Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Same, wondering about any recent stays? Have one upcoming in a couple weeks. Thanks!
Stayed for four nights back in July and enjoyed the property a great deal. It's definitely got that W vibe, but not overly done like some others out there.

Everything was operating as normal, apart from the kids club which is currently being used to administer the free covid tests.

We especially enjoyed the food on property. The Asian fusion restaurant is fantastic and the ceviche by the beach was honestly some of the best I've ever had.

We went to lunch at the StR and walked the around after. I can see why its lost its luster. The hotel looked dated and uninspired for the high price, while the W felt like a great deal in comparison. The W had a personality the StR didn't without sacrificing much luxury or on site amenities.

You do have to take the location of the hotel into consideration as there is nothing immediately around the property. I would highly recommend a car rental unless you plan to stay at the W the entire time.
vivrant, bizum and mixmastermark like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:26 am

- located about 1h north of Puerto Vallarta
- it’s pretty isolated, you might need a car if you want to get around
- also, after exiting the main highway, the road is full of potholes, so be careful, especially at night
- it felt safe overall, lots of security checks and gates before reaching the hotel
- the staff was pretty nice and helpful throughout the stay
- this was my first W, so I didn’t know about the constant, loud house music near the pool
- there’s 6 sun beds facing the ocean, $100 / day (2 cocktails included)
- as elite member, I got upgraded to an ocean view room, but due to the location/orientation, we could barely see the ocean… Lake view rooms seemed nice
- the room was playfully decorated
- for the breakfast, there’s a page on the menu dedicated to elite members. I found it pretty good (selection of pastries, eggs, fruit plate, fruit or vegetal juice etc.)
- the main restaurant is open every day, others are once or twice per week. The Salera had an amazing seafood grill night. Good food at the asian/fusion Spice Market. ~$150 for 2 per meal.
- bring mosquito repellent
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:50 pm

One thing I forgot to mention was about the lake view rooms.

It's a decent view, but you are right on the lake shore. At night crabs will climb on to your patio and end up repeatedly smacking the glass door of the room.

It's quite jarring, especially when it's 3AM and you're in deep sleep
​​​​​​
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by randomdude
-
- this was my first W, so I didn’t know about the constant, loud house music near the pool
My husband and I have been thinking about a Punta Mita beach hit and considered the W at 1/2 the price of the St. Regis. But the above comment was enough to take it off our list. Not our vibe.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by randomdude
- for the breakfast, there’s a page on the menu dedicated to elite members. I found it pretty good (selection of pastries, eggs, fruit plate, fruit or vegetal juice etc.)
This seems like an improvement from reports about a year ago and earlier where people reported that no hot items were available without an upcharge for the elite breakfast!

Appreciate the comments, I have a 2 night stay coming up in a couple weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:54 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Originally Posted by bizum
Is it a bad idea to head here with a toddler? We were planning to stay at StR but hearing its StR prices but not at StR standards.
I know that one of the pools is adults only, read somewhere about a kids club but no mention on the website.
We are planning to just stay at the resort for 6 nights for some r&r -

Edit: sounds like kids club is closed at both. With a toddler, we'll be just staying at the resort so our priorities are decent food/service, nice beach and some kid friendly areas (might book a havana or oasis suite with a plunge pool - its almost half the price of the StR)
Did you end up going forward with the trip? Deciding between this and staying in Puerto Vallarta, but the reports about crabs coming out of the lake and lack of upgrades are having me second guess. Would love to have a good shot at a suite if I am bringing a toddler
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
Did you end up going forward with the trip? Deciding between this and staying in Puerto Vallarta, but the reports about crabs coming out of the lake and lack of upgrades are having me second guess. Would love to have a good shot at a suite if I am bringing a toddler
Hotel definitely didn't feel eager to upgrade us beyond the lake view. Our SNAs didn't clear either.
​​​​​​
I'd probably choose staying at a nice luxury property in PV with a toddler. More amenities and you'll have a better shot at a bump up to a suite.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
Our trip is in Nov. For family trips, I've learnt not to rely on upgrades/SNA so I just booked a suite. Right now theres no suites showing available so I'm guessing they're pretty booked.

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Hotel definitely didn't feel eager to upgrade us beyond the lake view. Our SNAs didn't clear either.
​​​​​​I'd probably choose staying at a nice luxury property in PV with a toddler. More amenities and you'll have a better shot at a bump up to a suite.
Do you have any recommendations? The Marriot PV Resort & Spa looked too large for our liking. STR was our first choice but recent negative reviews made me change our mind. Also, for the same rate we could get an oceanfront suite at W. We're familiar with the W brand and fully expect a noisy pool and questionable room design choices
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by bizum
Our trip is in Nov. For family trips, I've learnt not to rely on upgrades/SNA so I just booked a suite. Right now theres no suites showing available so I'm guessing they're pretty booked.

Do you have any recommendations? The Marriot PV Resort & Spa looked too large for our liking. STR was our first choice but recent negative reviews made me change our mind. Also, for the same rate we could get an oceanfront suite at W. We're familiar with the W brand and fully expect a noisy pool and questionable room design choices
Personally I've never stayed in PV so perhaps someone else can chime in.

If you can confirm a suite at the W, it might be worth it. You can also look into the Conrad Punta Mita. I've heard decent reviews and prices seem more reasonable compared to the StR next door.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=FlyingFrZ;33625010 You can also look into the Conrad Punta Mita. I've heard decent reviews and prices seem more reasonable compared to the StR next door.
​[/QUOTE]

Not quite "next door"..... it is about 4 or so miles away and about a 20 minute car ride from the StR. The Conrad location is considered remote and far from anything. ( which might not be a bad thing)
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Not quite "next door"..... it is about 4 or so miles away and about a 20 minute car ride from the StR. The Conrad location is considered remote and far from anything. ( which might not be a bad thing)
Thanks for the clarification, guess it looks much closer on the map.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:56 pm

Hey folks!

- What is the current uber/taxi situation near the W? I thought I read they force you to take their shuttles, and that Ubers are hard to come by near the hotel? Can you tell me a bit more about this?
- What towns are worth visiting near the hotel? Sayulita? Punta Mita? I know it's a bit of a drive to go anywhere, but that is okay, as we mostly just want to sit at the beach. But still curious what they are like.
- Did anyone rent a car? We were considering it, mostly just in case the Uber/Taxi/Hotel shuttle were difficult or mighty expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by nonstopski
Hey folks!

- What is the current uber/taxi situation near the W? I thought I read they force you to take their shuttles, and that Ubers are hard to come by near the hotel? Can you tell me a bit more about this?
- What towns are worth visiting near the hotel? Sayulita? Punta Mita? I know it's a bit of a drive to go anywhere, but that is okay, as we mostly just want to sit at the beach. But still curious what they are like.
- Did anyone rent a car? We were considering it, mostly just in case the Uber/Taxi/Hotel shuttle were difficult or mighty expensive.
There is nothing around the property as the hotel is off the main highway between PV and Punta Mita. You have to go down a winding road to a main gate, and then you proceed further to a main valet area where golf carts take you to the lobby/pool or your room.

IMO you need a car if you are going venture off property. Even if a taxi or Uber is willing to come, it's far our of the way and will create a hassle.

As many have recommended up thread, Gecko is the best rental car option. They were a pleasure to deal with and provided us with everything we needed, such as the required insurance coverage. The price was also the lowest overall. I'd recommend emailing Gecko directly since you may be able to negotiate a little on price
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:44 pm
FT

Originally Posted by david55
My husband and I have been thinking about a Punta Mita beach hit and considered the W at 1/2 the price of the St. Regis. But the above comment was enough to take it off our list. Not our vibe.
I was there at the beginning of the Summer. It's same as any other W. Personally, I didn't experience it as annoyingly loud or obnoxious fwiw. But the whole vibe is in the style of W.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:47 pm
FT

Originally Posted by nonstopski
Hey folks!

Depends on what you're looking for. Get a car unless you want to stay on property for your duration or only want to get out for a night. There isn't much around it, but getting a taxi won't be an issue either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.