Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Question kids noise / screaming at the Domes: how bad/distourbing is it really?

Question to everyone who has been there: I am looking for a nice, quite sunny vacation at the end of october, the Domes sound amazing, BUT one of the first reports mentioned a lot of toddlers crying and kids screaming everywhere all the time (would ruin the stay for me). But then no one ever repeated that, instead I read "quite" and "more private than BP where a lot of kids are everywhere". So maybe the person from that first review did just have bad luck / bad timing?

I don't mind kids running around at breakfast or playing in the kids pool, I will simply put on my snorkling gear ath the beach so I don't mind noise above the water there,
I just want to make sure that I
a.) am not being disturbed by crying and screaming in my room while I want to sleep in in the mornings with my windows closed
b.) have a mostly quite time at my private balcony (if there's screaming for 1 or 2 hours - fine, I'll close the windows and leave, but I just want to have some quite hours a day)

Thanks for any answers/reports about that!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zap7
Question to everyone who has been there: I am looking for a nice, quite sunny vacation at the end of october, the Domes sound amazing, BUT one of the first reports mentioned a lot of toddlers crying and kids screaming everywhere all the time (would ruin the stay for me). But then no one ever repeated that, instead I read "quite" and "more private than BP where a lot of kids are everywhere". So maybe the person from that first review did just have bad luck / bad timing?

I don't mind kids running around at breakfast or playing in the kids pool, I will simply put on my snorkling gear ath the beach so I don't mind noise above the water there,
I just want to make sure that I
a.) am not being disturbed by crying and screaming in my room while I want to sleep in in the mornings with my windows closed
b.) have a mostly quite time at my private balcony (if there's screaming for 1 or 2 hours - fine, I'll close the windows and leave, but I just want to have some quite hours a day)

Thanks for any answers/reports about that!
It is all about timing. Late October the kids should be in school so the resort ( is it even open? many close down at the end of October) should be pretty much kid empty...unless you hit it on a holiday weekend or such. If it really bothers you do a google search of holidays at around the time you are thinking.... remembering that it won't just be Greeks but Brits, Germans and Russians.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR, SPG, HHonors
We traveled with our 2 young kids (4 and 2) in June, i.e. outside of UK school holidays. Whilst the hotel was "full", mostly with families, to be honest I was surprised at just how quiet it felt.

Perhaps I'm now conditioned to zone out wild kids, but the hotel felt peaceful and we had a relaxing break. I think a large proportion of families spent most of their time at the beach, which was much busier than the family pool (where we spent more time) - but overall it felt like a "luxury resort with kids around" rather than a "kids resort".

The pool near reception is adults only (though probably too cold in October), whilst restaurants seemed to rotate "adults only" evenings too. Whilst there is a kids club which occupies presumably a reasonable proportion of kids during the way.

Edit: Domes Noruz (adults only) on the other side of Crete could also be an option
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Nope :-\ I was checking availability near-daily both before and after 8/18, and I tried calling/twitter, but no luck.
Stayed at Blue Palace instead which was quite nice!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Breakfast on our Terrace this morning

View from our pool 💙

Here now and so far very impressed. I have had limited experience with Marriott Luxury brands (a RC stay or two) and I must say that at least in Haute Living Domes is living up to the hype.

We ended up switching Villas because the heat in our first pool wasn’t warming. We actually like this Villa more.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:58 pm

Suite Night Awards

Can we use Suite Night Awards to upgrade to the room with the private pool? Platinum Premier asking....
Old May 18, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
We are headed to Domes of Elounda in a few days for a week and wondering if anyone here is able to give advice regarding:

a) What to do outside of the resort (we did not rent a car) - we definitely are interested in historic sites and nature sites
b) Restaurants - we prefer authentic, great food and do not care if it is upscale or not
c) Best method to try to secure a good upgrade and Haute Living access? I am Ambassador Elite but judging from my week stay a couple of weeks ago elsewhere in Europe, that really means almost nothing.

Thanks for the advice!
Old May 18, 2019, 10:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sinfonia
We are headed to Domes of Elounda in a few days for a week and wondering if anyone here is able to give advice regarding:

a) What to do outside of the resort (we did not rent a car) - we definitely are interested in historic sites and nature sites
b) Restaurants - we prefer authentic, great food and do not care if it is upscale or not
c) Best method to try to secure a good upgrade and Haute Living access? I am Ambassador Elite but judging from my week stay a couple of weeks ago elsewhere in Europe, that really means almost nothing.

Thanks for the advice!

a). We booked a tour to Knossos- so worth it! And you must take the boat over to Spinalonga- it is fascinating. Talk to the hotel because there were more things worth exploring that we will do next time. Crete has so much history.

b). We totally wanted to try small authentic restaurants
We had a few dinners nearby with delicious seafood but also ventured far afield to O Platanos in Fourni and Miliaras Taverna near Agios Nikolas. On our last night after many locals recommended we had a fun dinner at Karnagio. At one point all the lights went out and there were fireworks over the water- evidently a custom to celebrate a birthday. Cretan food is fantastic.

c). We booked Haute Living. If you have to pay it is worth it!!
Bespoke service with many benefits.
unclepants and bhrubin like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by dave.brown
Can we use Suite Night Awards to upgrade to the room with the private pool? Platinum Premier asking....
No! It’s an all suites property so SNAs cannot be used.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi all, we're at the resort, but was told no lounge access for titanium members. I believe this is a violation of the Marriott elite benefits. Is anyone aware of an exception for this property not having to provide lounge access for titanium elites?

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Thanks
Old May 27, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Hi all, we're at the resort, but was told no lounge access for titanium members. I believe this is a violation of the Marriott elite benefits. Is anyone aware of an exception for this property not having to provide lounge access for titanium elites?

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Thanks
Sorry but you are mistaken! What you are referring to as a lounge is not a lounge but a benefit of the private villas section or Haute Living. If you read the thread you would have know that. There is NO lounge at the property for elites.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by christianj

Sorry but you are mistaken! What you are referring to as a lounge is not a lounge but a benefit of the private villas section or Haute Living. If you read the thread you would have know that. There is NO lounge at the property for elites.
I did read the thread, but there weren't any posts about this since the programs merged last year.

That's a sneaky way to avoid having to honor the benefit. If you pay extra, then you have access to a lounge, but we'll call it a haute lounge instead of an executive lounge. Are there any other properties that are doing something like this?
Old May 27, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I did read the thread, but there weren't any posts about this since the programs merged last year.

That's a sneaky way to avoid having to honor the benefit. If you pay extra, then you have access to a lounge, but we'll call it a haute lounge instead of an executive lounge. Are there any other properties that are doing something like this?
I will be one of the first to get mad if Marriott does something “sneaky” or wrong but I think you are mistaken in your assessment. It wasn’t offered before the merger and if you thought it was going to be offered after the merger then you are one of the few that thinks Marriott has actually made improvements in the lounge/breakfast benefit which most here don’t believe.

Haute Living is only accessible for Villas and I see nothing wrong with that considering the prices for the villas vs the hotel. It has nothing to do with “not honoring a benefit” because it’s not a benefit at all offered to anyone in the resort. The resort is very generous with a full free breakfast and there have been reports of nice upgrades so I think they more than honor elite benefits but you are entitled to your opinion. We have a 13 page thread were no one has said they got access to HL as an elite and I don’t think anyone has thought access should be allowed.

I for one was satisfied and we will be back for a second year in about a month.
damon88 and jtp1947 like this.

Last edited by christianj; May 27, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by damon88

a). We booked a tour to Knossos- so worth it! And you must take the boat over to Spinalonga- it is fascinating. Talk to the hotel because there were more things worth exploring that we will do next time. Crete has so much history.

b). We totally wanted to try small authentic restaurants
We had a few dinners nearby with delicious seafood but also ventured far afield to O Platanos in Fourni and Miliaras Taverna near Agios Nikolas. On our last night after many locals recommended we had a fun dinner at Karnagio. At one point all the lights went out and there were fireworks over the water- evidently a custom to celebrate a birthday. Cretan food is fantastic.

c). We booked Haute Living. If you have to pay it is worth it!!
Bespoke service with many benefits.
Thanks so much for these recommendations. They were great and really made a fantastic trip for us! We did not do Haute Living, but might next time!
damon88 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:37 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by sinfonia
Thanks so much for these recommendations. They were great and really made a fantastic trip for us! We did not do Haute Living, but might next time!
So glad you had a great trip!
Curious which restaurants you tried?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.