Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheration Jumeirah Beach Resort Dubai [Master Thread]

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheration Jumeirah Beach Resort Dubai [Master Thread]

Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by stylo4444
Hmmm..confined to the spaces within the resort grounds? I'm not sure what you mean by that, I'm assuming you're thinking there's nothing to do outside of the resort itself?

In any case, this hotel is on Jumeirah Beach, close to the Marina. If you've ever been to Dubai, you know there's quite a bit to do nearby. Especially The Walk which has loads of restaurants, shopping etc. The Metro system in Dubai is also fairly decent and expanding, so it's actually quite the easy city to get around. I would say that any of the Starwood properties on Jumeirah Beach are in a good location. I'm not sure why this one in particular can be a bit stiny on upgrades, as Dubai has a lot of Starwood hotels...but then again, I would not be surprised one bit of those Suites see high occupancy from people who are willing to pay for it.
Thank you for that Stylo. Yes that is exactly what I meant.
I am not a fan of giving business to properties that try to dodge SPG rules with upgrades… having read this thread I am increasingly inclined to cancelling my booking and moving it elsewhere… though I would have liked the resort setting.

Will also drop the hotel an email to tell them why I am cancelling my res.

Any suggestions on where I can take my biz in Dubai (except GH which is over my budget this time)?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Thank you for that Stylo. Yes that is exactly what I meant.
I am not a fan of giving business to properties that try to dodge SPG rules with upgrades… having read this thread I am increasingly inclined to cancelling my booking and moving it elsewhere… though I would have liked the resort setting.

Will also drop the hotel an email to tell them why I am cancelling my res.

Any suggestions on where I can take my biz in Dubai (except GH which is over my budget this time)?
Speak to the hotel guest services manager before canceling and see what they can do for you in regards to an upgrade. That's always a better approach than just canceling outright and letting them know why you did that.

There's a Meridien and Westin in the same area that are nice properties. In terms of pricing, I don't think they would be that much cheaper than the Sheraton, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are little more pricey. The other properties in Dubai...I think at the end of the day, they are in locations that are not as convenient as being on Jumeirah Beach. But with that said, the Metro system works...is clean, and Dubai is easier to get around with it. Avoid rush hour traffic if you are driving or taking a cab, you could be stuck a while.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There's a Meridien and Westin in the same area that are nice properties. In terms of pricing, I don't think they would be that much cheaper than the Sheraton, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are little more pricey.
Neither Le Meridien nor Westin is SPG participating property so no points/upgrades/free internet or any SPG status related benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by holtju2
Neither Le Meridien nor Westin is SPG participating property so no points/upgrades/free internet or any SPG status related benefits.
Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of this.

And we wonder why upgrades are starting to decrease hmmm...well if those two properties are not participating, then on JB the Sheraton would be the best option - and it does not surprise me then that upgrades are not that frequent at this hotel. There are probably a lot of plats that stay here in order to try and receive their plat benefits. So if on any given night, 100 plats decide to stay in Dubai and want to be on Jumeirah Beach...there is a good chance that most of them will go for the Sheraton. If the Le Meridien and Westin were participating properties...well, you'd see it spread out much better I think.

But who knows, I could be completely off with that assessment.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of this.

And we wonder why upgrades are starting to decrease hmmm...well if those two properties are not participating, then on JB the Sheraton would be the best option - and it does not surprise me then that upgrades are not that frequent at this hotel. There are probably a lot of plats that stay here in order to try and receive their plat benefits. So if on any given night, 100 plats decide to stay in Dubai and want to be on Jumeirah Beach...there is a good chance that most of them will go for the Sheraton. If the Le Meridien and Westin were participating properties...well, you'd see it spread out much better I think.

But who knows, I could be completely off with that assessment.
The big dog IMO for JB is the Grosvenor House. It participates but is usually 50-100 USD more a night than the Sheraton JB.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by schley
The big dog IMO for JB is the Grosvenor House. It participates but is usually 50-100 USD more a night than the Sheraton JB.
I'd pay 200 extra for the GH, it's one of the best Starwood properties in the world.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Here's the review from my stays at this hotel in October and December. You can find the photos (86) and the video of the suite I had at http://bit.ly/jumshe.

Stayed at this Sheraton resort twice; once in October and another time in December. Both times my stay was for several days using free resort nights awards from Starwood’s summer promotion. Sheraton was the only participating resort when it came to redeeming the free nights in Dubai.

Overall this is a fine resort but doesn’t quite live up to the official five star rating. It is a solid four star hotel, however. Apparently, they do quite a bit of business through tour companies. There were lots of Russians and quite a few Swedes and Finns. At least TUI has this property sold through various “package” travel agencies in Europe.

The hotel is located on the far end of the Jumeirah Beach Walk. This rather long street is full of restaurants and has some shops as well. On the other side of the road from the Sheraton is a Starbucks, which doesn’t offer free wireless, and a Thai restaurant.

Check in

As a Starwood Preferred Guests Platinum member, I decided to check in both times at the Towers Lounge reception. There is absolutely no need to deal with the front desk. The checking in process is more civilized in the lounge, and you can sit down and have a beverage when they sort everything out.

Both times I wasn’t initially upgraded to a junior suite. These suites normally come with a city view. If you prefer to have a sea view and a suite, it is probably going to be an uphill battle, unless you book and pay for one. At check in I just told that I would prefer a suite even if no sea view available. Then, I just had a soda or two in the lounge while they were dealing with the rooms controller.

Junior Suite – City View

As you can see from the video and the photos, these junior suites aren’t the most modern ones. They are not bad by any means, but comparing to other hotels in the area, refurbishment is needed at some not so distant future.

Towers Lounge

As I already pointed out earlier, you can come and do the check in here. I did my check outs in the lounge as well. You can choose whether to have the breakfast in the lounge or in the main restaurant on the ground floor. Not sure if this is a Platinum or Towers benefit. The breakfast in the lounge is adequate but choices in the restaurant are far greater. I always had the breakfast downstairs.

The lounge has some snacks and beverages available throughout the day. There are plenty of places to sit down. Two computers with all-in-one printers (can do scanning as well) are available. I had to scan some documents and was able to hook up the printer to my laptop without a problem.

The evening service consists of some food items, that are almost identical to the afternoon service, plus two basic hot items. They do not have liquor on display but it is an open bar from 6PM to 8PM. The lounge attendant can bring you a list of alcohol they have and mixed drinks they can do. The problem with the evening cocktail hours was that often there was only one attendant working. It must be quite a challenge to replenish the food, clear the tables, take drink orders and do all the other work as well. This wasn’t a problem on a quiet nights but the service was rather slowish when the lounge was busier. All the employees working in the lounge were really nice.

Palm Garden Restaurant – Breakfast

My suggestion would be to go to have the breakfast before all the masses flock there. It can be a challenge to get a table inside after 9AM. I preferred to have the breakfast outside but it can be uncomfortable when the weather is too cold or hot. Also occasionally there were some ants around.

The buffet breakfast is good but not great. They had some hot items available like poached eggs, pancakes, French toast etc. Cook was working on the eggs station preparing omelets. Not sure if he was doing some other dishes as well.

Pool – Palm Garden

There is one pool on the property but the hotel, unlike some others, has direct beach access, so the sea is always nearby. There are plenty of chairs around the pool. Didn’t go to the pool but used the pool bar couple of times. You can order adult beverages and some basic bar food as well. I wasn’t overly satisfied with the pool bar, however. This was partly due to the constant noise from the nearby construction site. The Palm Garden looked wonderful. It was truly a garden like setting.

Fitness Center

One of the better fitness centers. When you sign in remember to request any towels that you might need. The locker room area doesn’t have any. Supposedly there had been few taken as the fitness center is open for paid visits as well. They have headphones available if you want to watch TV while working on the cardio machines.

Remember that in the United Arab Emirates you are supposed to wear a towel all the time when in the locker room and in the sauna. This is due to the local customs.

Transportation

Taxis are very cheap in Dubai and the drivers normally know their way around. Just make sure that you are using a public taxi.

Conclusion

I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again if the price is right. If you are looking for the most modern hotel and a great pool area, this hotel isn’t probably for you. It is great if you like hanging around in the palm garden and by the real beach. The area around the hotel is very pedestrian friendly, unlike some other surroundings in Dubai.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:45 pm

... is a Starbucks, which doesn’t offer free wireless, ...
Last time I was there (July, I think) when I asked about the wifi they gave me a small piece of paper with login credentials.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Here's the review from my stays at this hotel in October and December. You can find the photos (86) and the video of the suite I had at http://bit.ly/jumshe.

Stayed at this Sheraton resort twice; once in October and another time in December. Both times my stay was for several days using free resort nights awards from Starwood’s summer promotion. Sheraton was the only participating resort when it came to redeeming the free nights in Dubai.

Overall this is a fine resort but doesn’t quite live up to the official five star rating. It is a solid four star hotel, however. Apparently, they do quite a bit of business through tour companies. There were lots of Russians and quite a few Swedes and Finns. At least TUI has this property sold through various “package” travel agencies in Europe.

The hotel is located on the far end of the Jumeirah Beach Walk. This rather long street is full of restaurants and has some shops as well. On the other side of the road from the Sheraton is a Starbucks, which doesn’t offer free wireless, and a Thai restaurant.

Check in

As a Starwood Preferred Guests Platinum member, I decided to check in both times at the Towers Lounge reception. There is absolutely no need to deal with the front desk. The checking in process is more civilized in the lounge, and you can sit down and have a beverage when they sort everything out.

Both times I wasn’t initially upgraded to a junior suite. These suites normally come with a city view. If you prefer to have a sea view and a suite, it is probably going to be an uphill battle, unless you book and pay for one. At check in I just told that I would prefer a suite even if no sea view available. Then, I just had a soda or two in the lounge while they were dealing with the rooms controller.

Junior Suite – City View

As you can see from the video and the photos, these junior suites aren’t the most modern ones. They are not bad by any means, but comparing to other hotels in the area, refurbishment is needed at some not so distant future.

Towers Lounge

As I already pointed out earlier, you can come and do the check in here. I did my check outs in the lounge as well. You can choose whether to have the breakfast in the lounge or in the main restaurant on the ground floor. Not sure if this is a Platinum or Towers benefit. The breakfast in the lounge is adequate but choices in the restaurant are far greater. I always had the breakfast downstairs.

The lounge has some snacks and beverages available throughout the day. There are plenty of places to sit down. Two computers with all-in-one printers (can do scanning as well) are available. I had to scan some documents and was able to hook up the printer to my laptop without a problem.

The evening service consists of some food items, that are almost identical to the afternoon service, plus two basic hot items. They do not have liquor on display but it is an open bar from 6PM to 8PM. The lounge attendant can bring you a list of alcohol they have and mixed drinks they can do. The problem with the evening cocktail hours was that often there was only one attendant working. It must be quite a challenge to replenish the food, clear the tables, take drink orders and do all the other work as well. This wasn’t a problem on a quiet nights but the service was rather slowish when the lounge was busier. All the employees working in the lounge were really nice.

Palm Garden Restaurant – Breakfast

My suggestion would be to go to have the breakfast before all the masses flock there. It can be a challenge to get a table inside after 9AM. I preferred to have the breakfast outside but it can be uncomfortable when the weather is too cold or hot. Also occasionally there were some ants around.

The buffet breakfast is good but not great. They had some hot items available like poached eggs, pancakes, French toast etc. Cook was working on the eggs station preparing omelets. Not sure if he was doing some other dishes as well.

Pool – Palm Garden

There is one pool on the property but the hotel, unlike some others, has direct beach access, so the sea is always nearby. There are plenty of chairs around the pool. Didn’t go to the pool but used the pool bar couple of times. You can order adult beverages and some basic bar food as well. I wasn’t overly satisfied with the pool bar, however. This was partly due to the constant noise from the nearby construction site. The Palm Garden looked wonderful. It was truly a garden like setting.

Fitness Center

One of the better fitness centers. When you sign in remember to request any towels that you might need. The locker room area doesn’t have any. Supposedly there had been few taken as the fitness center is open for paid visits as well. They have headphones available if you want to watch TV while working on the cardio machines.

Remember that in the United Arab Emirates you are supposed to wear a towel all the time when in the locker room and in the sauna. This is due to the local customs.

Transportation

Taxis are very cheap in Dubai and the drivers normally know their way around. Just make sure that you are using a public taxi.

Conclusion

I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again if the price is right. If you are looking for the most modern hotel and a great pool area, this hotel isn’t probably for you. It is great if you like hanging around in the palm garden and by the real beach. The area around the hotel is very pedestrian friendly, unlike some other surroundings in Dubai.
Thanks, this was a great detailed review and very helpful. I was considering using my Plat requal 35% gift here - but after your review, I don't think it'll be worth it. Maybe I'll save up and try the GH. But I hate to burn 65,000 points!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks, this was a great detailed review and very helpful. I was considering using my Plat requal 35% gift here - but after your review, I don't think it'll be worth it. Maybe I'll save up and try the GH. But I hate to burn 65,000 points!
The GH is amazing and remember you can buy 20k spg points a year. Wait for the 20 % off nad you can get them for 2.7 cpp.

GH is the best SPG property outside of Al Maha in Dubai, but that is a cat 7 ultra luxury resort.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Perfect stay.

I just spent 5 nights at Sheraton JUMEIRAH BEACH RESORT, and last year stayed at GH, for sure i would stay at JBR again, because of LOCATION! I want access to the beach and now the waterfront development of the surrounding area has been finished its the BEST location. Yes the hotel is tired but again a solid 4* resort holtju2 posted.
I booked two rooms on points and both were upgraded to sea view and my room was a suite. The hotel is being booked by tour groups so shop around for a good price.
Staff was great and NITESH CHADHA, the guest manager made sure everything was perfect. Email him before you arrive to make sure he takes care of you as a platinum guest. Since the hotel has a lot of tour groups upgrades should be easy.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:50 am

You do know that you can use the le meriden mina seychai facilities which is on the beach right as a GH guest?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by schley
You do know that you can use the le meriden mina seychai facilities which is on the beach right as a GH guest?
It's actually Le Royal Meridien. the one you are referencing is another Meridien in the area.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
In Junior Suite is there a proper desk and normal chair with back in the living room? Based on the pictures from this review it seems there is only kind of make up chair and desk in the bedroom.

That would be strange as normal standard room seems to have a proper, normal desk and chair with back.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Are there cheaper alternatives than a cab to get to this hotel? Shuttle service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.