Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Punta De Mita, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Michele Foley
Update: it looks like persistent pays off. After emailing several Marriott departments, as well as the hotel, I received word that effective on 4/29, the W Punta Mita is changing their welcome breakfast amenity to the full buffet. Im
unclear if this is the hot or continental buffet, but it’s definitely a step up from toast, coffee, and juice.

I also noticed that we’re several recent reviews on TripAdvisor criticizing the hotel’s lack of recognition to elite members, which management replied to. Can’t help but think this also played a role.

Staying there at the end of this month. Fingers crossed they actually honor this statement, but I have all the emails and names of employees that I will share with management if they try and overlook the benefit.
I have a stay here coming up later this year - can anyone confirm that the breakfast benefit has been restored?

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ywgckp
I have a stay here coming up later this year - can anyone confirm that the breakfast benefit has been restored?

Thanks!

Confirmed. Full Breakfast restored
ywgckp and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upgrade.me
..........When you need a ride from the hotel you are "stuck" using their SUV service, which was $115 to downtown Puerto Vallarta, $30 to downtown Punta Mita, and $75 back to the airport........
Originally Posted by bhrubin
......Location We were surprised that it was only about a 15 min taxi ride between the W and StR. The W is situated outside the Punta de Mita resort area, but it was very easy to move back and forth. Our friends taxi'd over most days of our overlapping stays to hang with us in our beachfront villa and private pool, and they were just as surprised as we were at how easy it was to go back and forth.........
There seems to be conflicting information. Are taxis available from W or St Regis?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
There seems to be conflicting information. Are taxis available from W or St Regis?

Taxis may or may not be available. I've seen them at the St. Regis before, but keep in mind that it is a rather remote area and there may not be taxis. Also, I would not want to ride in one of the usually very crappy PV taxis for that long. The private cars are not cheap, but they are very comfortable, safe and IMO worth the money.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:34 pm

A recent Titanium report on Tripadvisor says the breakfast was coffee, fruit and bread - no buffet. Any other recent experiences?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I emailed the property and received the following answer:

About the Titanium Benefits, please find them below:

· Complementary Upgrade to a Suite or next best Room Availability

· Welcome Gift to Choose of the following:

o 1,000 Bonvoy Points

o Elite Breakfast (You can pay $30.00 USD Per Night to make it Fully Buffet Breakfast for 2 Adults)

· Late Check Out 04:00 PM under availability
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I have a one night stay coming up at this property. A friend told me a rental car is the best (cheapest) option to get to the hotel from the airport, he felt perfectly safe.
Just looking for a second opinion here, is is it safe to drive there? I’ll arrive in the afternoon and fly out again the following morning. Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I have a one night stay coming up at this property. A friend told me a rental car is the best (cheapest) option to get to the hotel from the airport, he felt perfectly safe.
Just looking for a second opinion here, is is it safe to drive there? I’ll arrive in the afternoon and fly out again the following morning. Thanks!

I strongly suggest you do not drive. It will be a hassle. Also, if you want to enjoy your second day there with any alcohol, you don't want to drive. If you want to go cheap, take a taxi or uber. If you want a really nice and comfortable ride, pay for transport from the hotel who will send a black SUV.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:00 pm

There is no second day, it’ll basically only be one afternoon/evening.
The thing with taxis/Uber is that I’ve heard there are few to none near the hotel and they might not even let Uber drivers pick up passengers (probably so they can sell the expensive hotel car).
Hassle or not, is it safe to drive there? Haven’t been to Mexico before.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:13 am

When we went for four days we regretted not renting a car. Uber / Lyft were very difficult to find and very expensive.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
There is no second day, it’ll basically only be one afternoon/evening. The thing with taxis/Uber is that I’ve heard there are few to none near the hotel and they might not even let Uber drivers pick up passengers (probably so they can sell the expensive hotel car). Hassle or not, is it safe to drive there? Haven’t been to Mexico before.
Sure it's safe, just un poco loco. Become familiar with driving procedures in the area (such as left turns are often from the right side of highways, and you will be passed on the left and right). It takes about thirty minutes from PVR and much of the drive is on busy Federal Highway 200 in the state of Nayarit.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:22 pm

Thanks. The rental car was 13$, seemed like a good deal.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
US$ is for the car only. Don't even think about driving without Third Party Liability insurance which is seldom included in the base rate.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

Nope, my rate includes third party liability insurance, just no insurance for theft/damages to the rental car (but I should be covered by my credit card).
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:52 pm

Just returned from the W recently and rented a car from Gecko which includes rental and insurance in one price. Very friendly bunch and made the rental experience really smooth (no surprises on the bill), I would definitely recommend them. The hotel is fairly remote so taxis/Uber will be hard to find and expensive. It was nice having a car as Punta Mita town and Sayulita are both a short drive away so we were able to drive up to visit the incredible Marietas Islands and the local market easily. As @Tanic says, you just need to get familiar with some of the local rules of the road and always keep your eyes peeled for potholes and topes (speed bumps)!

The W itself was really nice. I can confirm the Titanium benefits noted above. The breakfast upgrade was definitely worth it with lots of western and traditional Mexican options. I believe the regular price for two people is $80 so the $30 upgrade is a good savings.

While I was there they had a small cocktail reception from Elite members on the deck overlooking the pool which was a nice gesture. I booked a points+cash reservation and used some SNAs to get upgraded to one of their ocean front suites which was amazing. I'm not sure if this was all necessary as a Titanium but the upgrade was nice and I rarely have any luck with SNAs so I was happy. The rooms do have some quirks - could use more lighting, big walk in shower not super functional, but otherwise well appointed and with splashy W decor.

The beach here is excellent. Very wide, white, sandy beach, no rocks, clean (but not turquoise clear) water. Waves were pretty big while we were there but still swimmable.
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.