Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Petaling Jaya, near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Anyone tried this new property? What are they offering in lieu of lounge access?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:09 pm

The hotel advised: Evening cocktail at Link @ Sheraton Café International Café from 6pm to 8pm

This, plus the relatively high rates, prompted me to decide against staying here. In comparison, the old favourite, Hilton PJ was more than MYR 100 lower for the nights I looked.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed Thursday night, and at this point in time would not recommend the property until they have their act together.

Arrived at 8 pm, and the room wasn't ready for over an hour after. I also believe they have issues with their systems as I wasn't asked about the Gold gift or given an SPG Gold holder with the keycards. However, the check-in staff was really apologetic about the whole situation of the room not being ready. Now it's a bit more of a pain because the stay hasn't posted and seems to have vanished from "My Past Stays", so I think I'll need to do some chasing up here.

The room on the other hand was pretty nice and modern though the toilet did have the smell of paint/recent work done. Buffet breakfast the next morning was decent as well.

Sorry I can't comment on the lounge alternative as I'm not Plat.

Edit: Also wanted to add that when inquiring about late checkout in case I needed it (I didn't), I was told that I'd need to call the following day between 11am and 12pm (checkout time) to find out if it was possible. Not sure if it was because of availability or bad systems which didn't pick up my status.

Last edited by wuileng; Oct 22, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by puchong
The hotel advised: Evening cocktail at Link @ Sheraton Café International Café from 6pm to 8pm

This, plus the relatively high rates, prompted me to decide against staying here. In comparison, the old favourite, Hilton PJ was more than MYR 100 lower for the nights I looked.
thanks, any idea if its a full buffet dinner + alcohol ?

saw on TripAdvisor someone commented the same but left out the details.

As for rates, Executive Rooms seem to be good value , RM390++ compared to standard at RM350++ . Price didn't change when I tried with 1 or 2 adults.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Will need to have a 1 night stay in the area, am now deciding if I should try this property or just go with the Hilton Petaling which as mentioned is 100RM cheaper than this property. I will most probably miss the evening cocktail hours since I only arrive after 20hrs @ KUL.

Any update on this property and service? How's the breakfast spread?

Cheers!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:49 am

Just had a night's stay. Brief summary:
1. Upgrade to suite (w/o telling me; pleasant surprise) - nice bright rooms - more like a LeM than a Sheraton
2. Club lounge open - lots of alcohol, food all savouries, no salads. Rank it below LeM Putrajaya and definitely below LeM KUL but higher than most. Brilliant view from 30+ floors up - almost worth it just for the view
3. Pool nice but small. Gym well-equipped
4. Breakfast in resto very good - almost on par with LeM KUL
5. Hilton looks old and dated (can be seen from the Sheraton :P)
6. Absoultely nothing in vicinity
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Just had a night's stay. Brief summary:
1. Upgrade to suite (w/o telling me; pleasant surprise) - nice bright rooms - more like a LeM than a Sheraton
2. Club lounge open - lots of alcohol, food all savouries, no salads. Rank it below LeM Putrajaya and definitely below LeM KUL but higher than most. Brilliant view from 30+ floors up - almost worth it just for the view
3. Pool nice but small. Gym well-equipped
4. Breakfast in resto very good - almost on par with LeM KUL
5. Hilton looks old and dated (can be seen from the Sheraton :P)
6. Absoultely nothing in vicinity
Hi,

Thanks for the summary - still not sure if it's worth the RM100 extra since I will be missing out on the evening hours.

Rather surprised on the Club lounge offerings - as I read on the LeM Putrajaya, lounge offerings have degraded, so if that's the case, sounds like worst offering at this property.

On the last point - i believe the only advantage is that is walkable to the LRT station and if you walk towards the Hilton, there are some shops in the area.
I thought that under the hotel was a shopping complex (albeit small)? Or is it now something else?

Cheers!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Hard to keep one
Could not find any available dates on SPG.com for the hotel. Did they shut it for more work/training?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: *G
​​​​​Reserved 2 rooms for one night by point redemption.

Got charged Tourism Tax (RM10 per night) despite sharing the room with a Malaysian gf. JW Marriott didn't charge me in the same situation.

Foul smell coming from the bathroom. Apparently many rooms are experiencing foul odours. Had to change room in the middle of the night.

Definitely recommending PJ Hilton next door.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Question Smell?

Originally Posted by lee_apromise
​​​​​Reserved 2 rooms for one night by point redemption.

Got charged Tourism Tax (RM10 per night) despite sharing the room with a Malaysian gf. JW Marriott didn't charge me in the same situation.

Foul smell coming from the bathroom. Apparently many rooms are experiencing foul odours. Had to change room in the middle of the night.

Definitely recommending PJ Hilton next door.
Sorry to hear you had bad smell coming out of the bathroom and which floor were you staying on, I have just checked out today staying on 28th floor, no smell from bathroom.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:36 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
The rooms look great... But they upgraded us to the smallest club room they had... We unpacked and i wanted to shower... It was a killing foul smell coming from the drainage... We didn't notice it first because the shower door is blocking the air to the rest of the room... I unpacked four suitcases already....
had to wait 2 hours for enigneering... I needed rest and of course he knocked the door when i jist fell asleep. They offered us a room change so we slept in a much larger room without smell just across the door..
so many construction faults. It is newly built hotel. How could they forget to make enough power outlets next to bed... They dont even have a changing room at pool level. "Sir u can use the toilets to change ur clothes..."
can i have a pool towel ? "Cannot the door is broken i cannot get in" finally another guests daughter was small enough to squeeze in and get towels for everyone... Shower at pool is already broken. Gym is very small....

Stay here if u wanna have nice views but expect a lot of small issues...

I could go on giving details about all the minor flaws in their construction... See the restrooms on pool level e.g.

i left after one night...
Another horrible spg stay.... We only had one flawless stay this year at Stones Bali.... And i already racked up 15 spg nights ...

Also notice on the website : hotel connected to shopping... Well that may be true for the future on day but so far it is dead.. U cannot really walk anywhere also.

I wouldn't have booked it if they stated that it isnt open yet... Had limited time and all the issues added up to make this stay a unforgettable one but not in the food way...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by cln
The rooms look great... But they upgraded us to the smallest club room they had... We unpacked and i wanted to shower... It was a killing foul smell coming from the drainage... We didn't notice it first because the shower door is blocking the air to the rest of the room... I unpacked four suitcases already....
had to wait 2 hours for enigneering... I needed rest and of course he knocked the door when i jist fell asleep. They offered us a room change so we slept in a much larger room without smell just across the door..
so many construction faults. It is newly built hotel. How could they forget to make enough power outlets next to bed... They dont even have a changing room at pool level. "Sir u can use the toilets to change ur clothes..."
can i have a pool towel ? "Cannot the door is broken i cannot get in" finally another guests daughter was small enough to squeeze in and get towels for everyone... Shower at pool is already broken. Gym is very small....

Stay here if u wanna have nice views but expect a lot of small issues...

I could go on giving details about all the minor flaws in their construction... See the restrooms on pool level e.g.

i left after one night...
Another horrible spg stay.... We only had one flawless stay this year at Stones Bali.... And i already racked up 15 spg nights ...

Also notice on the website : hotel connected to shopping... Well that may be true for the future on day but so far it is dead.. U cannot really walk anywhere also.

I wouldn't have booked it if they stated that it isnt open yet... Had limited time and all the issues added up to make this stay a unforgettable one but not in the food way...
I have been a frequent guest at the nearby Hilton and saw the Sheraton coming up over at least a couple of years if not longer; I always wished there was a SPG property in the PJ area but the Sheraton never seemed to get finished. Now that it is operational finally it is disappointing to note that there are still so many issues.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Danial
Sorry to hear you had bad smell coming out of the bathroom and which floor were you staying on, I have just checked out today staying on 28th floor, no smell from bathroom.
Initially stayed stayed on 14th floor. Complained of this matter at the reception, the receptionist said "we have a room on 13th floor for you but we will make sure the room does not have foul smell". So the guy went to 13th floor room to check and came back and offered a room on 16th floor.

This smell is something I experienced in an apartment in Indonesia (poorly built).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Currently staying on 12th floor, no unpleasant smell from bathroom. Anyway, today at club lounge around 4.30pm, observed an elderly guest decided to dipped his hand into the peanut jar and club floor attendant nearby didn't even bother to educate this person. Decided to skip eating peanuts due to unhygienic.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
had a stay last week , booked Club room as Gold. Upgraded to Suite on 5th floor Tried asking for higher room but was told unavailable ... although upon arriving at "5th floor" it's actually higher than the Hilton's rooftop across the road. And this Sheraton goes all the way up to 31st, so definitely the best place for views in PJ.

What I liked :
1. Hardware and design at this hotel is top notch, could easily be a Mandarin Oriental. Even had a TV for the bathtub.
2. Sampled the Chinese & Japanese in-house restaurant ... very good food and fantastic value. I preferred them both over the Hilton PJ's offerings, which are also good.
3. Lounge selection is good too (only there for cocktail hour) , fine as dinner replacement

What I disliked :
1. Shower flooded after 2 minutes of use. Ended up wetting the ENTIRE bathroom. And the water would not drain so had to use the guestroom for the rest of the night.
2. Staff training still not up to par, ie: arrived at 5pm and told room not ready (no mention of suite only realized upon arriving at the room itself) . Was not offered to wait in Club lounge (despite original booking being a Club room) just told to "have a seat". Ended up going for a walk around the building and finally got the room around 45 minutes later... no apology and the initial staff who was serving me did not even bother to follow up when I re-joined the check in line and served by the receptionist beside him. All this while a "Manager" was standing nearby.
3. Housekeeping , grime on the sofa and phone and loose hair visible.
4. Bfast items in the main restaurant did not seem/taste fresh. Not sure why this is as the other 2 F&B outlets I tried in the hotel were top notch.

Overall, just hoping the hotel will improve on the staffing as hardware wise it's really leaps & bounds above the Hilton PJ !

Last edited by wantan; Mar 20, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.