Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Caresse, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bodrum, Turkey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Caresse, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bodrum, Turkey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Ok, checked out now... I love this place even more than when I first posted. It is definitely worth a 5-8 hour flight to get to, and I think is one of the gems in the whole Marriott system (properties like this keep me loyal to Marriott despite the frustration I feel with IT and CS).

It is a 12 hour flight from where I live to Istanbul and then an hour flight to Bodrum. I might come again just for this property.

The hotel is that good, with service being amazing.

Few other tips:

1) there is an amazing hike (1 1/2 hours but I hike so might be longer for some) that the hotel set up. It is incredible, along the water and hills. Deserted beaches. The hotel doesn't proactively announce this so ask for it and they will arrange. I suggest you do whole loop and not halfway.

2) Hammam: I did 40 minute long one and it was a fun experience. Ask if they can put you in the couple's room as the bed is giant circular stone (makes good photos). It does fill up so book in advance. It was full 3 of the days I tried and only got in an hour before my taxi out.

3) Uber is cheap to airport and I found most were large Mercedes vans so better value if group with luggage. I took taxis to Bodrum but Uber for longer hauls.

This place has the quiet feel but is so close to Bodrum. Edition is 40 mins from Bodrum. They are building a 4 Seasons but I can't imagine it being better than this gem.

It needs more love from the flyertalk community.

EuropeanPete and escape4 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I am really struggling deciding whether we should stay here or the EDITION. Anyone that can help make the decision easier? On a Facebook group, a member meant that the Caresse was not very good - lots of kids, unpersonalised service etc which does not seem in line with what has been reported here but it made me start thinking about whether it's the right choice...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I haven't stayed at Edition. But Caresse is much closer I am told to town if getting into the restaurant and bar area is good for you
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I am really struggling deciding whether we should stay here or the EDITION. Anyone that can help make the decision easier?
Good problem to have. People who went to Caresse loved it and would return there rather than trying EDITION. I went to EDITION, loved it and would return rather than trying Caresse. I am not aware of someone that has stayed at both yet and can provide an objective comparison of the two hotels, so as long as everybody is happy we won't have a good comparison so you are most likely safe either way! ^
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
This hotel looks beautiful. Is this hotel and Bodrum good for a family or is it better suited for model looking types who like to party? I am trying to decide if we should go back to Aruba or try Bodrum to use a 7-nt travel certificate. It would be end of June to early July if we went.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by yoonny
This hotel looks beautiful. Is this hotel and Bodrum good for a family or is it better suited for model looking types who like to party? I am trying to decide if we should go back to Aruba or try Bodrum to use a 7-nt travel certificate. It would be end of June to early July if we went.
Caresse is definitely not an Ibiza model-fest, nor is it overrun by Instagrammers, thank goodness. When I've been there it's mainly been upper middle class (and elite) Turkish families and random families and couples from around the world. It's a good, classy vibe - the food and service are incomparable to Aruba. The hotel is rather oddly one side of Gumbet, the cheapest, nastiest part of Bodrum and so anyone who wanted to either spend time at beach clubs or ponce around by the marina will probably be staying elsewhere.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Does anyone know if breakfast is provided to all guests free of charge, or only platinums?

I'm a lifetime gold member considering staying on a 7-night travel package.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
bump - anybody know the answer to this?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by graj08
Does anyone know if breakfast is provided to all guests free of charge, or only platinums?

I'm a lifetime gold member considering staying on a 7-night travel package.

Thanks for the help!
I have never stayed there, but since the website shows some rates including breakfast and some no mention of breakfast, I would guess that breakfast is not included for all guests. It depends what rate you book.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Has anyone been here in late August / early September? Considering a trip there, but a little worried the weather may be too hot.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
Has anyone been here in late August / early September? Considering a trip there, but a little worried the weather may be too hot.
I was in Bodrum in early September 2018 for several days and the weather was lovely. But what is "too hot" can be subjective... Heck I was in Dubai last week so Bodrum in September is chilly relative to Dubai in July
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:02 am

Anybody have any recent experiences or trip reports to share? I've read some reviews that mention that the music/noise can be an annoyance, any truth to that?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by cycyc
Anybody have any recent experiences or trip reports to share? I've read some reviews that mention that the music/noise can be an annoyance, any truth to that?
When I was there, one or two days there was a club across the water you could sometimes hear. I wouldn't say it was a serious annoyance, but it did somewhat impact the feeling of utter tranquility you otherwise get on the resort.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Luxury only in the name

The Caresse, Luxury Collection

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

Adnan Menderes caddesi No: 89 Asarlik Mevkii PK, D:225 Bodrum, TR 48400 225

Luxury only in the name (15 Photos)

So to begin, I guess I don't fit into the standard clientele the hotel is used to (I'm lucky enough to be able to travel about a third of the year, while it seems the guests that this property caters to are the upper-middle class Europeans and North Americans who have a different view on life), but that should still not excuse the hotel of the issues I had. While the property itself was amazing, the service was lacking and the staff did say something that I felt was very inappropriate and given how the assistant manager responded when I brought this to his attention upon check-out, I don't see anything changing.

Check In

The hotel is situated a bit outside the city center. After picking up the rental car at the Bodrum airport, it was under an hour drive to the main gate of the hotel. The security guard checked the name against the guest list and directed us to drive down to the hotel reception. The resort isn't big, with residences along the upper part and the hotel at the bottom. It sits against the hill which allows (almost) every room and the residences to have an amazing view. Upon checking in, we received the room keys to the 2 bedroom suite that I was upgraded to thanks to using my Marriott SNAs from my plat status. The suite was located on the lobby floor (5th floor) at the end of the hotel.

Room

Wow. The room was spectacular!

Entering the suite you were greeted with an amazing view of the sea. The room opened up to the kitchen and living area, which was finished off with high end appliances. (and where the welcome gift was left)

20191008_155916.jpg

20191008_155924.jpg

There was a table outside on the balcony and a separate balcony with 2 lounge chairs.

20191008_155947.jpg

The suite had 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. The first bedroom had a king bed and a bathroom with a rain down shower. The second bedroom had 2 twin beds and a bathroom with a shower as well. The bathroom in the second bedroom had a door which separated the toilet from the shower part, which allowed the toilet to serve as a guest toilet (as there was also a door from the toilet to the entrance hallway).

20191008_160040.jpg

20191008_160031.jpg

3_20191008_160126.jpg

(no idea why that photo is upside down, tried to flip it and it still uploaded as upside down)

20191008_155936.jpg

20191008_155929.jpg

Property

The property consisted of the main restaurant (Glass Restaurant) which served breakfast (7-11am) and dinner (7-11pm). There was a lounge (Glass Lounge) for drinks (which also doubled as the pool bar), and a restaurant for lunch on the beach level (Buddha Bar). On the pool level, there was the spa along with the infinity pool. The beach level had access to the dock along with a small private beach.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

20191008_175506.jpg

20191008_175518.jpg

20191009_074536.jpg 

20191010_143137.jpg

20191010_142958.jpg

20191011_141616.jpg

20191011_151110.jpg

Dining and Service

Sadly, this is where the property took a huge turn for the worse. Service was awful. There were too many flaws, that I would not deem this property as a 5 star nor a luxury collection property. For example, while the staff all seemed attentive, getting anyone’s attention was difficult. Every morning at breakfast they would forget my coffee. Every morning I would point this out. On the final evening, we wanted to make use of the table on the balcony in the suite and order from the restaurant dinner to have it served it the room. I went to place the order down at the restaurant and the staff said no. No explanation, no reason as to why (mind you, there is 1 restaurant for dinner at the whole property. The room service menu consists of everything that is found at the restaurant menu, so it's not like there was a second kitchen. There were some items on the dinner menu that we would of liked to have that wasn't found on the room serivce menu). I've never came across this before in any of my hotel stays. There was never an issue to order something at the hotel restaurant and bring it to the room (either by the staff or by me going to the restaurant and bringing it up myself). This stay was also right after high season, so it wasn't as if the restaurant was full. 

But the one thing that caught me off guard and ruined my stay was the comments from 2 staff members (and which the assistant manager confirmed). On the 3rd night, I went to the front desk to ask the concierge to check on a restaurant I've found on TripAdvisor (yes, TA isn't the best source of reviews for restaurants as they can be bought, but given this place has been around for almost 20 years, 1,500+ review and hundreds of photos, it's a safe bet that most of the reviews are legit). The concierge was away from the desk, so the front desk attendant took my room number down and informed me that she will call my room after her break finishes in about 10min. I asked her if she had any idea about the restaurant, and without looking at the name, but rather the location she said that she "would not recommend that location as that location is where there are 2* and 3* hotels and their clients visiting those restaurants are 2* and 3*". I was quite taken back by her comment and figured it might be a language barrier. I went back to the room and waited for the concierge to call me, which she never did (another lack of service), so after about 30min I called her and asked the same question if she heard of this restaurant. She replied almost the same as the front desk attendant did, that they do not recommend that location as it's not up to the standards that the hotel would recommend to their guests and she cannot recommend any place to eat in that area. She recommended a restaurant in the marina, which we went to, and while it was good, it wasn't anything great.

Now I might be reading into it a bit too deep, but those 2 comments from those 2 staff members painted a very strong picture in my mind of what kind of guests visit the hotel and how the staff was trained to reply to the guest. I've been all over the world, stayed at countless hotels from the 2* motels, Airbnb’s, to 5* resorts and hotels and everything in between, and I've never been told that way that they won't recommend me a place in a certain area, not because of crime, or any safety risk, but rather that the average working class eats there. Given that I would categorize myself as the average working class, this felt quite insulting. Also, traveling all over the world, some of the best food I've had were in these "average working class" areas as they focus on food, rather than just plating something generic nicely and charging the clients a lot to make them feel as if they received something excellent.

On the 4th night, with the restaurant issue (that they wouldn't have served the dinner in the room), I got pissed, grabbed the rest of the group and we went to the restaurant in the 2*-3* hotel area and we had a very good dinner. Was it amazing? No, but it was delicious. The restaurant was owned by a family who you could see really worked hard and put in their time and passion to make a great dinner. This place was also completely full (we grabbed the last table) while quite a few other restaurants were mostly empty, and that also says something about the restaurant.

I brought up my concerns to the assistant manager when we checked out the following morning but got the usual generic reply. Sorry for the lack of service, the staff shouldn't be forgetting coffee refills, and such. Sorry for the issue at the restaurant, that should have not happened, and we should have been able to serve it in the room. When I pointed out the comments from the staff regarding the location, he replied with a similar comment as the other 2 staff members replied but assured me that he will speak with the staff to make sure its phrased differently.

Overall

Overall, while the hard product is excellent (from the suite to the view and the grounds), the service, which in my opinion, differs no more than a 3* hotel. It leaves a lot to be desired and this property isn't worth the price nor the name luxury collection, in my opinion. The service I would say was on average what I would get in a Holiday Inn. I've had stays at Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place and Crowne Plaza that were better than this property. There shouldn't be any excuse for the lack of service. Just because it is after the high season, doesn't mean the staff should be focused less. Just cause the rate I paid was less than the high season rate, doesn't mean that the quality of service should be less (this property was one of the most expensive ones in Bodrum while we were there and the most expensive Marriott properties).

Finally, the comments from the staff really showed me what the property thought of "lower class" people and what kind of guests visit this property. Sadly, while the view was phenomenal and the suite was fantastic, the service and staff ruined the stay and made me not want to visit this place again. 

Luxury only in the name

Would you like to write a review on the The Caresse, Luxury Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
notiflyr likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Shame about the service levels - I’ve had both phenomenal service and pretty disinterested outside of high season. I wonder if the continued price pressures in Bodrum mean their staff are getting worse? I am inclined to try the Edition next time based on recent reviews.

On the “we don’t recommend this area” comments I really don’t see the issue and come across it relatively frequently on my travels (I travel about 300 days a year). I remember once asking at the Caresse about recommended places in Gumbet and was told something similar.

Someone first language English from a liberal democracy would of course phrase it differently, but luxury hotels will very frequently only direct customers to establishments and areas they feel are appropriate to their visitors. I will often ignore their advice (and it sounds like you do too - that’s cool), but I don’t think you can ignore the context that Caresse is a Turkish old money resort where many of the richest Istanbul families vacay plopped down right in the centre of one of the cheapest package/ €2 cocktail neighbourhoods on the whole of the European continent (I think it’s beaten only by Sunny Beach in Bulgaria).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.