Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Roll call: Marriott brand properties WITHOUT desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjcewl1284
USA

California

* Beverly Hills Marriott
* SFO Airport Marriott (some rooms have desks; others don't)

Florida

* Renaissance Boca Raton (most rooms also without dressers)
* North Ft. Lauderdale Marriott (also, 2 drawers are the size of desk drawers, not chest drawers)

Georgia

* Atlanta Marriott Marquis

Illinois

* Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile
* Renaissance Chicago Downtown
* Residence Inn Chicago Downtown (xx07 & xx19 rooms definitely do not have desks; rooms xx14 do)

Indiana
*Residence Inn Ft. Wayne (front desk says some studios & 1BR's still have desks, but the 2BR/2BA suites do not.

Oklahoma

* Oklahoma City Marriott Waterford

Missouri

* St. Louis Marriott Grand

New Jersey

* EWR Marriott (see post)

New York

* Buffalo Marriott
* Residence Inn New York Manhattan Times Square

North Carolina

* Charlotte City Center Marriott (see post #28)
* Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley (also no luggage rack; no storage)

Texas

* IAH Marriott

Canada

* Calgary Marriott

Germany

* Stuttgart Marriott (some have them; some don't - might be only exec level rooms that have them)

England/United Kingdom

* London County Hall Marriott (newly refurbished rooms only)

Japan

* Courtyard Tokyo Station

Mexico

*Puebla Marriott (Newer side building)

Netherlands

* Amsterdam Marriott (some rooms have desks; some rooms don't - you'll need to request one w/ desk)

Puerto Rico

* San Juan La Concha (quite a few rooms don't have desks)

South Korea

* Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Based on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ott-rooms.html

I suggested we start a thread re: Marriott brand properties that do NOT have desks, so FTers will know & can decide whether to stay at a different property.

So if you've stayed at a Marriott (any brand) property that has eliminated having a desk in the room, please name the property & date you know the information is true.

This thread is not to discuss the policy (the discussion re: that can take place in the link above), but to list the property & the date you know it's true so others for whom a desk is important will know in advance if one is available.

Cheers.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Chicago MARRIOTT Magnificent Mile, "renovated rooms" (only a few floors so far), no desks, luggage racks, bench against a wall instead of a couch. I actually swapped out of a renovated room preferring the old style with a couch and desk, forfeiting a much needed room refrigerator and updated bathroom in the process!

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 23, 2015 at 8:44 am Reason: omitted full name of hotel
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by joshua362
Chicago Magnificent Mile, "renovated rooms" (only a few floors so far), no desks, luggage racks, bench against a wall instead of a couch. I actually swapped out of a renovated room preferring the old style with a couch and desk, forfeiting a much needed room refrigerator and updated bathroom in the process!
W.T.F.? And that's a business hotel in a business district!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
W.T.F.? And that's a business hotel in a business district!
yeah, and they made a big deal that I was getting one as an "upgrade" for being LTP! (the promptly ignored several requests for some sort of suite over the 4th of July weekend. The place was crawling with tourists, high school kids in academic competition and deadheads - very disappointed on all accounts - no F&B voucher, no weekend breakfast..)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Chicago Magnificent Mile, "renovated rooms" (only a few floors so far), no desks, luggage racks, bench against a wall instead of a couch. I actually swapped out of a renovated room preferring the old style with a couch and desk, forfeiting a much needed room refrigerator and updated bathroom in the process!
Just to clarify, was this the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile or the Chicago Courtyard Magnificent Mile?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Stuttgart Marriott (Germany) has no desk in it's renovated rooms. Since it's been some time since I noticed that the renovation should be finished by now, so there should be no more old rooms that still had the desk...

All other renovated properties in Germany I have been to (Renaissance Hamburg and Dusseldorf as well as the Berlin and Frankfurt Marriott come to my mind) still have desks.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Beverly Hills Marriott. Just converted to a FS Marriott so it is renovated without desks.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Does it makes sense to create a wiki in this thread for ease of checking specific properties when booking? Organized sort of like the Weekend lounge thread?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Does it makes sense to create a wiki in this thread for ease of checking specific properties when booking? Organized sort of like the Weekend lounge thread?
Not a bad idea. Anyone with 90 posts/90 days on FT can edit a wiki. They can post here and/or update the wiki. If they do both, then the thread will get bumped with new posts. If it's wiki only (it's not worth making a sticky I don't think), the thread will drop.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Just added Renaissance Chicago Downtown to the list. I believe room renovations are still going on, so for the time being, you can still snag a desk in an old room.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler
Just to clarify, was this the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile or the Chicago Courtyard Magnificent Mile?
My bad, the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile !

Is it safe to say that any renovated room this point forward is sans desk? We might be beating a dead horse here, they ain't coming back no matter how much people complain...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Is it safe to say that any renovated room this point forward is sans desk? We might be beating a dead horse here, they ain't coming back no matter how much people complain...
If enough people complain TO THE PROPERTY then they may come back. And if the property sees a decrease in bookings they just might listen a bit closer. Having the list will help us decide which place to choose if a desk is important.

Also suggest those that find the desk missing to post on Trip Advisor as well. Unfortunately FT is a small population and a lot more people, including property management, see TA reviews.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

In the idiots design thread, some FTers have reported that at certain properties management is bringing back some type of desk due to complaints so I wouldn't say it's a dead horse/not coming back.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If enough people complain TO THE PROPERTY then they may come back. And if the property sees a decrease in bookings they just might listen a bit closer. Having the list will help us decide which place to choose if a desk is important.

Also suggest those that find the desk missing to post on Trip Advisor as well. Unfortunately FT is a small population and a lot more people, including property management, see TA reviews.
Agree that the complaints need to go to the property, in person, via property surveys & posting on TripAdvisor.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In the idiots design thread, some FTers have reported that at certain properties management is bringing back some type of desk due to complaints so I wouldn't say it's a dead horse/not coming back
I'd definitely like to believe this, do we have any confirmed reports of actual returned desks or could this be placating lip service by local managers who don't have any say in this corporate decision?

I'm always a cynic but once they've paid for consultants, design, counted on the savings and mass ordered the cheaper replacements, I doubt they are going back. Just like the new horrible airline slim seats.

And when I stayed at the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile's renovated room for a grand total of 6 hours, I don't see where they could possibly squeeze a desk in, two sides of the room had benches built into the wall for sitting and storage.

Do hope I am proven wrong. I wasn't a big user of the desk in a traditional, sit down manner but it was a nice focal point to charge, place and retrieve "valuables" once you removed all the advertising clutter!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Thanks for letting us know. The hotel is now off my list. It might have a nice CL, but the nearby SHS has better views and desks in the room.

I guess Marriott is moving away from being a business hotel chain and trying to be a Millennial hotel chain. Who knew there was more money in Millennials than in business travel? I guess Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood and Holiday Inn will be the only business hotel chains left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.