Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mysterym
are you using a corp code or anything? for example, i have seen corp codes change a hotel with 30-60 day cancellation to 6pm day of check-in and others 7 days.
No corp code, but ..

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I wouldn't be surprised if the cancellation policy changed during the off-season. How's the skiing in Aspen at the end of May?
... good point (the original reason I picked the end of May was to be more than 60 days out).

Retested with April 5-7 and it does indeed say 60 days, and collection of a ~$1000 deposit. Will go back and edit my previous post.

So I will concede the part of the conversation about 60 days and $1k because it is mentioned up front. That doesn't change the fact that calling the property during IRROPs to notify about late arrival, does not equate to a cancellation or no-show.

Originally Posted by Gadot
except no laws have not allowed frequent flyer programs to change their rules.
Changing things like earning rules or redemption rates going forward is apples and oranges with unilaterally increasing the price after the fact on a contract that was agreed to under the previous terms.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zorak
No corp code, but ..

... good point (the original reason I picked the end of May was to be more than 60 days out).

Retested with April 5-7 and it does indeed say 60 days, and collection of a ~$1000 deposit. Will go back and edit my previous post.

So I will concede the part of the conversation about 60 days and $1k because it is mentioned up front. That doesn't change the fact that calling the property during IRROPs to notify about late arrival, does not equate to a cancellation or no-show.

Changing things like earning rules or redemption rates going forward is apples and oranges with unilaterally increasing the price after the fact on a contract that was agreed to under the previous terms.
But they did not increase the price. They charged him $$ at the rack room for the whole week like their T&C says.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
it would be like your credit card saying your APR is 19% and then on missing a payment, they sock you with a later added 1000 dollars.

1. The fee was not disclosed at booking
2. Marriott/spg cannot prove that the booking party received or read the retroactive fee addition

Safeway 100% applies as precedent. Spg cannot say "you may be charged a fee", not disclose a fee and then arbitrarily charge you. That's illegal and every court has sided with this.
His credit card got charged at booking per SPGs rules at the rack room rate. Had he showed up, it would have been refunded. He did not (per the hotel) and they followed their rules and kept the $ and refunded the points.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Conflating mileage value with unilateral, post hoc changes to reservation does not make you right.
Per their rules SPG charged his credit card the $$ at the time of booking. Had he showed, they would have canceled the credit card $, he did not so by their rules they charged the credit card and refunded the miles. Note it was by the rules at the time of booking. Whether he saw the charge or not (did they just put a hold on it) is not relevant. But if he is upset, it is with SPG and not Marriott
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
I notice that your profile lists you not with Delta, but with AA. Did you switch because of how Delta mistreated you as a loyal customer?
Partly and mostly because AA is more convenient than Delta from Buffalo and my "other" is a long time mega with AA. But still have lifetime platinum status with Delta and am flying them next week. I don't like AAs requiring the certificate for upgrade, Delta does if for free still at 5 days. I could also put down TWA "ambassador" and Eastern's "what ever". Thankfully I don't fly much anymore
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
This thread is giving me a headache, and one poster should give it a rest in particular.

What the St Regis Aspen did and has been doing for a long time is beyond tacky.

My last minute snowstorm cancellation experience was just last year and I called the property (another global brand) and the front desk replied "yeah, we heard. Which card would you like to charge the no-show fee to?" I simply hung up without arguing. I called Customer Service and got a Guest Relations supervisor who apologized and called the property to straighten them out and a no charge cancellation email appeared moments later. When the supervisor returned to the phone she advised that there is a policy worldwide in place for circumstances like a closed highway, etc and properties worldwide tend for forget.

So I wonder how a three-star property can provide better service than a St Regis can to a loyal frequent guest.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by PointWeasel; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
His credit card got charged at booking per SPGs rules at the rack room rate. Had he showed up, it would have been refunded. He did not (per the hotel) and they followed their rules and kept the $ and refunded the points.
I'm not sure what SPG rules you're talking about, but what you've described above has literally never happened at SPG. You don't get charged rack rate for an award stay at booking and then have the charge refunded when you check in. That may be the cancellation penalty under the rules, but it was never charged at booking and then refunded. The OP also didn't cancel the reservation, and I'm not aware of a rule that requires a guest to check-in at a specific time?

For what it's worth, Hyatt has a similar policy for award stays where they charge you the standard cash rate and refund the points for an award night if it's cancelled after the cancellation window and the amount is not disclosed up front. I don't have a huge issue with the concept for an actual cancellation, but for a late check-in that was the result of a flight cancellation I can't imagine any property (except 1 apparently) trying to enforce the rules in the manner you're describing.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:36 pm

You are so wrong. SPG did not do that. And you've been told that. But I guess you can keep saying it over and over if that makes you feel better.

I do see that a few RC's are doing that today, but that doesn't mean that the St. Regis in Aspen was doing so when OP made his reservation.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I wonder how much this case has cost the St Regis Aspen in cancelled/ unbooked stays so far?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SP03
Marriott needs to reign in on rouge hotels like the StR Aspen!
Marriott manages this property, too. This isn't a property managed by some rogue third-party management company.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I have never heard of a hotel putting a hold on a CC at the time of booking for the "rack rate" of a room and then refunding it later. Prepaid reservations, sure (as that goes with the name) but not something like this.

Moreover, every indication is that the OP was NOT charged at initial booking (a possible second, unauthorized booking notwithstanding). He was charged during his stay. So I think a certain poster hasn't even bothered to check the fact pattern of the case in question.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, as an aside I put in a test booking from May 28-June 1. No special rate. I see the following T&C:

Rate Details

Redemption, non-refundable if cancelled less than 7 days before arrival

Additional Information

• For detailed information regarding property category level and
  • other Redemption information please visit the property online
  • at www.marriott.com.Thank You

Holding Your Reservation

• We will need a credit card number to reserve your room 7 days before your expected arrival.

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until May 22, 2019 (7 day[s] before arrival).

When You Check-in

• Please be prepared to show proof of eligibility for your rate (such as a membership card, corporate or government identification card, or proof of your age).

Modifying Your Reservation

• Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.
Now, I'm not about to put a quarter million points "at risk" to see what comes back in an email (that's a free flight to Australia "in play"), but either the policy has changed, is different after Memorial Day, or that booking would generate two conflicting policies in separate communications. The cash rates were, btw, in the $500/night range (so I think there's a good chance that a $1000/night fee would be unconscionable).

Moreover, the underlying overall issue is that
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The cash rates were, btw, in the $500/night range (so I think there's a good chance that a $1000/night fee would be unconscionable.
I'll just note that the law of contracts does not allow contractual penalties. Which is an additional reason why the practice complained of here (charging a no show fee considerably higher than the going room rate) is legally problematic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott manages this property, too. This isn't a property managed by some rogue third-party management company.
That's sad. It's a highly mediocre hotel. The only reason it can charge so much is the limited availability of hotels.

Hopefully with the new W and Limelight in Snowmass, people will vote with their wallet.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Someone should send a link to this thread to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal.

Almost all of my Marriott resort reservations this past year have this unethical sleazy penalty. For example, this was a reservation at the Hotel Talisa in Vail over Christmas. This was booked with points. The cost of purchasing a room was about $450 a night. Prior to this thread I just ignored this penalty not thinking it was real (I just assumed I would lose all the points if I cancelled).

Special Services for All Rooms:
December 23, 2018 - December 25, 2018
Rate Plan: SPG Free Nights
AWARD REQUIRED Per Room/per Stay
Guarantee Rules
Your room is guaranteed with a(n) VISA card.
This credit card must be valid for the entire stay. Please present the credit card used to make this reservation upon check-in at the hotel. Please note: If you are booking on behalf of someone else, you must contact the hotel directly to arrange for third party billing.

Cancellation Details
If you cancel before 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 there will be no forfeiture amount.
If you cancel after 12:00 PM hotel time on Friday, 23 November 2018 the forfeiture amount will be USD 899.00.
There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.