Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Becoming the Marriott Addis later this year:

https://www.thereporterethiopia.com/...marriott-addis

Thanks for the update, btw.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Holy smokes, this SHERATON is... a CATEGORY SEVEN??

I know the state of Addis' hotel market is pretty terrible for consumers (high prices, poor quality) but might that make this the highest category Sheraton in the entire global portfolio?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Bonaventure

I know the state of Addis' hotel market is pretty terrible for consumers (high prices, poor quality) but might that make this the highest category Sheraton in the entire global portfolio?
I know, shocking, right? It's considered the top Sheraton in the world and is part of the Luxury Collection. We stayed there a few months ago. It's a very grand hotel, albeit with dated decor. Rates were very high when we were there. There are a lot of new properties under construction that hopefully provide competition including a massive hotel at the airport and a Four Points.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now that it's a luxury collection property, does it still have a lounge? When I googled the website & clicked on rooms it didn't mention a lounge. If anyone knows, please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:31 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Now that it's a luxury collection property, does it still have a lounge? When I googled the website & clicked on rooms it didn't mention a lounge. If anyone knows, please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Hi Sharon. Here now and yes lounge is still open, well it was 20 minutes ago ....
ill maybe get the new hours as think those have changed
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bonaventure

it's part of luxury collection folio.

the 'real' sheraton that sit on category 7 are, for example, sheraton in maldives; cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort in italy.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Beano HK

Hi Sharon. Here now and yes lounge is still open, well it was 20 minutes ago ....
ill maybe get the new hours as think those have changed
Thanks. Will update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:37 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Lounge opening times...

Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:13 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I had requested for a layover a day rate from this hotel. Unfortunately the rate was just as high as a nightly late, so I declined. However, in the process, I discovered that they offer for 12 USD full day pool access. I did not in the end try this, but I understand that they have nice showers that can be used. So, if you have a layover and are mostly interested in the shower aspect or some chilling time in the sun, check this place out.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thinking about staying here but might try the new Hyatt Regency instead which is half the price $160 USD vs $310 USD for nights I'm looking. Anyone have experience comparing the 2?

For me, I like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants and get local flavor easily by foot. Some up the comments up thread about park and far away make me hesitant.

thanks
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SHLTP
For me, I like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants and get local flavor easily by foot.
I'd be highly cautious about walking in Addis. It wasn't safe from the Sheraton. My husband and niece went out from the Sheraton, leaving their phones, passports and extra money in the room safe. Groups of 3 or 4 people tried valiantly to get their money. There were several such groups. They returned to the hotel quickly, having purchased none of the souvenirs they wanted.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'd be highly cautious about walking in Addis. It wasn't safe from the Sheraton. My husband and niece went out from the Sheraton, leaving their phones, passports and extra money in the room safe. Groups of 3 or 4 people tried valiantly to get their money. There were several such groups. They returned to the hotel quickly, having purchased none of the souvenirs they wanted.
thank you for the warning. I didn't realize it was so dangerous there
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Just spent three nights here and it remains a solid option for Addis.

As a Titanium, was upgraded from a base room to a nice (albeit somewhat worn) Deluxe Suite at check-in. This was large, with a completely separate working/sitting area and balcony overlooking the hotel's fountains, a bathroom with both tub and walk-in shower, and a second toilet in the entrance hallway. Everything was clean, though clearly in need of a refurbishment.

The free breakfast in the exec lounge was more than adequate, with a reasonable spread of cold items, rather poor croissants (so glad to be back in the Francophone part of the continent as I write this), and an excellent egg station. WiFi was excellent; I tested it at 50mbps down / 10mbps up, and had no problems with video calls. (Now just don't get me started on the utterly dysfunctional state of Ethiopia's mobile network...the licensing liberalisation can't happen soon enough!)

Service was uniformly excellent. The pool and spa remain at a high standard. I wouldn't stay here on my own money given the rates, but as long as your company is paying, it's the best option in town at the moment.
unclepants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.