Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by freed0m
A takeover does not.

But what if Marriott writes to communicate the change in contract term? Ignore at your own peril.

If Marriott does not communicate changes, that's Marriott's problem.

If you choose to ignore the communication, you know what is going to happen.
Wow, all I can say is wow.

A contract (and any modification to it) requires a meeting of the minds. If one party wishes to change the contract it cannot be done by a random e-mail. You need to be explicit about it, and not hide it in an e-mail that contain many other things. If you wish to change the terms the communication needs to be explicit (i.e, the e-mail would be titled modification of the terms and only talk about that) about AND allow for the contract to be void and null - which did not happen for those who booked inside the cancellation window.

I am just amazed what lengths some will go to justify bad behavior.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by geminidreams
What both of you have not addressed is the OP in this case made the booking with points pre merger. It is an SPG contract not a Marriott contract so all these discussions should address the fact that post merger you cannot unilaterally change the terms no matter how many years Marriott has operated differently from SPG.
then his problem should be with spg and not marriott. If you go to trip advisor for st regis aspen - his is virtually the only complaint.
Chatted with Marriott, hotels don't get paid points unless the guest arrives and signs in. Otherwise the hotel gets paid with $$. Sounds like they had a problem with people using points in the past
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
A takeover does not.

But what if Marriott writes to communicate the change in contract term? Ignore at your own peril.

If Marriott does not communicate changes, that's Marriott's problem.

If you choose to ignore the communication, you know what is going to happen.
Nope, not how contracts work. You dont get to unilaterally change the agreement. There is so much legal precedent that it really is nothing you can say that could justify your position.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gadot
then his problem should be with spg and not marriott. If you go to trip advisor for st regis aspen - his is virtually the only complaint.
Chatted with Marriott, hotels don't get paid points unless the guest arrives and signs in. Otherwise the hotel gets paid with $$. Sounds like they had a problem with people using points in the past
Marriott bought SPG so it is Marriotts problem to deal with. Did the op not deny he wrote the trip advisor comment?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I haven't looked at the contract part of this but I presume there are sufficient exceptions/T&C to get this by. I don't really see this as a legal issue.

Instead, its just exceptionally bad behavior almost certainly dictated by the property owner since we're not seeing reports elsewhere of this. A property with a 60 day cancellation policy should be a good hint that its a problem property.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:47 am

They sent a supplement. If you don’t agree, I thought normal course of action is to re-negotiate or cancel?

Ignoring it is not a solution.
you obviously do not understand how contracts work, in the most basic sense

"supplement" LOL

please, just stop
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The real question is, who runs the property?

According to press reports, this property is MANAGED BY MARRIOTT.

So, either the owner is meddling into the property or Marriott itself is doing this. It would be one thing if this was some random third-party management company, but this is Marriott. Hence why Marriott hasn't said anything about this incident.

Essentially, you have two separate divisions of corporate clashing against each other -- and that's assuming Marriott's loyalty division, which oversees Bonvoy, would take the side of customers in this instance. As we've seen with the breakfast benefit, the divisions that operate hotels and develop hotels seem to prevail over the loyalty division.
ouch, didnt know this prop is managed by marriott. they should be able to solve this more easily then i would think?

i have a feeling the whole REIT thing plays into it somehow... i have seen REITs acquire properties and the first things they try is charging fees left and right, many of them bogus or absurd, some flat out illegal. i will give you an example... i lived in a building for 5 years, REIT came along bought it, a week later, they tried charging for trash collection and water usage... i said no way, they pushed back, i cited how its illegal (you cant charge water if its not metered in the state, they were trying to divide it by apartments, then # of occupants, initially even tried to layer in the building's own use for things like watering in the yard, laundry room, etc). told them to take it off, they took it off but continued charging hundreds of other people. those that complained saw it disappear, those that did not got charged. i moved out for a dozen other reasons (building went to ....) but i heard they started charging things to tenants such as pest control for the entire building, dividing it out by # of apartments. talk about penny pinching. they are now one of the lowest rated buildings, dozens of bad reviews, and higher vacancies than ever before. they chose the path.

Last edited by mysterym; Mar 20, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mysterym
ouch, didnt know this prop is managed by marriott. they should be able to solve this more easily then i would think?

i have a feeling the whole REIT thing plays into it somehow... i have seen REITs acquire properties and the first things they try is charging fees left and right, many of them bogus or absurd, some flat out illegal. i will give you an example... i lived in a building for 5 years, REIT came along bought it, a week later, they tried charging for trash collection and water usage... i said no way, they pushed back, i cited how its illegal (you cant charge water if its not metered in the state, they were trying to divide it by apartments, then # of occupants, initially even tried to layer in the building's own use for things like watering in the yard, laundry room, etc). told them to take it off, they took it off but continued charging hundreds of other people. those that complained saw it disappear, those that did not got charged. i moved out for a dozen other reasons (building went to ....) but i heard they started charging things to tenants such as pest control for the entire building, dividing it out by # of apartments. talk about penny pinching. they are now one of the lowest rated buildings, dozens of bad reviews, and higher vacancies than ever before. they chose the path.
Managed doesn't mean controlled. Some building owners are fairly passive, some are very active. Sames as with apartments ... there is passive ownership and a management company running things. In other places, the owner is very involved and directing the management company.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by mysterym
you obviously do not understand how contracts work, in the most basic sense

"supplement" LOL

please, just stop
why don’t you share your position? What more does the property have to write to you to notify you more information about your reservation?

ii. If a Member fails to cancel a guaranteed Award Redemption Stay reservation within the permitted cancellation period, the Participating Property will charge the applicable cancellation fee to the credit card provided by the Member at the time the reservation was made and the Points that were redeemed will be re-deposited into the Member’s Account.
i believe the exact cancellation fee is not provided during booking. A subsequent email to detail the actual cancellation fee is warranted.

Last edited by freed0m; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Wow, all I can say is wow.

A contract (and any modification to it) requires a meeting of the minds. If one party wishes to change the contract it cannot be done by a random e-mail. You need to be explicit about it, and not hide it in an e-mail that contain many other things. If you wish to change the terms the communication needs to be explicit (i.e, the e-mail would be titled modification of the terms and only talk about that) about AND allow for the contract to be void and null - which did not happen for those who booked inside the cancellation window.

I am just amazed what lengths some will go to justify bad behavior.
have you tried to contact the hotel to cancel a reservation within reasonable period after you receive additional information from the hotel as you don’t agree with the new terms?

were you charged cancellion fee? If so, you certainly deserve a refund.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Gadot
I think the hotel is behaving inappropriately but .... you've identified a valid issue. Since the guest didn't check in, Marriott didn't pay the hotel for that night. Obviously, in hindsight, the guest would have said, I'll be arriving first thing in the morning, can you check me in so the room is ready and everyone gets paid or the FD would have proposed the same thing. While I can normally get early morning checkins after over night flights, I've done this from time to time.

That doesnt change the bizarre emails about $32,000 penalties or not recognizing OP's issue was legitimate.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

have you tried to contact the hotel to cancel a reservation within reasonable period after you receive additional information from the hotel as you don’t agree with the new terms?

were you charged cancellion fee? If so, you certainly deserve a refund.
If he didn't notice the modification email, he did not receive it. In your business, do customer contracts permit you provide notice of $30,000 add collects via email without receipt confirmation or similar?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:00 am

The terms and conditions of all bookings made via spg.com (and all other MAR websites) explicitly incorporated and referred back to the T&Cs of the loyalty program, which in turn explicitly provide for unilateral modification. The ability to reverse the no-show penalty by forfeiting the points was dropped with new T&Cs, as is the provision that no-shows are charged the cancellation penalty. In the case of this thread however I still believe that no soundly managed property should have regarded OP as a no show and he should have been checked-in when he called advising of his late arrival.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:07 am

Just a thought... has anyone filed a complaint with the SEC or lodged a written complaint with the shareholders of the REIT?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
The terms and conditions of all bookings made via spg.com (and all other MAR websites) explicitly incorporated and referred back to the T&Cs of the loyalty program, which in turn explicitly provide for unilateral modification.
Just because it's in the T&C doesn't mean it's legally enforceable. I suspect the property would have a real problem enforcing this fee, especially on these facts. In addition to the contract law issues, there's a real possibility the practice would be deemed an unfair or deceptive business practice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.