FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Davenport Grand Hotel, Spokane WA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1706300-davenport-grand-hotel-spokane-wa-master-thread.html)

sethb Aug 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Davenport Grand Hotel, Spokane WA [Master Thread]

I was there a couple of weeks ago. I really like the hotel, for the most part; brand new and well-designed.

I got upgraded to a mini-suite (larger room, basically) at check-in.

A couple of minor quibbles: the bathroom sinks (there were 2) had spouts too low to fill water bottles. There was not enough dresser space (a very small dresser in the closet) even though there was plenty of empty space in the room. I'd have preferred something like a card table and 4 chairs, or a couch, in the big empty space.

No lounge, so the free breakfast was $10.50 off any choice (though the coupons didn't say that).

dayone Aug 29, 2015 5:32 pm

The Grand is a little too mod for my taste. I prefer the Davenport Tower. Two-for-two on upgrades to a Tower Suite.

adl73x Aug 30, 2015 3:55 am

I was surprised there were no tea/coffee making facility in the rooms. Coupled with the absence of a lounge over a stay for a week, that annoyed me more than it usually would.

The staff were fabulous, and the convenience for the Convention Centre still made me glad I didn't choose the Davenport Historic or the Davenport Tower.

dayone Mar 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Three-for-three on suite upgrades at Davenport properties. Received a Junior Suite (with "fireplace") at the Grand.

As noted above, mod rules at this hotel. A small dresser and shelves are in the closet. There is a very functional square table with two sensible chairs. Power and com outlets are table-height. USB power jack on nightstand. Suite has both a large soaking tub and a walk-in shower. Samsung 55-inch TV with an expanded channel lineup (e.g., Bloomberg). A/C works great. And who doesn't like a power window shade?

The Tower is more modern than mod, which makes it the safe choice. The historic Hotel is a museum for hotel geeks.

I'm not a java drinker but those who are should be advised that only the suites have a coffee maker (Kuerig).

Note to those who book the government rate without authorization: Don't. I have been politely asked for my ID on every visit to a Davenport property.

SkiAdcock Mar 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for the update/trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Mar 15, 2016 1:05 pm

dayone, what's the brekkie situation for elites since they don't have an exec lounge? Cont'l or full? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

sethb Mar 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26336733)
dayone, what's the brekkie situation for elites since they don't have an exec lounge? Cont'l or full? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

Continental, sort of: they offer a coupon for a particular meal, but it's worth the price of that off any other breakfast.

dayone Mar 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 26337840)
Continental, sort of: they offer a coupon for a particular meal, but it's worth the price of that off any other breakfast.

Yes, $10.50 per person, and they enforce the per person. Not able to double it for one.

SkiAdcock Mar 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 26337840)

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 26338447)
Yes, $10.50 per person, and they enforce the per person. Not able to double it for one.

Thanks. I'll update the sticky in the morning. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

ehallison Jun 1, 2016 10:57 am

We just stayed here for 2 nights last week (2 separate stays, with a quick trip to Coeur d'Alene in between). We chose the Grand because it was the only Cat 5 out of the 4 Davenport properties. Wow, this was absolutely the best Cat 5 cert use I can imagine.

We really like coffee in our room in the morning without having to head down to the lobby. So when we were told we'd been upgraded to a corner king room facing the river with windows on 2 sides - well, that sounded lovely, but I wanted the junior suite just for the Keurig. We asked nicely and were granted the additional upgrade on both stays. (I kinda wished we'd taken the corner king on the second stay just to check it out; maybe next time).

All the junior suites have a city view which was interesting. The view is very red-brick industrial with frequent freight trains rumbling through - I assume they were rumbling, but we couldn't hear much in our room because we were high enough and the soundproofing is apparently pretty good. Lots of city lights in the late evening, and interesting to watch the city come alive in the morning light.

Huge shower, huge bathtub, huge TV, plenty of easy-to-access USB and electrical outlets, afore-mentioned Keurig but with lousy powdered creamer, bed was too soft for both Mr ehallison and I, nice fake fireplace, remote controlled room-darkening blind. My husband asked me twice, "Are you sure this is a Cat 5?"

We turned down the breakfast for the points the first stay and walked 1 block to Madeleine's Cafe. The next stay we decided to try the breakfast and regretted it. The continental consists of 1 pastry, coffee or tea, and juice. An upgrade to a cooked breakfast would have been pretty reasonable with the $10.50 per person credit, but we were in a hurry. I wish we'd taken the points and stopped at Einstein's for a bagel.

Platinum arrival gift was points or $10 f&b credit. They have a great patio overlooking the river park where we were tempted to use the credit for a drink, but we wanted to check out some local breweries in the evenings instead, so we never did that and just took the points both times.

If you are a runner (we both are) this is a fantastic place to stay. Literally across the street from a riverfront park where you can start your run - you need to leave the park to continue westbound on the centennial trail, which goes on farther than I can run. :) And there are nice views of the river from the park even if you are not a runner, of course.

Parking was $22/valet or $17/self. We used self-park which was convenient.

Last year we used our 2 cat 5 certs for stays at an airport Fairfield Inn. :rolleyes: This was just a great redemption. However, I wouldn't have stayed here on points if I had to actually redeem 25k; I'd have paid cash as the room rate was about $150.

SkiAdcock Jun 1, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for the detailed trip report. Much appreciated.

So if I understand the above correctly, the brekkie option is cont'l or $10.50 credit towards cooked, or the 750 points?

Cheers.

sethb Jun 1, 2016 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26712232)
Thanks for the detailed trip report. Much appreciated.

So if I understand the above correctly, the brekkie option is cont'l or $10.50 credit towards cooked, or the 750 points?

Cheers.

It's $10.50 towards anything. The Continental costs $10.50.

SkiAdcock Jun 2, 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 26715331)
It's $10.50 towards anything. The Continental costs $10.50.

Thanks. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

ntamayo May 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Combining paid / award stay

I have a 3-night stay coming up here, planning to pay for the first 2 nights in the Penthouse Suite and use my Cat 1-5 certificate for the 3rd night (regular room). Would they let me stay in the Penthouse Suite for the 3rd night if I just pay an upcharge or rate difference @ checkin for it?

SkiAdcock May 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I would wait to see at check-in if they make you pay for the penthouse suite on the 3rd night. They may just keep you in the room w/ no charge.

Cheers.