Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Syracuse, New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Syracuse, New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Syracuse, New York [Master Thread]

Curious if anyone has had any recent stay experience.How is the location and condition of the hotel.A local hotel knocked it as old outdated & poorly kept and on a school campus away from the main areas.Yet the website makes it look highly satisfactory.Appreciate any comments if any!!!
Old Jun 6, 2002, 10:26 pm

The hotel is located on the campus of Syracuse University. The University bought the hotel two years ago and, from what I heard, renovated the entire hotel (rooms and public spaces). I haven't stayed there since the change of ownership and renovation.

As far as location, it depends on what part of Syracuse you need to be. The Sheraton is about a 7-10 minute drive from downtown. If you want/need to stay in downtown proper, the Hotel Syracuse would be a good choice.

[This message has been edited by Whisperjet (edited 06-06-2002).]
Old Jun 7, 2002, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the input!!
Usually one gets more then a few replies on Flyer Talk regrarding stay experience. Was begining to think no one ever heard of the property let alone ever stayed other then students!
Then again I know its a lot different when asking about Paris ,London,Rome or New York City!
Cheers Milehound

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 10, 2005 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 7, 2002, 8:15 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was there exactly a year ago and it wasn't renovated yet. It was nothing special, but not horrible either. We had a few service problems (shuttle to the airport was out of service, pool was closed unless a lifeguard was on duty and there was no lifeguard), but eventually they were taken care of (they reimbursed us the cost of a cab to the airport and they allowed us to swim "at our own risk").
Old Jun 7, 2002, 8:49 am

Programs: CO Plat. SPG Plat
I was there last month. Good property - at least relatively speaking. The room I had (upgraded to a suite) was nicely decorated, nice size bathroom, good amenities, including dial up access.
Restaurant and large sports bar - no criticisms.
Pool - good
Fitness room - good.
Service - good.
Self parking garage - cheap and easily accessible.

I would have no problems staying here again.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Sounds like a safe enough bet.
I will stay and give it a shot
Sounds like they have made some improvements
more recently. Is the location reasonably good to most of the Syracuse area?

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 06-07-2002).]
Old Jun 7, 2002, 1:58 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
My first stay there, about three years ago was horrible. The agent that checked me in was extremely inexperienced, the room smelled and was gross.

I wrote the manager and got an apology that included my next stay free if I would try it again. I did try it again (was impressed by the way it was handled) but did not accept the free offer. In fact I didn't let him know I was coming - I wanted to see for myself if my experience was a fluke.

My second stay, and each stay since (maybe three) the room was newly remodeled and very nice. Last time I received exceptional service from the restaurant manger for my room service order. A delightful man who enjoyed talking about his wine list.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending staying there.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 12:27 pm

I'm a native Syracusan. Nice area right on the SU campus, should be very quiet this time of year. Try the Marshall Street area or Armory Square for areas to dine out.

Downtown is very small and you are only a short cab ride away.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 2:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
Have stayed there numerous times over the years. Unfortunately it really is the only place to stay between downtown and the University.

Last Summer they were renovating the hotel public spaces...and never mentioned it when I made the reservation. There was no restaurant open and no bar...actually, they did turn their lobby into the restaurant and bar, but it was quite unsatisfactory.

I was upgraded into a minissuite, which looked nice. They'd newly refurbished it. But you could tell it was reseigned by an interior decorator, and not someone who'd be staying there. The TV was clear across the room, easily 20 feet from the bed, so it made watching TV from the bed nearly impossible. Additionally, while they redecorated the rooms, they didn't do anything with the lousy a/c system....the room unit went on and off noisily all night long. The drapes also didn't go to the floor....they stopped right above the window sill mounted a/c unit...as a result the room was bright in the morning and daytime.

Old May 10, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Weekly Sheraton Syracuse Resident

Originally Posted by raisin
Has anyone stayed here recently? These seem to be the most recent reports on this hotel. I am heading to upstate New York in July and am curious if the 2002 experiences are still typical here. Hopefully, they are. I'd appreciate any feedback folks may have on this property.
I stay there every week for business. The rooms at the hotel are pretty average, though they do have the sheraton sleeper bed. If you are SPG platinum, they will upgrade you to the concierge floor, which has complimentary cocktails daily (including weekends) from 6-8, including appetizers, and continental breakfast in the AM. They have some Junior suites on the 3rd floor, corner rooms they call "parlor rooms", which are quite a bit bigger but have a murphy bed.

The staff are really nice, the location is pretty good, IMO, as it's convenient to many university places. They also operate a complimentary shuttle van, which will take you anywhere within reason anytime between 5am and 11pm, with extremely old drivers. They're nice, but a bit forgetful.

Parking is $4, room service is okay, but not great, and the gym, although 24 hrs, is sparse. Dry cleaning has been okay, but they've broken a few buttons on my shirt.

The *only* starbucks in syracuse is across the street, so if you're a coffee drinker, that's a plus. Also, there's a Bruegger's, a decent medditeranean restaurant (king david's) and a few more spots, including CVS which are a couple minutes walk away.

I can go into more detail on any point, as I have racked up over 20 stays here.. Any other questions?

Best Regards,
Jayzee9
Old May 10, 2005, 2:57 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Thanks, jayzee9. Very helpful report! Would you recommend the place for a family of 3? Do the parlor rooms have only the murphy bed? If we could get a room with a queen bed and a murphy bed, my kid would probably dig that. And, should I mention your name when I check in since you're such a frequent guest?

Last edited by raisin; May 10, 2005 at 2:59 pm Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Originally Posted by raisin
Thanks, jayzee9. Very helpful report! Would you recommend the place for a family of 3? Do the parlor rooms have only the murphy bed? If we could get a room with a queen bed and a murphy bed, my kid would probably dig that. And, should I mention your name when I check in since you're such a frequent guest?
Raisin,

The parlor rooms adjoin to another room with either a K or 2Q's (not sure) but only have a murphy bed. so if you book 2 rooms, you could get that arrangement. If you don't mind sharing a room with your kid, get a rollaway and a parlor. The only room I know of that has separate rooms is 326 which is their Jacuzzi suite.

For a family of 3, you might want to consider staying at the Hawthorn suites, which is a nice property, has separate rooms, and is walking distance from all the major restaurants/bars (armory square) as well as the IMAX, and is in the downtown area. I prefer the Sheraton for just myself..

Enjoy your visit. Feel free to mention JZ (though I don't know if anyone knows me by that, they're my initials)

Best Regards,
Jon
Old May 11, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
the nightlife leaves a lot to be desired.
Try Armory Square on a weekend night--lotsa bars, clubs, music--I think you'd enjoy it! The University area (where the Sheraton is) is nothing in comparison (just college kids drinking beer).

We put all our business/personal guests up at the Sheraton. Very nice and modern and well run. And--except for the nightlife--a good location for food.

Summer--well, yes, that's a problem. As we like to say, in Syracuse it only warms up long enough for us to bury our dead!
Old May 11, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Make sure you hit Dinosaur for some awesome BBQ!
Old May 11, 2005, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Make sure you hit Dinosaur for some awesome BBQ!
And bring your motorcycle and crash helmet
Yes they get a lot of the rough and gruff biker crowd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.