Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 15, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Explorist; QR Gold
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Becoming the Marriott Addis later this year:

https://www.thereporterethiopia.com/...marriott-addis

Thanks for the update, btw.
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Holy smokes, this SHERATON is... a CATEGORY SEVEN??

I know the state of Addis' hotel market is pretty terrible for consumers (high prices, poor quality) but might that make this the highest category Sheraton in the entire global portfolio?
Old Jan 15, 19, 9:06 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post

I know the state of Addis' hotel market is pretty terrible for consumers (high prices, poor quality) but might that make this the highest category Sheraton in the entire global portfolio?
I know, shocking, right? It's considered the top Sheraton in the world and is part of the Luxury Collection. We stayed there a few months ago. It's a very grand hotel, albeit with dated decor. Rates were very high when we were there. There are a lot of new properties under construction that hopefully provide competition including a massive hotel at the airport and a Four Points.
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now that it's a luxury collection property, does it still have a lounge? When I googled the website & clicked on rooms it didn't mention a lounge. If anyone knows, please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:31 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Now that it's a luxury collection property, does it still have a lounge? When I googled the website & clicked on rooms it didn't mention a lounge. If anyone knows, please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Hi Sharon. Here now and yes lounge is still open, well it was 20 minutes ago ....
ill maybe get the new hours as think those have changed
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Explorist; QR Gold
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post

it's part of luxury collection folio.

the 'real' sheraton that sit on category 7 are, for example, sheraton in maldives; cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort in italy.
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Beano HK View Post

Hi Sharon. Here now and yes lounge is still open, well it was 20 minutes ago ....
ill maybe get the new hours as think those have changed
Thanks. Will update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:37 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Lounge opening times...

Old Apr 21, 19, 12:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LH SEN**, MR LT Platinum Premier
I had requested for a layover a day rate from this hotel. Unfortunately the rate was just as high as a nightly late, so I declined. However, in the process, I discovered that they offer for 12 USD full day pool access. I did not in the end try this, but I understand that they have nice showers that can be used. So, if you have a layover and are mostly interested in the shower aspect or some chilling time in the sun, check this place out.
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thinking about staying here but might try the new Hyatt Regency instead which is half the price $160 USD vs $310 USD for nights I'm looking. Anyone have experience comparing the 2?

For me, I like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants and get local flavor easily by foot. Some up the comments up thread about park and far away make me hesitant.

thanks
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:14 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
For me, I like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants and get local flavor easily by foot.
I'd be highly cautious about walking in Addis. It wasn't safe from the Sheraton. My husband and niece went out from the Sheraton, leaving their phones, passports and extra money in the room safe. Groups of 3 or 4 people tried valiantly to get their money. There were several such groups. They returned to the hotel quickly, having purchased none of the souvenirs they wanted.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'd be highly cautious about walking in Addis. It wasn't safe from the Sheraton. My husband and niece went out from the Sheraton, leaving their phones, passports and extra money in the room safe. Groups of 3 or 4 people tried valiantly to get their money. There were several such groups. They returned to the hotel quickly, having purchased none of the souvenirs they wanted.
thank you for the warning. I didn't realize it was so dangerous there