Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
SPG Policy Changes at the St. Regis Aspen

My favorite property is no longer. They are getting very stingy with both SPG member point redemptions, as well as availability. In particular:

* No more Jr. Suites with Points. What? Wife and I stayed over Christmas in 2007 and got a great deal using points (before the Feb'07 cat changes too). According to the website there are 5 Jr. Suites. These are great for us, not too big (don't need a full suite) but large enough for guests (second toilet), corner views, and separate make-up salon area. According to SPG Platinum line, the Jr. Suites are 27750 per night, an upcharge from the basic room, and in the SPG System as a "SPG6/SPECIALTY SLECT". Director of Rooms at the SR Aspen tells me frankly that this is no longer a redemption option at this property. They are NO LONGER redeeming points for Jr. Suites. Huh??? Of course, I could do the 50K points/night for the real suite if I wanted one. I have asked to escalate to the GM for an exception to this issue. Will keep you posted, but heads up. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS.

* "Secret" Room Availability. I called the Platinum line for Christmas 2009 (read: more than 1 year from now) about the availability of Jr. Suites anytime during the season. She has the inventory, but it's all booked up. Contacted the Director of Rooms there directly: no problem! No availability issue whatsoever. Now, is it OK for hotels to "pre-block" inventory for their own use?? So far in advance, seems a bit sneaky. I understand favoring return business but this would seem to keep the travel agents/SPG hotline/resline/website bookings from coming in.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
I think it makes sense…I mean, a hotel only has 5 of one room, it makes complete sense that they would change the redemption options. There are plenty of people who would pay that $1500 price tag for that same room, so why leave it available for points? I don’t really understand why you want an exception made, however. It’s just like T&C; Sometimes they change, and unfortunately we have to suck it up.

Originally Posted by gozetta

* "Secret" Room Availability. I called the Platinum line for Christmas 2009 (read: more than 1 year from now) about the availability of Jr. Suites anytime during the season. She has the inventory, but it's all booked up. Contacted the Director of Rooms there directly: no problem! No availability issue whatsoever. Now, is it OK for hotels to "pre-block" inventory for their own use?? So far in advance, seems a bit sneaky. I understand favoring return business but this would seem to keep the travel agents/SPG hotline/resline/website bookings from coming in.
And why do we have to sound so dramatic…how about something more along the lines of “SPG and hotel have different room availability” It happens! The hotel has to update the availability for everyone, so you may call SPG and they truly show no availability, but then you call the hotel and they have it…it’s no conspiracy, it’s probably just a lack of synchronization with the two systems, nothing more, nothing less. You realize that half of the hotels do not have all of their rates loaded for a good part of 2009, right? This hotel is still a great hotel IMHO!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by TravelFreak131
And why do we have to sound so dramatic…
Yeah, maybe you're right. In fact, we could really shorten the terms and conditions of the SPG program to read: "If the hotel feels like giving you a room for points, maybe they will, no guaranteees, call to find out! Forget mundane details like room types, categories, and availability, just hope for the best!" Kind of like the Deepak Chopra of hotel loyalty. Just project the right love and energy and then you'll get a room.

Originally Posted by TravelFreak131
There are plenty of people who would pay that $1500 price tag for that same room, so why leave it available for points?
It's actually $2240/night during Christmas, and with that logic, we could do away with any point program. I'm still hoping for the best as I too like the property!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Not surprised at the change, and asking for an exception would be wise if you could refer them to a folio from your past stay with an impressive cash spend. Otherwise, suck it up and be grateful for last years experience.

I tried booking this hotel during Christmas '08 last January/February and it was listed as sold out. Checked again last week and it looked pretty open. Had a great stay here during the same period last year.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:33 pm

UPDATE: several weeks later, I get a reply stating that I CAN do a reservation with Points for the Jr. Suite, 27750/night, with one caveat. They will charge an ADDITIONAL $200/night for the "upgrade." Huh? The upgrade? No, the 27750 IS the points price for the upgrade (2750 points per night for a few more square feet). Weird. I guess I'll pass this year =(
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I suspect that the problem here is that SPG's award point structure doesn't really parallel this particular hotel's cash pricing structure. And while that's a minor variation at some hotels and sometimes in the hotel's favor, it's not in the hotel's favor at this location.

The increments for cash prices for a room is significantly different than the increments in award prices. So this hotel said that they simply won't offer this upgraded room as an award, and now they're saying that they would be willing to offer it with a cash supplement that makes the award more closely parallel their cash pricing model. Why they aren't able to work with SPG to figure out a way to price it at something like 35,000 points is beyond me.

The opposite end of this problem is often evident in the award pricing for suites at other hotels. Take tomorrow night at the Cat2 4P Hotel & Suites San Francisco Airport, for example:
Traditional Room $109
Exec Jr Suite $129 (18% more than Traditional)
Penthouse Suite $149 (36% more than Traditional)

The incremental price for a Jr Suite award seems reasonable for this property. But it doesn't seem sensible that the award price for the Penthouse Suite at this 4P should be 100% more than the award price for a Traditional Room. But that's how it is because the award system isn't tied to the price of the individual room types. Oh well.

For 12/20-12/23/09 at the SR Aspen, I'm seeing the Jr Suite for about 50% more than the price of their cheapest room. So why should it seem fair to the hotel for them to be expected to offer it as an award for just 11% more than the award price for a basic room? Their offer for $200 + 2750 points is worth less than that price difference -- and especially if you're really seeing cash prices over $2000 for your dates.

They don't have to offer an award at all for any of their upgraded rooms. FWIW, the cash price of a 1BR Suite at the SR Aspen is almost 100% more than a basic room on the dates above.

St Regis Aspen floor plans:
1 King Guest Room floorplan (400 sqft):

Jr Suite floorplan (690 sqft):

One Bedroom Suite floorplan (820 sqft):
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I'm going to burn 100k pts at this hotel this March. Does it mean that I should expect absolutely nothing from this hotel as fas as upgrades and benefits as a Platinum? How about late check-out? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I know that the economy sucks and ski destinations have suffered, but I'm still surprised that this thread has seen so little discussion over the past year and a half. No notable posts for 2 winters?

I'm sorry to see that Olive's is no longer here. The restaurant is now The Restaurant. Reservations via www.OpenTable.com.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Resurrecting this thread today.......we just booked five nights using points for next January (MLK week). Cost 22.5K points per night (2500 more per night for a Deluxe fireplace room) and of course 5th night was free. As a GOLD Preferred is there ANY chance of getting upgraded to a suite...Junior or better? The Gold line would not let me use points for Junior suite and 1BR suite was 40K points a night...too rich for my blood!

Bringing wife and two kids so really would like the suite so curious if anyone has ever gotten this upgrade from a Deluxe room to a Junior Suite or better?

Thanks!

Last edited by gores95; Jun 29, 2009 at 8:24 am
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by gores95
Resurrecting this thread today.......we just booked five nights using points for next January (MLK week). Cost 22.5K points per night (2500 more per night for a Deluxe fireplace room) and of course 5th night was free. As a GOLD Preferred is there ANY chance of getting upgraded to a suite...Junior or better? The Gold line would not let me use points for Junior suite and 1BR suite was 40K points a night...too rich for my blood!

Bringing wife and two kids so really would like the suite so curious if anyone has ever gotten this upgrade from a Deluxe room to a Junior Suite or better?

Thanks!
I've stayed at the resort over MLK week and it was packed. There was absolutely no upgrades available...now, if the economy continues the way it is, people may not be booking as much, but I know this past January, we stayed and they were completely full for MLK week. I highly doubt there would be any upgrades available at all, and if there were ANY, chances are they would go to the Platinum members.

During their peak season, which is when you are traveling, I highly recommend booking what you need, and not counting on any upgrade.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
I know that the economy sucks and ski destinations have suffered, but I'm still surprised that this thread has seen so little discussion over the past year and a half. No notable posts for 2 winters?

I'm sorry to see that Olive's is no longer here. The restaurant is now The Restaurant. Reservations via www.OpenTable.com.
Same menu, same everything...just different name
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Just really how bad is this economy when this property has rooms starting at $1100 a night? I guess some folks still have plenty of cash or this whole recession thing is being overplayed. $1100 a night.....unbelievable.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
I stayed here about 3 weekends ago on my Free Weekend Night Award rooms. First off, the front desk lady was very attentive. asked us about all of our travels, gave us some bottles of water, and asked us or preferences for cleaning times and what papers we wanted in the morning.

As an SPG Plat, I did get upgraded to a Deluxe room, which basically meant it was a standard room with a view of the mountain. Upon getting into the room, someone at some point thought it was mine and my "wifes' anniversary, so they had a card saying "Mr and Mrs Rkmontoya" and a complimentary bottle of champagne... I was with my brother, and 2 other friends, but hey.. ill take it!

The resort itself was gorgeous. The pool was great, and the 3 hot tubs open 24 hours was one of our favorite parts! Nothing like being in a hot tub, a little buzzed, at 3 am in the mountains!

Every request that we had (spoons for my neices cereal, extra pillows and blankets, questions about the city) was met with serious attention.

The Mercedes SUV to drive you anwhere in the city was a fantastic touch. We had a friend with us who had a broken leg in a cast, so the SUV was able to drop him off wherever it was that we were going.

All in all, it was a great resort, but I am far to cheap to pay $1,000 a night anywhere on the planet... But, for free? AWESOME!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:52 am

stayed during christmas 2009

hi,

just completed a 1 week stay on points during christmas week. 1st visit to this property. a few thoughts..

upgrades: there were 4 of us traveling, so we definitely needed at least a room with 2 doubles. being christmas week, i did not want to chance on a possible upgrade. so, i booked a guaranteed 2 double-bed room on points (standard room redemption was 20k/night, 2 double-bed grand deluxe room was 22.5k/night - well worth it). of course, upon checkin (and periodically prior to arrival), i enquired about upgrade availability (as spg gold). the property was pretty much 100% occupancy the entire week. the next category up from a grand deluxe room is a junior suite (of which, according to previous threads in this forum, there are only a very limited amount), so we did not get any additional room upgrade. still, the 2-double room was on floor 4 of 5, overlooking the pool and aspen mountain - a very nice view! they provided 4 complimentary bottles of water daily. in addition to free use of the spa facility (see below), plats also get daily hot chocolate/tea/coffee delivered to their room.

spa: from what i understand, use of the spa requires a daily $25 fee (waived for plats, but was also waived for me for whatever reason). for specific services (massages, facials, etc), there is obviously an additional charge. i availed the use of the spa regularly. spa is very well appointed. it has this grotto-like area with a couple of waterfall-like streams, and a couple of enclaves within this area that you could sit back in, and jets of warm water would shoot out from the wall onto your neck and back. very relaxing! they also had this crazy shower that literally had 14 different jets spraying you from all possible angles. after long, cold days of skiing, i would literally spend at least 30 min in this shower. they also have an "oxygen room" that was a very nicely arranged lounge-like room where you can sit on individual lounge beds in front of a gas fireplace, with your feet fully extended, listening to classical music in the background, munching on dried fruit and sipping cider/water. i unexpectedly fell asleep there for 1 hour after that 14-jet shower, only to be awakened at closing. the gym is next door to the spa. use of the gym is free for all guests. nice facility.

restaurant: daily breakfast buffet was a pricey $35. however, from christmas day - new years day, the breakfast buffet was complimentary for all hotel guests! a very thoughtful touch by the management! apparently they did this christmas 2008 as well. the location of the hotel is nearby several nice places to eat, thus we only had 1 other non-breakfast meal in the restaurant, which was also top notch.

skiing: this is not a ski in/ski out property. however, the hotel manages a ski rental shop right outside the front door. they store your equipment for free as well. the hotel shuttle can take you to base of aspen mountain (3-5 min drive vs a 15 min walk). if you want to go to any of the other 3 mountains in the immediate area, the city operates a very efficient (and free) bus system.

just a few brief points. overall, we were very happy with our stay. i'd be happy to answer any specific questions, if anyone has any!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'd thought the hot chocolate / coffee was standard for all guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.