Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Plaza, Autograph Collection - Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Elite bennies are detailed in post #11.
Print Wikipost

The Plaza, Autograph Collection - Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:06 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

2nd quick TR

Hi,

Unexpectedly, I had a one night stay at this property within this month. This time, I did not book the Premium Suite room, but just went for the normal Deluxe room.

- was "upgraded" but just to the Club Level floor (fl 28) but in the same deluxe room type. Asked about upgrade, but was told that the hotel was full.

Room:
The deluxe room - is significantly smaller compared to the "Premium Suite" that I had the last time. Basically I would say that if you are travelling with two with a normal size luggage, there would be difficulty finding place to have your luggage placed and for 2 person to not bump into each other at a point in time.
Bed was still good and comfortable. The only thing which to me was irritating with this room was the placement of the airco vent which flows directly onto your head part while in bed, which can be a bit difficult to have the correct temperature.
I think I forgot to mention about the internet the last time, but even though this time my room was closer towards the elevator area, it was dropping once in a while - speed wise it was ok.

CL: this time they did at least a logical thing, for the evening Happy hour, they moved the event down to one of the banquet halls. Of course from atmosphere point of view it was not very cozy. Food wise, some slight improvement compared to the lounge with some real food instead of fried nuggets/cheese sticks. Strangely (not sure if it was due to the size of the hall), but there were not much guests that day, there were quite a few empty tables during the hour+ I was there.

The last time, besides my Plat amenities, they already had a welcome fruit basket and a bottle of wine, but this time I did not get any of such thing, only my Plat amenities. Not sure if it was because the last time I booked the Premium Suite that came with it.

The location is still the best reason to stay at this property.

Cheers!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Stayed here for four nights during the Winter Olympics ... was upgraded to Deluxe Room on 19th floor - overlooking Seoul City Hall - with club lounge access.
WiFi was good ... bed was firm (to my liking) ...
The breakfast was pretty reasonable ... mix of Korean and western dishes (more of the latter) ... didn't do the evening happy hour as was out watching Olympics.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Has this hotel been downgraded to a Cat 6 now? Thinking about burning a 7 night Travel Package here.

Seems nice IF I could swing a suite.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Feedback after a one week stay using a Cat 6 travel package: Probably one of the best Marriott stays I ever had.
  • Prestige Suite preassigned, small but cozy
  • Staff overall very pleasant and professional all around
  • Service Hotline '0' always picks up the phone immediately and even has notes what you ordered for breakfast the previous day
  • Lounge access for Platinum
  • One shirt for laundry for Platinum each day (I wish this would extend to other items like trousers as well)
  • I was given the Residence Suite (but larger than the original Prestige Suite) after some problems at the restaurant and a broken tile in my bathroom
  • The lounge is way too small to handle the large numbers of eligible guests and it's almost impossible to find a seat if you visit during peak hour
  • Typical for a Marriott hotel, large presence of Americans and especially U.S. military staff so you might be able to get a good rate if eligible

Excellent value overall I'd say, their rates are always quite reasonable and for sure I'm gonna stay here again.
bizum likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I just checked into the plaza after 6 nights at the courtyard. Was told my corporate rate didn't come with lounge access and being a platinum didn't matter. Didn't know they could deny lounge access based on room rate, anyone else experienced this?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Can anyone who has had a recent stay verify that the hotel provides a free local cell phone (called Handy) to use while staying at The Plaza? It seems the Westin Chosun Seoul and a few other hotels are offering this service.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I assume the lounge prohibits children as is the norm in Seoul. Any clue what breakfast arrangements they provide to a PP with a child? For example, for years Westin Chosun has allowed Aria buffet in lieu of lounge with child.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by JonasCLT
I just checked into the plaza after 6 nights at the courtyard. Was told my corporate rate didn't come with lounge access and being a platinum didn't matter. Didn't know they could deny lounge access based on room rate, anyone else experienced this?
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Can anyone who has had a recent stay verify that the hotel provides a free local cell phone (called Handy) to use while staying at The Plaza? It seems the Westin Chosun Seoul and a few other hotels are offering this service.
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
I assume the lounge prohibits children as is the norm in Seoul. Any clue what breakfast arrangements they provide to a PP with a child? For example, for years Westin Chosun has allowed Aria buffet in lieu of lounge with child.
I have made 8 separate stays at the Autograph in the last year and a half. It is currently one of my favorite hotels. I am a platinum member and always have booked the cheapest room and always have gotten lounge access. A colleague of mine is corporate and platinum and has gotten lounge access and another colleague of mine is (old) gold Marriott and has gotten lounge access. I am really surprised that lounge access was denied as this has not been my experience. On every single one of my 8 stays I have been upgraded to a suite room, which is the best average I've ever gotten from any hotel. Every other gold and platinum member I have been with has also been upgraded to suites on their stays. This last weekend, one of our colleagues who was with us but not an elite member also was upgraded (Elites do check in on the 18th floor, but we told them on check-in that she was with us and that we would use our guest access for her to use the lounge. I assume she was upgraded because she was with us and it was not completely random). The hotel does provide a free phone to use (Handy). I used it this last stay to play Pokemon Go using my wife's account. :-) I assume the phone also works as a phone. It was very slow, but it worked. I did have to download and install the app, but it was free (for the record, PG is great in Seoul and I defeated 24 legendary gym raids in one day, all with walking). The phone is wiped after use. I have seen children in the lounge, usually teens, but an occasional under 10. They do check access, so I assume they did not sneak in. One one occasion I booked a room for my two teen girls and paid extra for their use of the lounge, but it was definitely worth it.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by gora14
The phone is wiped after use. I have seen children in the lounge, usually teens, but an occasional under 10. They do check access, so I assume they did not sneak in. One one occasion I booked a room for my two teen girls and paid extra for their use of the lounge, but it was definitely worth it.
I googled lounge access and some blogger posted a picture of his "Welcome" letter from the Plaza and said children under 13 prohibited from lounge. My son is 8. Would stink if we had to pony up 30k won x 3 because of this (for buffet), would be better off just staying around the corner at Chosun Westin (but trying to use a 7 night Cat 1-4 cert at the Plaza)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
I googled lounge access and some blogger posted a picture of his "Welcome" letter from the Plaza and said children under 13 prohibited from lounge. My son is 8. Would stink if we had to pony up 30k won x 3 because of this (for buffet), would be better off just staying around the corner at Chosun Westin (but trying to use a 7 night Cat 1-4 cert at the Plaza)
I absolutely agree. I know I saw two families in there this last week. One definitely had children under 10, but I wouldn't risk it. The Westin is right across the street and I was told it was very nice. I was thinking of staying there next time just to see.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
My first stay at this hotel, and I am disappointed.
Checked in at the lounge, was upgraded to a junior suite, and offered my choice of Platinum gift. Very good so far.
But the room is very small - this 2 room suite is smaller than a normal room at the Chosun. There is barely 1 foot between the bed and walls on either side, and about 4 feet from the end of the bed
to the wall. The bathroom is the size of a Holiday Inn Express bathroom - I doubt 2 people could use it at once. My biggest gripe is the noise from the street. I am on the 17th floor, but hear a constant
flow of traffic noise, honking, and sirens. It seems there is no soundproofing at all. I see why they leave 2 sets of ear-plugs on the bed. I have never experienced this at the Chosun, which is
immediately next door.
Breakfast in the lounge is very meagre. No egg station. All the hot food on warmers is cold. Having stayed at the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit and the Westin Bund in the past few days,
the comparison was very stark. No hard rolls, no fresh bread, no cream/cottage cheese, no sliced fruits, no salad other than a few crudites. Probably the worst breakfast offering I have seen
in Asia.
For the future I will stick with my known quantities - Chosun or D-Cube.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
By the way, the welcome letter does state guests must be over 13 to access the lounge.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K
This is now a category 4 hotel. Can be booked for 25k points a night. Seems like quite a good value for the quality of this hotel, considering most Courtyard Marriotts in my area are category 4 as well.

I have a trip coming up and the alternatives for me are the Aloft in Myeongdong, RYSE in Hongdae, JW Marriott, Westin Chosun or Lotte Hotel World.

Any opinions?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:13 pm

I have stayed here 7 or 8 times in the last couple years. As a gold/platinum, I have always been upgraded, usually to a two-room suite. I also get a complementary small bottle of wine and a fruit plate when I arrive. The rooms are on the small side, but certainly adequate. I've stayed with my wife in a suite and had plenty of room and my daughters stayed in a regular room and they had no complaints. The layout is not your typical Marriott room. The location is absolutely fabulous, convenient to everything I need and an underground walkway connects to the hotel (the same one connections to Lotte, Chosun, etc.). The rooms appear clean and modern. I enjoy the lounge and staff. There are three hot dishes at night, usually one fish, one meat and one vegetarian. They can range from outstanding to meh, usually on the very good side. The complementary alcohol offerings have three whiskeys I believe and standard fare, no single malts. Breakfast is good, but not super extensive as they can be in China, for example. I usually load up on salmon and bulgogi. Staff is wonderful and the ladies in the lounge really go the extra mile if you ask. All in all, it is my favorite Marriott to stay at, despite the small rooms and I always look forward to going back. This does not mean that it is the most luxurious or has the best food offerings. I just always enjoy my stay here and look forward to returning. It is extremely good value and I have never ventured to other hotels in Seoul because this one is always so cheap and my stays are so enjoyable. Falcon9xr has ventured to a few other hotels in Seoul and ranks it number 1, but these things are subjective:
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea
falcon9xr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.