Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheration Jumeirah Beach Resort Dubai [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 04, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: Hamburg, Germany / LH SEN, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Leaders Club, Kempinski Private Concierge

I was wondering if anyone could give share some more experiences how the Jumeira Beach treats Plats (upgrades, Lounge access).
I was about to choose the Jumeira Beach for 3 night stay because I don't want to stay all days in the city (Creek).
Can one use the Jumeira Beach as Plat when staying at the creek or is there a public beach alternative?

Looking forward for your replies
Matthias
Old Jan 30, 04, 8:38 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Sheraton Jumeraih Beach was my first stay as a Platinum. Got upgraded to a triangular sized suite facing the city and construction instead of the beach. However lounge is very nice with good food and staff attentive. Beach facilities are nice and enjoyed the outdoor cafe and bar area around the pool. This hotel is the last resort for me (literally!) on the stretch of resort hotels. It also appeared to me to be among the most dated, some fabrics worn in room and general outside appearance looked a little run down. Lastly, learned they do provide airport shuttle, wish I had known about this before getting a driver all the way out there.

As for the Burj, I am told that it costs $50 just to enter the lobby or visit a guest?!? The adjacent Jumeraih Beach hotel is nice and has a small fun German bar with a variety of beers on the 2nd level. Was fun to watch World Cup games there.

------------------
Love/hate relationship now with AA and their "us vs. them approach"
Old Feb 29, 04, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Sheraton Dubai Jumeirah question

I saw in another thread that there is a shuttle from Dubai aiport to the hotel, does anyone know anything about it (i.e. where to find it in DXB)?

I emailed the hotel 4-5 days ago and no response as of yet. Am flying there tonight!

Many thanks
PhilH
Old Sep 10, 04, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Dubai - Jumeira Beach? anyone been recently

just wondering if anyone has stayed at the jumeira sheraton? and how bad the building is of late, is the dubai creek worth 2x the price?
i am a spg gold if that makes any dif to your choice?
any other hotels in dubai that would price out at 340 aed (52) p/nt for the end of sept 04

i dont mind spending a bit more but am also going to maldives and don't want to blow it all in dubai
Old Sep 11, 04, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you search here I know I and others wrote plenty of info on these hotels. The Sheraton Jumeira Beach is a nice resort beach hotel, far away from town. The Creek property is a very nice city hotel. The Sheraton Deira is nearby the Creek and still a decent city hotel. However if it was my money and I was renting a car anyway AND I liked swimming in the Gulf (which I do), I'd go ahead and hit the Beach.

I'm not sure what is going on in September in DXB? The rates are much higher than I would have expected given the 45 degree weather.
Old Jan 27, 05, 5:10 am

Programs: DOD, AF Petroleum Club, Emirates Silver, Hertz 5 Star, SPG Platinum
Sheraton Jumeirah Beach (Dubai) -- last straw

(While I'm definitely biased toward the negative now, as a result of 3 bad hotel stays in 3 days, I'm trying to be as objective as possible.)

I'm at the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach now (in Dubai). It's in the middle of a construction zone; this isn't really the hotel's fault, but it does lower the quality of staying here.

I got a "landview" room; apparently Gold means "obviously you stay a small number of times per year; we'd prefer to give better rooms to non-SPG (who MIGHT stay often, or might be new customers) or SPG Plat". ("520", although I didn't get a map to see what the various rooms are like. It's next to the elevators, so it gets plenty of noise)

The beach is interesting -- down the beach (in front of the Ritz, etc.), it's quite nice, but here, there are vehicles parked on the beach, and trash. Not a whole lot of people. Maybe it's 1km down the beach to the nicer areas. Part of the problem is this is the last property on the beach before a massive construction zone.

The "business center" is a closet off the lobby with 2 PCs. It DOES have printers, and ethernet. It does close at 1800, which is amusing even though it's unattended. It has the standard Emirates filtered network (which I can punch through with SSH). Starwood UAE is bad, but Etisalat is a telco monopoly, and truly horrible. The business center is apparently also where parents park their kids for noisy babysitting.

I emailed Starwood and Sheraton Middle East 3 days ago with no response.

(I also tried room service at the Four Points last night, and have been sick all day from the undercooked mezzeh...mmm, red ground beef, always good)

I am cancelling my future Starwood reservations and switching to Jumeirah International in UAE; Pen/MO and local hotels in SE Asia, and something TBD in the US and Europe. I will still stay at the Sheraton Kuwait (and at Sheratons in Iraq), SGS BKK, but those are based on the individual hotel merits, and I'd continue with them if/when they left Starwood.

I guess I'd still stay in a Starwood Sheraton Four Points for $50/night in the US, but it's pretty hard to have a bad hotel at $50/night in the US, due to the competitive marketplace.

If I ever have to stay in a Sheraton Middle East property again, I'll bring my manpack satellite gear and a tent and set up outside.

I have no idea why a brand which does so well in some countries (Kuwait, US, Thailand, etc.) allows some areas to do so poorly. It would be better if the properties in the UAE were not part of Starwood at all.
Old Jan 27, 05, 7:38 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
you are in dubai at the end of the Eid holiday, where I can imagine a lot of people (with lots of cash to spare) are taking week long vacations, also, the shopping festival is on.. so the premium rooms may well have been sold at nice high rates to those customers. a quick look online shows that a sea view king is selling for AED 915 tonight ($250 before taxes)

the location of the sheraton jumeirah is unfortunate. take a look at http://www.jbr.ae - it is a very large development and will envelope the ritz-carlton and the next hotel along the beach as well.

then of course, the water de-salinization plant on the other side of the hotel is a nice attraction as well.
Old Jan 27, 05, 10:14 pm

I just returned from 10 days in Dubai. I didn't stay at any of the hotels along the Jumeirah Beach area (between the Burj and Jebel Ali), but rather stayed at a friends apartment just across Sheik Zayed Road next to Emirates Golf Club.

To say I was stunned at the massive amount of development now going on in that area is a huge understatement. It simply boggles the mind.

My recommendation for at least the next 12 months in that area is to simply avoid any hotel in the construction zone. The buildings are right around the 10-15 story range now and due to go higher, it will be a while before they're done. Until that time the place will be a mess. However, construction projects in the UAE get accomplished at amazing speed, so before you know it the place will look like paradise.

If I were going there I would opt for the Royal Mirage, Meridian, Burj, or really the fantastic new Madinat property. That place is simply incredible. Full of night life.
Old Jan 28, 05, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by tfjim
If I were going there I would opt for the Royal Mirage, Meridian, Burj, or really the fantastic new Madinat property. That place is simply incredible. Full of night life.
Agreed. I put a review of Madinat Jumeirah in the Luxury Hotels forum a week or so ago.

Anyone going to Dubai should note that the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj and the hotels at Madinat Jumeirah are NOT affected by the massive construction going on in Dubai / Jebal Ali - but they are probably amongst the very few hotels that are not affected.
Old Jan 28, 05, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat, EK Silver, MR AMB
Originally Posted by RJB
Anyone going to Dubai should note that the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj and the hotels at Madinat Jumeirah are NOT affected by the massive construction going on in Dubai / Jebal Ali - but they are probably amongst the very few hotels that are not affected.

Just booked Sheraton Jumeriah yesterday for 11 days in August-- Is the Royal Meridien a better bet, location wise. Bit more expensive but...
Old Feb 8, 05, 8:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, BA blue
Unhappy

I'm back from Dubai and so I'll tell you what's happend.
Month ago I wrote a mail to S. Jumaira Beach that I'll arrive in the early morning on 4th (6.20am) and asked for a getting a room when arriving. They wrote back that it's high season and can#t give a garantee for a room so early if I want to have one I should make a reservotion from 3.february.
So I spend points and made a second reservation from 3. february to 4th.
Some weeks ago I send them a mail with my two reservation numbers and asked for a pick up at the airport with my flight no and this was confirmed by the hotel for the 4th. Arriving in the morning there was no pick up only for other guest. One driver phoned to the hotel and he said to me, that there is no pick up orderd. I took a taxi to the hotel.
By check in I made a reclamation and showed the staff the e-mail.
Then she told me that I arrive so early and there is no room for me ready. I showed here the reservation from 3th to 4th and then I got a room???????!

By check out I found a rate for no-shown from 3th to 4th. on the bill.
I tried to explane her the reservation, showed her the mail, but the non-shown is correct she told me, because there was no check-in on 3rd february.
Ok I said I'll pay but give me the points back. But this is also impossible because the points have nothing to do with the non-shown rate, it's like a reservation by an airline and if I'm to late it's my fault. It was now about 20 minutes discussion then she went to the manager and after about 15 minutes she made a new bill but only while I'm plat. member and not while it's a hotel mistake.
What shell I do next time, when I arrive in the early morning and want to have a room?
Old Feb 8, 05, 12:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by reiner
I'm back from Dubai and so I'll tell you what's happend.
Month ago I wrote a mail to S. Jumaira Beach that I'll arrive in the early morning on 4th (6.20am) and asked for a getting a room when arriving. They wrote back that it's high season and can#t give a garantee for a room so early if I want to have one I should make a reservotion from 3.february.
So I spend points and made a second reservation from 3. february to 4th.
Some weeks ago I send them a mail with my two reservation numbers and asked for a pick up at the airport with my flight no and this was confirmed by the hotel for the 4th. Arriving in the morning there was no pick up only for other guest. One driver phoned to the hotel and he said to me, that there is no pick up orderd. I took a taxi to the hotel.
By check in I made a reclamation and showed the staff the e-mail.
Then she told me that I arrive so early and there is no room for me ready. I showed here the reservation from 3th to 4th and then I got a room???????!

By check out I found a rate for no-shown from 3th to 4th. on the bill.
I tried to explane her the reservation, showed her the mail, but the non-shown is correct she told me, because there was no check-in on 3rd february.
Ok I said I'll pay but give me the points back. But this is also impossible because the points have nothing to do with the non-shown rate, it's like a reservation by an airline and if I'm to late it's my fault. It was now about 20 minutes discussion then she went to the manager and after about 15 minutes she made a new bill but only while I'm plat. member and not while it's a hotel mistake.
What shell I do next time, when I arrive in the early morning and want to have a room?
You shouldn't have to do anything different. You did exactly as they asked.

If it were me, I'd call Hotel Customer Service and explain this to them. Call the toll-free number on the back of your membership card and ask to be transferred to Hotel Customer Service.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Apr 13, 06, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
has anyone got any thoughts on the building work outside the jumeria sheraton, i am abit concerned about booking because of this, it looks like a toy hotel in front of towers by the piccys.. but it is a good price
Old Dec 11, 06, 11:23 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Help with hotel in Dubai

Greetings,

I am trying to book the Sheraton Jumeirah in Dubai for Jan 29-31.
For the last 3 months the hotel only shows rack rates on spg.com for about 490/night.

I figured, hey why not use my spg 50 cert. Of course it is not available.
I then think I will just use points and of course it is not available either even though rooms are available. (I know there is another thread on this already)

Then I do a search and find the same room with breakfast on travelocity for $335 a night.

So my questions to you are
1) And advice on what I should do?
2) If I purchase from travelocity do I still earn SPG points? I know I can't get SPG to match because travelocity's rate is a package.
3) Can someone explain to me why I can't use my SPG50 coupon? Do you think if I wait I will be able to use it?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if these questions are all answered elsewhere, I was unable to find them with the search feature.

NDTraveler
Old Dec 11, 06, 11:33 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Considering your time frame, I dont think you will get a better deal for that time
even if you wait.
End of January - mid Feb is one of the busiest season.

I'll leave it upto someone else to answer the Sheraton specific questions.

Search this Thread