwords to help me - one time, the staff at the front desk overheard my son complaining about not having any crayons to draw with (we were heading on a long day trip in the car) and the employee pulled out a box of Crayola crayons for him from under the desk. He was thrilled, and I was extremely glad they were able to make him happy. I have a feeling that your experience has been more of an aberration than the norm.

nehopper Sep 18, 2003 7:42 pm

My stays have been very uneven. Most importantly was the level of staff interest. I have experienced excellent service and good response at times while at other times I have had bad experiences. I have had similar experiences to the poster in the club lounge. However, I have never gotten an upgrade other than club floor.

tasnam Sep 18, 2003 10:08 pm

My stays have been less than par as well.

Just not a busniess traveler minded property.

tasnam
PWM

palmtree Sep 19, 2003 7:50 am

The Sheraton is owned locally by the Peter Pan Bus family. One of the sons and or daughter in law "manages" the place. It's not surprising that service is less than stellar. When it comes to caring about guests, these people run the other way. I would suggest the Marriott across the street.

schriste Jun 22, 2004 7:18 pm

I just stayed at the Sheraton Springfield last evening. As a plat I was upgraded to the club floor (top floor), but no suite upgade and no view of the river either (although this could be a good thing as the river view also comes with a freeway). The club lounge was open from 5 to 9 and was fairly nice. My club room had very recently been renovated and was way above average for a Sheraton room. So I was happy with my stay and I'd stay again if I was in town.

JoePilot Jun 29, 2004 8:14 am

Yup, Steer clear of this place......it was a disapointment for me as well.

TrojanHorse Jun 29, 2004 8:22 am

I'd have called the Maint. Super

As for the warning, thanks.. I'll pass on this hotel

However if I was in your predicament with the maint. guy checking his ebay orders, I'd have been on the phone to the Maint. dept supervisor and the front desk (manager on duty) and expressed my disappointment.

sbtinme Jun 29, 2004 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
As for the warning, thanks.. I'll pass on this hotel

However if I was in your predicament with the maint. guy checking his ebay orders, I'd have been on the phone to the Maint. dept supervisor and the front desk (manager on duty) and expressed my disappointment.

Believe me, I did. Mgr was off, asst GM was off -- the MOD was the restaurant mgr that night and he looked totally bewildered! He had, obviously, been through a training seminar on the Sheraton Promise and tried his best to make me happy. Nevetheless, the bottom line on this hotel has to be this: Some Sheratons are superior (Bal Harbour, Cerritos, etc) and others bring down the overall brand worth (this place and a few others that shall go unnamed now). This just feels like a 1979 DT hotel that is stuck in a time warp.

I hope your experiences there are different from mine.

TomT Aug 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Wow! I just booked three nights!

Greetings,

I just booked three nights and then desided to check FT..........unless I hear something more positve I will head across the street.

The last time I ran in to this situation was last month at the NYC Towers,,canceled, then said the hell I am pretty "lucky" so rebooked and we do now regret it.

As I see it that is part of what FT is about.....read,become informed...do or don't.

Thanks for such a :confused: fast report.

schriste Aug 19, 2004 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TomT
Greetings,

I just booked three nights and then desided to check FT..........unless I hear something more positve I will head across the street.

Sbtinme certainly did not have a very good stay. But as I already mentioned I stayed there in June in a club room that was very recently renovated, had a new Sweet Sleeper bed, the coffee was there, the phone worked, and even though I did not try and use the PC in the club room there was not a maintenance person sitting in front of it. The bathroom also had one of the better Sheraton renovation jobs I have seen. I would rank it as an average quality suburban Sheraton. If it were a Westin I would have been disappointed. If it were a St Regis I would have demanded a refund. If you can reserve a renovated room at the hotel (I have no idea what % have been renovated) I think it is a reasonably nice Sheraton and worth the $99 I paid to stay there. I’m not saying it is the Ritz or anything… but I found my 2 stays there went smoothly.

BTW, I walked across the street to get a Marriott directory and was not particularly overwhelmed by this hotel (did not see any rooms).

kathnunley Aug 19, 2004 6:32 pm

I have stayed there several times and have been pleased. Though as others posted, I'm always on the executive floor where the rooms are nice and have the sweet sleeper beds. I've found the staff helpful. I think the secret is to hit the top floor if possible. I would certainly stay there again.
Sometimes we all get one of those "stays from HEL*" regardless of the property.....they're kind of fun to hear about. . . from a distance!
I just had one earlier this week at the new HGI in Utah, but that will require me to jump boards here.