Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Seclusion Day Information: March 21, 2015 and March 9, 2016

Nyepi, known as the Day of Silence, marks the celebration of the Balinese New Year in the Hindu Lunar calendar. A spectacular procedure of ceremonies, parades of great bamboo monsters, and fireworks occur on the Eve of Nyepi, followed by a day of total silence and seclusion. The community strongly believes that if the island is silent and dark, the bad spirits will leave and the new year will start in peace. During Nyepi, from 6am until 6am the next day, the island stops. Nobody is allowed in the streets, use of electricity is restricted, and the international airport is closed.

In 2015, Nyepi will fall on Saturday, March 21 and Wednesday, March 9 in 2016. Please note that check-in and check-out will not be possible on Nyepi Day, and Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) will be closed. Some of the resort facilities will operate as usual; however, there will be no transportation services to and from the resort, and televisions will not be available. Lights will be dimmed inside and there will be no outdoor lighting. Our pools and garden areas will still be accessible except for the beach. Only indoor seating will be available at Arwana Restaurant. Cascade Bar and Sapphire bar will close at 6pm. Kul Kul Bar will remain closed.

We kindly invite you to respect this sacred day and observe these restrictions. Normal activity in Bali will resume at 6am on Sunday, March 22, 2015 and Thursday, March 10 in 2016.

Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner: December 31, 2015

On December 31, 2015, there is a compulsory New Years Eve dinner for all guests staying over this date. Rate starts from 250 USD per adult and 85 USD per child (6 to 12 years of age). Checkouts on December 31, 2015 are not permitted.

Guests are required to pay the additional charges directly to the hotel upon arrival. The hotel will contact guests prior to arrival regarding the mandatory charges and to provide additional information.

Print Wikipost

The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not forget the temple on the property and the Bali style staff uniforms.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget the temple on the property and the Bali style staff uniforms.
You're quite right, but one can find fault with everything or embrace the experince and be happy for the experience.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
What is best way to get from airport to hotel? Assume booking car via hotel will be much more expensive than other options. Should I just get a pre-paid taxi at airport?
How long is it from airport to hotel? Land at 10.25 PM so quite late
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
The Laguna Resort & Spa Nusa Dua Bali

Stay Period - 2010.6.23 ~ 2010.6.28
Room - Tropical Garden View

- Normal room condition (Required renovation)
- Cheap and delicious food
- There is an artificial waterfall and sandy beach to the pool
- There is a long lagoon pool
- please note Wired Internet and wireless Internet fares are different
- Starwood Privilege Card (F&B card) is available ^

Starwood Privilege Card
The fee varies by country. Valid for 1 year

Approximately 100 photos and the reviews written in Korean
To see the reviews you need a very fast internet speeds

The Laguna Resort & Spa Nusa Dua Bali - Tropical Garden View

Last edited by StationaryTraveller; Feb 11, 2012 at 12:32 am
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by StationaryTraveller
The Laguna Resort & Spa Nusa Dua Bali

Stay Period - 2010.6.23 ~ 2010.6.28
Room - Tropical Garden View
StationaryTraveller:

Considering that you stayed at both The Laguna as well as the Westin Nusa Dua, how would you compare the two?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:40 pm

Does anyone have feedback on a more recent stay? I'm considering this hotel for a trip in January.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BFrankley
Does anyone have feedback on a more recent stay? I'm considering this hotel for a trip in January.
Not that I can offer it, but what kind of a feedback are you looking for? In general, I would avoid Nusa Dua, unless you absolutely must stay at an SPG property. If your only real desire to stay there is because of award redemptions, the Laguna is a Category 5, which I find is a waste of points.

Of SPG's current offerings (St. Regis, Westin, Laguna, and W) none are "must" stays in Bali.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by BFrankley
My stay was in June. What do you want to know?

1. Nusa Dua is kinda out of the way - so I probably won't stay here again
2. The Westin and Laguna are literally next to each other and there's a small path/passage that connects the two
3. So if you are racking up stays to requalify - yes you can do alternate nights at either - you can even leave your luggage with one or the other and pack a night bag - the staff are used to it
4. I found the Westin newer and more contemporary while I found the Laguna grander but older and in need of refurbishment. I'm not one for traditional architecture and the "authentic experience" - if you want that don't stay SPG go to some balinese villa somewhere in Ubud
5. I also stayed at the W which was very "W"-like but not much else. At least it was nearer to the food. It's also ~ double the price.
6. The Westin and Laguna share the same beach - fairly nice sand, easy to swim. The W is a surfing area - not for swimming. Not for young kids.
7. Since your trip is in Jan, why not check out the open-by-then Sheraton Kuta? Right in the smack of town. Not sure of Le M Jimbaran will be open by then but that's an option too. I have to say I have always stayed clear of these areas because of 2002 and 2005. But that's me.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, CX DM, A3 Gold
Could I check what's the latest policy on PLTs choosing breakfast as their amenity? Is it full-buffet breakfast or continental only?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
Review as of Feb 2013

I spent three nights at the Laguna and it's a solid property. Platinum's are offered points or full buffet breakfast. As a lifetime gold they also gave me a 60 minute massage (good for two people) which I thought was a great benefit.

I was upgraded to a newly renovated "studio room" which was clean, modern and comfortable. The grounds are well taken care of and the staff is very good.

The resort is older so if you expect a new five star resort you should head to the St. Regis. I paid ~150 USD per night and would consider it an exceptional value for the price (I've stayed at 1* FourPoints for more).

For those who like a little more local flavor and really want a bang for the buck experience, I'd recommend the Sheraton on Lombock. It's a steal at ~80 USD per night and I've been upgraded to a suite every-time I've been. It's also close to a lot of local flavor (restaurants and shopping). However, there aren't clubs or other similar types of entertainment.

Anyway, the Laguna is a solid property and I'd certainly return if in Bali (the spa is very good btw, and worth the cost over the local providers).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Has anybody tried booking the Hibiscus Villa? I'm debating between this or the Marvelous one bedroom villa at the W.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:34 am

just got back from this property;
here is my view:

Rooms are very outdated and in need of a renovation

property itself and beach are very nice

Service is VERY bad. No upgrade to suite as a platinum even though suites for sale. Even though hotel not full, had to wait 3 hours for a room at check-in. Pretty unacceptable

Wife got sick after eating hotel food, no mercy from staff. Just denial. Not helpful.

Sent complaint to hotel, lets see what happens.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
I recently spent 4 nights here and enjoyed my stay. I booked a Deluxe studio room and enjoyed its spaciousness and large bathroom. We could see a sliver of the ocean but otherwise had a garden view from our top floor. Service was fine, no complaints. We had breakfasts and a few dinners on site and the breakfasts were fine but the dinners were bland and unexceptional.

There is a good happy hour every evening for two hours, and we enjoyed some very good cocktails made by friendly staff. Probably our highlight was going for a drink at the King Cole Bar at St. Regis -- wow, that's a posh property. I really liked the bar, but dinner at Boneka was a huge disappointment. The ambiance was awful, partly because of children running around like it was a playground. Service was very good, the food was nothing special. We also had dinner one night at the Westin and the menu was very similar to that of the Laguna.

The ocean tide change is quite dramatic. When we were there (in early Sept.), swimming essentially ended by 2pm, and by 5pm the waterline was hundreds of meters away from the beach. The many pools are there though for late afternoon swimming.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm a bit surprised by your comments on the Laguna restaurants.

When I was there, I tried their local fine dining restaurant, including Balinese music. I had a good dinner with good wine.

I also tried the fish restaurant by the beach twice, once on the beach and once under
cover. It was good but simple fresh fish, which was what I wanted. Both seemed expensive for Bali but not for hotel food.

Breakfast seemed sometimes like a zoo with staff struggling to remove dirty dishes and replace empty food trays. The buffet seemed to be more quantity than quality IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
FYI--I reached out to The Laguna to see if it's possible to confirm an upgrade prior to arrival when booking with points, here's what I got back:
JMGRIFFIN: I see that I can book the "Deluxe garden view: King Bed" room for 12,000 Starpoints per night during these dates. If booked, can you advise if it would be possible to pay cash to receive an upgrade to a Suite, "Hibiscus Villa" or "Pool Villa"?

LAGUNA: Warmest greetings from The Laguna Resort & Spa. Glad to hear that your will have your upcoming holiday in our resort. Referring the Starpoints Redeem Stay, you may log on at www.spg.com for the booking.

Pleased to offer the upgrade with an additional charge as follow :
  • Deluxe Garden View upgrade to Executive Suite
    USD 125 +21% per night
  • Deluxe Garden View upgrade to Lagoon Access Suite
    USD 165 +21% per night
  • Deluxe Garden View upgrade to Hibiscus Villa
    USD 300 +21% per night
  • Deluxe Garden View upgrade to One Bedroom Pool Villa
    USD 350 +21% per night

We wish above arrangement meet to your requirement. Looking forward for your booking.

JMGRIFFIN: Thank you for the prompt reply! Those rates are very high! Is there any possibility to get a better rate? For example I see that I could book the Hibiscus Villa for $331 for those same dates so booking with points and then doing upgrade of $300/night doesn't make much sense. An upgrade rate of $100/night might be more reasonable?

LAGUNA: Understand that you find Hibiscus Villa rate at USD 331 +21% per night by direct booking. Kindly be informed that this rate is prepaid package non cancellable, non refundable and non amendable. However the rate that we offer you for upgrade USD 300 +21% is flexible cancellation. As good gesture, we are pleased to offer you better rate at USD 275 +21% per night for Hibiscus Villa.

JMGRIFFIN: Thanks for the offer but I'm afraid that is still too high. Are there any opportunities to book the Hibiscus Villa, Pool Villa or Suites using 100% points? For example instead of 12,000 points/night for a Deluxe Garden View is it possible to spend maybe 24,000 or even 36,000 points/night for the Suite/Villa?

LAGUNA: Certainly, you may use your starpoints for upgrade to Hibiscus Villa. Once you confirmed the Deluxe Garden booking 12,000 starpoints, then we will add 24,000 starpoints per night for upgrade to Hibiscus Villa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.