Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Vancouver Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Vancouver Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:48 pm

I too disagree. Excellent platinum recognition, 24-hour courtesy shuttle to/from the airport on _your_ schedule (i.e. - you call, they come), great corner rooms with large jacuzzi tubs. Can't really ask much more from a 4-points. 100,000miler - can you elaborate?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
One of the Much Better 4 Points....

I think this property has to be one of the BEST 4 Points around.....

It's newer, relatively well-kept, and even as Gold I got their Jacuzzi rooms with additional amenities. Staff are also friendly, and try to accommodate all requests. I cannot ask for more in a hotel of similar level, especially when it's often cheaper than the motels and the Delta property near YVR....
Old Sep 22, 2004, 9:22 pm

My last stay there was a disaster. They did upgrade me but I had called from the airport for the shuttle--they asked me if I could wait 30 mins. I agreed and they FORGOT about me. 1 hr 30 minutes later, after 2 more phone calls they showed up but when I complained to the manager all he said was "we said sorry what more do you want?" I am sorry but that doesn't cut it. What about a sevice promise? I did put in a written complaint but I think the ladiy at the front desk discarded it since I never heard ANYTHING from spg.

Last edited by ac777; Sep 22, 2004 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 22, 2004, 9:54 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
OK, let me tell you my story of this hotel.

1. I called from the Airport to reconfirm my reservation. "Yes we are expecting you, see you in 15 minutes!"

2. I waited and waited for a shuttle. After 45 minutes I gave up and then discovered you HAD to call the hotel to send one! I was NEVER informed of this. Not in my reservation, its confirmation or on the phone.

3. When I arrived finally by taxi to the hotel I was greeted with this, "we do not have a room for you, we will put you in another hotel".

Now I am no dummy and in fact I am a Platinum member of SPG and have been so for many years. This is not the service I expect, esp when I call and get a confirmation some minutes before I arrive!

As i said initially it is a nice new hotel. I will not go into the details that I disliked but only the above which is clearly unacceptable for any guest.

Bottom line, based on my experience, Avoid this hotel. Furthermore it is probably the farthest away from the airport of all airport hotels. It does have a shuttle which leaves from the hotel every 30 minutes but it is on a request basis esp when you stand and wait at the airport.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by 100,000miler

1. I called from the Airport to reconfirm my reservation. "Yes we are expecting you, see you in 15 minutes!"

2. I waited and waited for a shuttle. After 45 minutes I gave up and then discovered you HAD to call the hotel to send one! I was NEVER informed of this. Not in my reservation, its confirmation or on the phone.

3. When I arrived finally by taxi to the hotel I was greeted with this, "we do not have a room for you, we will put you in another hotel".

Now I am no dummy and in fact I am a Platinum member of SPG and have been so for many years. This is not the service I expect, esp when I call and get a confirmation some minutes before I arrive!

As i said initially it is a nice new hotel. I will not go into the details that I disliked but only the above which is clearly unacceptable for any guest.

Bottom line, based on my experience, Avoid this hotel. Furthermore it is probably the farthest away from the airport of all airport hotels. It does have a shuttle which leaves from the hotel every 30 minutes but it is on a request basis esp when you stand and wait at the airport.
Not to beat up on you, but:

You fly 100,000 miles (monthly? Yearly? In a lifetime?) and haven't learned to call the hotel once you leave baggage claim to request a shuttle pick-up? In my experience it is more common than not that shuttle pick-ups work that way. Some airports differ, but in off hours that is nearly 100% the case. Rule of thumb - call.

Alot can happen in 45 minutes. And even if the hotel knew that you would be "walked", I'm not sure that they would/should/could tell you that fact when you phone in. Were you not given the first night's stay free of charge when you were put up in another hotel. Was that not acceptable to you? This is how hotels handle a sold-out situation, and there's usually no way around it. And they are at liberty to do so.

Lastly, I don't see what not being a dummy and being an SPG Platinum have to do with one another. I bet there are lots of dummy SPG Plats .

Aloha,
dumb SPG Plat
Old Sep 23, 2004, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by 100,000miler

1. Would it have made sense to ask the property where to go stand for the shuttle and what the schedule was while you were on the phone with them? Keeping in mind, this is YVR and not SFO or YYZ where shuttles proliferate.

2. The property page clearly lists the airport transportation as "limited":

http://www.starwood.com/fourpoints/s...propertyID=213

3. What was the root cause behind calling from the arrival airport to make sure you still had a reservation?

4. I agree it sucks to be walked - specially as a Platinum. I had it happen a few months ago, and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat. However, I think the reasons for walking you likely relate to the point above.

5. AFAIK, the choices in close proximity of YVR outside of the Fairmont (in-airport) are Comfort Inn, Accent Inn, Sandman, Howard Johnson and Radisson/Delta/whatever they're calling the hotel by Hwy-99 these days. The last property aside, if you want a major chain - Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, are all within several minutes drive of each other. Also, once again, going back to the property page, "Situated in the heart of British Columbia's Richmond, [snip]... Richmond is just 10 minutes from Vancouver International"

Last edited by ConsultantFlyer; Sep 23, 2004 at 2:05 am
Old Sep 23, 2004, 9:44 pm
Suspended

I have always been treated well with a large corner room on the top floor with Jucuzzi tub. I have had some happy times in that hotel. I will and do go back.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's actually not bad for a 4Pts.

There is a mall across the street; the hotel is in an Asian area of Richmond so many of the things (ie. food) around are Asian. There is free parking and a bus from the airport. If you have a reason to stay by the airport it is nice; but if you are there to see Vancouver I wouldn't stay there.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:56 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I satyed there a couple of months ago for a night before an early flight the next morning.

I'd echo the comment that only stay there if you need the airport or have things to do around Richmond.

It's not a bad property. Very polite staff. There's a disco on Friday nights, if you're that way inclined. I was given a corner room on a top floor (I'm only a Gold), and I didn't notice any noise. The bathroom is huge too - a separate shower and a jacuzzi...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk Disneyf

I've stayed at the 4pts Vancouver (and like yourself I am in Vancouver til Saturday). Mostly I stayed there because it's close for the 6 am flight home.

Don't know if you go to Vancouver alot but staying there is like staying in the 4pts Omaha with planes landing on your head. You really don't get anything quintessential Vancouver. If you can afford it, stay a night downtown!

I always chose the Westin Grand, but the Wall Centre is awesome.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Have stayed there 3-4 time in the last year. Very good airport hotel for the price. If you arrive in the evening and leave the next morning or if you have business to do in the area it is perfect. The hotel is nice (just a few years old) great staff, always got a nice upgrade. They now have the new 4P beds.

The price is good and the shuttle works well. That's the only Starwood in the YVR airport area.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:47 am
CVV

We stayed there before and after an Alaska Cruise. Liked the hotel, were upgraded for the after cruise stay. There was free internet access (30 min limit) in the lobby. Ate at the lobby restaurant a couple of times and were satisfied.

We took public transportation in and out of Vancouver (bus stop a block or 2 from hotel). Also took the bus to a ferry port to go over to Vancouver Island to visit Butchart Gardens and Victoria. Took the seaplane back to Vancouver from Victoria and then the bus back to the hotel.

We would definitely stay at the hotel again if we go back to the area.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
Originally Posted by rdchen
Any recent experiences? What kind of upgrade should I expect as a Plat? Thanks.
Stayed there in fall last year (2006)... comments from all the previous posters still apply. Nice building, comfortable rooms, but you are in the middle of nowhere. If you can, stay downtown at the Wall Centre (Canadian spellling ) - I lived two blocks away from it for two years and all friends who stayed there liked it.

Can't comment on the plat upgrade.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by rdchen
Any recent experiences? What kind of upgrade should I expect as a Plat? Thanks.
Most Four points may have one larger room that they call a suite. That's about it. Most folks stay at Four Points due to their convenience to the airport (in/out business trip). If you're staying in Vancouver for awhile I would definitely recommend staying in the city. However; as I recall, there is a Tim Horton's close by to the Four Points
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:13 pm

I stay here quite often. Last time was about a month ago. I'm Gold but still get nice large corner rooms most times. I would imagine that they would treat plats. pretty good based on my Gold experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.