Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cedahm
I have a points redemption (made in October) starting this weekend.

I believe they used to not except SNA's - but I saw the option a few weeks ago in my reservation, so I requested them, got confirmation email, then immediatelyfollowing that was a 'Your Suite Night Awards request has been removed" email.

I tried again late last week and the request went through and I did not get the immediate cancellation of the request. Monday I got a notification that we'd been upgraded to a 1BR suite. Yay. Then - last night - it changed to a 'Grand Deluxe' room and now, this morning it is back to just 'Deluxe'

I am not overly concerned one way or the other (it would save me a few bucks on a rollaway) - but curious for those that have dealt with the property...

Given their reputation for not giving a lot of Titanium recognition - should I bring it up/email them about it before check-in? I have a screenshot of the reservation showing the Suite confirmed. I'm nervous that if I bring it up I'll get 'flagged' as 'one of those 60K/night people' described earlier in this thread. Or, better to just deal with it at check-in?
Well, it certainly won't hurt to bring a screenshot of confirmation but I would be surprised if they keep you in the suite. Make sure they don't charge you 3000$ per night for the upgrade after returning you the SNA... And don't arrive after midnight
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I have a points redemption (made in October) starting this weekend.

I believe they used to not except SNA's - but I saw the option a few weeks ago in my reservation, so I requested them, got confirmation email, then immediatelyfollowing that was a 'Your Suite Night Awards request has been removed" email.

I tried again late last week and the request went through and I did not get the immediate cancellation of the request. Monday I got a notification that we'd been upgraded to a 1BR suite. Yay. Then - last night - it changed to a 'Grand Deluxe' room and now, this morning it is back to just 'Deluxe'

I am not overly concerned one way or the other (it would save me a few bucks on a rollaway) - but curious for those that have dealt with the property...

Given their reputation for not giving a lot of Titanium recognition - should I bring it up/email them about it before check-in? I have a screenshot of the reservation showing the Suite confirmed. I'm nervous that if I bring it up I'll get 'flagged' as 'one of those 60K/night people' described earlier in this thread. Or, better to just deal with it at check-in?
The whole point of the SNA under Starwood was to prevent hotels from gaming the upgrade system. It's clear from your description that the hotel is trying to bypass it. I would be pretty upset if this happened to me, but frankly I'm not surprised after reading about St Aspen charging $1000 for someone arriving a day later due to a flight delay.

I would try to reach out to Marriott before your stay and ask them to confirm that you are in a suite since you got the email notification. I feel it would be better to have Marriott advocate on your behalf, since you are using a Marriott SNA . Once you get to the hotel, you really don't have any leverage anymore.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SP03
The whole point of the SNA under Starwood was to prevent hotels from gaming the upgrade system. It's clear from your description that the hotel is trying to bypass it. I would be pretty upset if this happened to me, but frankly I'm not surprised after reading about St Aspen charging $1000 for someone arriving a day later due to a flight delay.

I would try to reach out to Marriott before your stay and ask them to confirm that you are in a suite since you got the email notification. I feel it would be better to have Marriott advocate on your behalf, since you are using a Marriott SNA . Once you get to the hotel, you really don't have any leverage anymore.
Marriott advocate for a customer? That would be extremely unlikely, especially at this property.

Did the "OP" get an email saying that the SNA request was confirmed or does the "OP" just see a different room category indicated when looking at the online reservation?

"OP" should print multiple hard copies of the confirmation to bring to the hotel and be prepared to fight. It would also be wise to make sure that the hotel doesn't intend to charge the "OP" lots of additional money for the suite upgrade, if it happens.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Marriott advocate for a customer? That would be extremely unlikely, especially at this property.

Did the "OP" get an email saying that the SNA request was confirmed or does the "OP" just see a different room category indicated when looking at the online reservation?

"OP" should print multiple hard copies of the confirmation to bring to the hotel and be prepared to fight. It would also be wise to make sure that the hotel doesn't intend to charge the "OP" lots of additional money for the suite upgrade, if it happens.
Thanks for the suggestions, all

I DID get an email saying :UPGRADE CONFIRMEDGood news — your Suite Night Awards™ request has been fulfilled and an upgraded room is awaiting your arrival.
The email then has reservation number, dates, property, but it does NOT specify the upgraded room type - which is why I went and looked at the reservation (and took the screenshot).

I emailed Bonvoy 'support' and plan to ring the 'Titanium Reservations Line' later when I have some time.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions, all

I DID get an email saying :UPGRADE CONFIRMEDGood news — your Suite Night Awards™ request has been fulfilled and an upgraded room is awaiting your arrival.
The email then has reservation number, dates, property, but it does NOT specify the upgraded room type - which is why I went and looked at the reservation (and took the screenshot).

I emailed Bonvoy 'support' and plan to ring the 'Titanium Reservations Line' later when I have some time.
What room types did you select for SNA upgrades? Did you select only the suite?

Definitely call. I have never received a response to my emails since the merger last year.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG SNA confirmations used to state the suite category that was confirmed. It was a very useful feature.

Now when I apply SNAs I print the page showing what categories I'm checking as I'm loath to spend a SNA on some slightly better room (that I should get anyway if available) or a junior suite, although I might go for a junior suite if the SNAs are otherwise going to expire.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Now I wouldn't be surprised if this hotel downgrade you from a Standard (called Superior) with a separated bath and shower to a combined bath-shower (as they did to me) and then use your SNA to re-upgrade you in a Superior with a separated bath and shower. Or, if it is a very good day for them, maybe give you a slightly better Deluxe room.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SP03
What room types did you select for SNA upgrades? Did you select only the suite?

Definitely call. I have never received a response to my emails since the merger last year.
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Now I wouldn't be surprised if this hotel downgrade you from a Standard (called Superior) with a separated bath and shower to a combined bath-shower (as they did to me) and then use your SNA to re-upgrade you in a Superior with a separated bath and shower. Or, if it is a very good day for them, maybe give you a slightly better Deluxe room.
I went back and checked my original reservation and the original reservation was for a Deluxe room.

That is now the same room the reservation is showing (It went from 'Deluxe' -> '1BR Suite' -> Grand Deluxe -> Deluxe over the course of 48 hours).

I am calling them tonight. I don't expect to get the Suite although that's what I'll ask for. Given the StR Aspen's notoriety for exorbitant cancellation fees, and the fine print saying that cancelling SNA's means cancelling the reservation, I am also NOT pulling the SNA's (I have more than I will realistically use before they expire, anyway). I'll fight for them back after the fact if need be.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Now when I apply SNAs I print the page showing what categories I'm checking as I'm loath to spend a SNA on some slightly better room (that I should get anyway if available) or a junior suite, although I might go for a junior suite if the SNAs are otherwise going to expire.
I will do this in the future - I didn't print those pages when I made the request, but the only one that showed up was the 1-Bedroom Suite (which is the one I, however briefly, was upgraded to)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:59 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
I went back and checked my original reservation and the original reservation was for a Deluxe room.

That is now the same room the reservation is showing (It went from 'Deluxe' -> '1BR Suite' -> Grand Deluxe -> Deluxe over the course of 48 hours).
Would you send us an email with the details on this? I.e., Account number and confirmation number.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thank you Lurker for looking into this!

Marriott needs to reign in on rouge hotels like the StR Aspen!
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Maybe I don't know how to use this forum but where did the original thread go? It just says moved.

Honestly, most of the stuff on FlyerTalk is trivial but that thread about how Marriott is ripping off people with cancellation fees, in addition to losing your entire pre-payment, was pretty useful.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Maybe I don't know how to use this forum but where did the original thread go? It just says moved.

Honestly, most of the stuff on FlyerTalk is trivial but that thread about how Marriott is ripping off people with cancellation fees, in addition to losing your entire pre-payment, was pretty useful.
Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Mods got a little excited.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mysterym
That's very annoying. Somehow I got subscribed to this thread (without even knowing it existed) and stopped receiving notifications for the other thread.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by danger
That's very annoying. Somehow I got subscribed to this thread (without even knowing it existed) and stopped receiving notifications for the other thread.
@MoDs: Can we please consolidate these threads? Both are discussing the exact same issue at present, and this issue is very important.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by moondog
@MoDs: Can we please consolidate these threads? Both are discussing the exact same issue at present, and this issue is very important.
I think discussion should occur in the other thread, where it originally started. I believe that other thread was merged with this thread for a little bit, but now is its own separate thread again, which in my opinion is as it should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.