Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll just note that the law of contracts does not allow contractual penalties. Which is an additional reason why the practice complained of here (charging a no show fee considerably higher than the going room rate) is legally problematic.
I'm going to weigh in on the "other side" here and ask what jurisdiction's law is being applied here?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm going to weigh in on the "other side" here and ask what jurisdiction's law is being applied here?
That's a basic principle of contract law. There may be some variation by jurisdiction, but I'd expect that to be the rule in most states, possibly excepting Louisiana. It's certainly the rule in Colorado.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Someone should send a link to this thread to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal.

Almost all of my Marriott resort reservations this past year have this unethical sleazy penalty. For example, this was a reservation at the Hotel Talisa in Vail over Christmas. This was booked with points. The cost of purchasing a room was about $450 a night. Prior to this thread I just ignored this penalty not thinking it was real (I just assumed I would lose all the points if I cancelled).

Special Services for All Rooms:
December 23, 2018 - December 25, 2018
Rate Plan: SPG Free Nights
AWARD REQUIRED Per Room/per Stay
Guarantee Rules
Your room is guaranteed with a(n) VISA card.
This credit card must be valid for the entire stay. Please present the credit card used to make this reservation upon check-in at the hotel. Please note: If you are booking on behalf of someone else, you must contact the hotel directly to arrange for third party billing.

Cancellation Details
If you cancel before 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 there will be no forfeiture amount.
If you cancel after 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 the forfeiture amount will be USD 899.00.
There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
IANAL but we might want to make a practice of screenshotting the "prevailing" rates at the time of booking an award reservation (perhaps even with a relevant non-discounted "test booking") as evidence for a contest against any attempts at penalties.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have never heard of a hotel putting a hold on a CC at the time of booking for the "rack rate" of a room and then refunding it later. Prepaid reservations, sure (as that goes with the name) but not something like this.

Moreover, every indication is that the OP was NOT charged at initial booking (a possible second, unauthorized booking notwithstanding). He was charged during his stay. So I think a certain poster hasn't even bothered to check the fact pattern of the case in question.
I agree, but I noticed something weird with a legacy MR reservation (IIRC at a AAA rate, which I'm entitled to use as I am a member) where some of the nights are now selling for a lot of money: A couple months after I made the reservation they apparently put a $1.00 charge through on my credit card and then refunded it a few days later. They I looked at the reservation online and it gives the usual and expected two day cancel deadline, but when I click on rate rules, a box pops up saying that the reservation has been nonrefundable since one day after the booking. Of course I checked my confirmation email, which gives the 48 hour policy, but I'm printing and keeping all documentation for this reservation (and I'll avoid the property in the future).

BTW when I got the email from AmEx notifying me of the $1.00 credit, my first thought was that my credit card had been compromised and someone was testing it by attempting a small purchase. I'm wondering whether I should report the hotel's practice to AmEx.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:24 pm

So, as an aside I put in a test booking from May 28-June 1. No special rate. I see the following T&C:

Now, I'm not about to put a quarter million points "at risk" to see what comes back in an email (that's a free flight to Australia "in play"), but either the policy has changed, is different after Memorial Day, or that booking would generate two conflicting policies in separate communications. The cash rates were, btw, in the $500/night range (so I think there's a good chance that a $1000/night fee would be unconscionable).

Moreover, the underlying overall issue is that
$1,000 a night is absolutely the prevailing rate for February and into early march for this hotel. The weekend after memorial day is a substantial discount for a property whose main attraction is a three block walk to a ski mountain...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree, but I noticed something weird with a legacy MR reservation (IIRC at a AAA rate, which I'm entitled to use as I am a member) where some of the nights are now selling for a lot of money: A couple months after I made the reservation they apparently put a $1.00 charge through on my credit card and then refunded it a few days later. They I looked at the reservation online and it gives the usual and expected two day cancel deadline, but when I click on rate rules, a box pops up saying that the reservation has been nonrefundable since one day after the booking. Of course I checked my confirmation email, which gives the 48 hour policy, but I'm printing and keeping all documentation for this reservation (and I'll avoid the property in the future).

BTW when I got the email from AmEx notifying me of the $1.00 credit, my first thought was that my credit card had been compromised and someone was testing it by attempting a small purchase. I'm wondering whether I should report the hotel's practice to AmEx.
That's a pretty brazen "bait and switch". Wow.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
So the 10,000$ question... what happens if you use a 50$ prepaid credit card when you book an hotel with points ?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So the 10,000$ question... what happens if you use a 50$ prepaid credit card when you book an hotel with points ?
You receive a demand letter for $30k?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

A $1.00 reversed charge is the way merchants verify if a credit card used to guarantee a transaction is actually valid and accepting charges. If it had come back as declined the hotel would have probably cancelled your reservation or, at least, asked you to provide another cc for the booking.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Cancellation Details
If you cancel before 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 there will be no forfeiture amount.
If you cancel after 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 the forfeiture amount will be USD 899.00.
There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
I don't have a problem with these terms if they are disclosed at booking. The problem the OP (and many others) have is that the amount of the penalty is either not disclosed, or is only disclosed after the booking has been finalized in a follow-up email. Those practices are unconscionable.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
You receive a demand letter for $30k?
And then ? Good luck to them suing you to get money for a stay you already booked and paid using points...
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:14 am

And then ? Good luck to them suing you to get money for a stay you already booked and paid using points...
Haha. I didn't mean to suggest that I would fear such a demand letter - - in fact, it would get filed in the circular file within 10 seconds - - but, I have to think that they would attempt this move.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:47 am

Haha. I didn't mean to suggest that I would fear such a demand letter - - in fact, it would get filed in the circular file within 10 seconds - - but, I have to think that they would attempt this move.
My guess is that the hotel would bill the credit card on file. Then if you don't pay the credit card bill, it could be sent to a collection agency and hurt your credit score.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Jaunts
My guess is that the hotel would bill the credit card on file. Then if you don't pay the credit card bill, it could be sent to a collection agency and hurt your credit score.
The mental exercise we are discussing concerns using a $50 pre paid card to serve as the card on file. Let them try to milk that cow.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
A $1.00 reversed charge is the way merchants verify if a credit card used to guarantee a transaction is actually valid and accepting charges. If it had come back as declined the hotel would have probably cancelled your reservation or, at least, asked you to provide another cc for the booking.

I always keep a fake CC number on my profile (well it was valid a long time ago) as a means of protecting myself against all these data breaches.

The mental exercise we are discussing concerns using a $50 pre paid card to serve as the card on file. Let them try to milk that cow.
And maybe that's what I'll need to provide if they actually try to run a test charge against the card on file.

Quite obviously, the collective smarts of the folks on FT far far exceeds the mental capabilities of a property reservation/backoffice agent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.