Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Seclusion Day Information: March 21, 2015 and March 9, 2016

Nyepi, known as the “Day of Silence,” marks the celebration of the Balinese New Year in the Hindu Lunar calendar. A spectacular procedure of ceremonies, parades of great bamboo monsters, and fireworks occur on the Eve of Nyepi, followed by a day of total silence and seclusion. The community strongly believes that if the island is silent and dark, the bad spirits will leave and the new year will start in peace. During Nyepi, from 6am until 6am the next day, the island stops. Nobody is allowed in the streets, use of electricity is restricted, and the international airport is closed.

In 2015, Nyepi will fall on Saturday, March 21 and Wednesday, March 9 in 2016. Please note that check-in and check-out will not be possible on Nyepi Day, and Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) will be closed. Some of the resort facilities will operate as usual; however, there will be no transportation services to and from the resort, and televisions will not be available. Lights will be dimmed inside and there will be no outdoor lighting. Our pools and garden areas will still be accessible except for the beach. Only indoor seating will be available at Arwana Restaurant. Cascade Bar and Sapphire bar will close at 6pm. Kul Kul Bar will remain closed.

We kindly invite you to respect this sacred day and observe these restrictions. Normal activity in Bali will resume at 6am on Sunday, March 22, 2015 and Thursday, March 10 in 2016.

Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner: December 31, 2015

On December 31, 2015, there is a compulsory New Year’s Eve dinner for all guests staying over this date. Rate starts from 250 USD per adult and 85 USD per child (6 to 12 years of age). Checkouts on December 31, 2015 are not permitted.

Guests are required to pay the additional charges directly to the hotel upon arrival. The hotel will contact guests prior to arrival regarding the mandatory charges and to provide additional information.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:14 pm

The laguna, luxury collection Nusa Dua, Bali Q

My wife and I are planning to go to Bali in Sep for 5 nights using points. I am platinum Elite for 2020 and having been thoroughly confused on Marriott’s restrictions. I am trying to figure out what benefits a PE member gets at that resort.

our travel has been narrowed down between that resort and the ritz...

what say you, who have visited, what place is best? Things to consider?

thank you!!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a fairly large thread on the Laguna that was started back in the SPG days.

I wouldn't expect it to be as luxurious as the RC as they're different categories and price points.

I found the Laguna to be an interesting compromise in that it's a chain hotel that reflects local Bali style, has a temple/shrine right on the grounds, has the swim up rooms and suites, has lots of F&B outlets, including some on the beach, has the distinctive sun beds or whatever you want to call them (for rent), is walkable to the modern mall, although the hotel also provides a shuttle bus,......For me, it was a good choice.

I would expect Plat to get an upgrade if available (or if SNAs are confirmed) and whatever the current Bonvoy breakfast rule says. It's a resort, so no one would be entitled to guaranteed late checkout unless an Ambassador Your24 request has been approved.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
This is the thread which MSP is referring to;

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by girlsmom4
Considering booking a villa at the Laguna for a few days in late February. Wondering if anyone can share their experiences in the villas. Looks lovely from the pictures but want to know the real scoop. Thanks!
Bumping this request. Interested in the villas but seemingly no actual review/experience on here. I get the point about it being sort of separate from main resort, but I'm happy with that. Privacy, size and private pool is key for me.

​​​​​​Also any review of the top main resort suite; the 2bed Grande Lagoon Suite?

Ta

Last edited by kryten22uk; Jan 3, 2021 at 2:49 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As I remarked in the older thread, IIRC, the main hotel building has some big suites at the far end looking toward the beach. There's also a separate building next to the main building that had only big suites, with most or all looking toward the beach. I think this building had an attractive private pool. However, there were also some new "villas" that seemed to be condo-like townhomes to the side of the hotel's main entrance in what I didn't think was at all an attractive location, nor would I describe them as true luxury. The townhomes might be a vacation club type operation on a corner of the hotel grounds.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I remarked in the older thread, IIRC, the main hotel building has some big suites at the far end looking toward the beach. There's also a separate building next to the main building that had only big suites, with most or all looking toward the beach. I think this building had an attractive private pool. However, there were also some new "villas" that seemed to be condo-like townhomes to the side of the hotel's main entrance in what I didn't think was at all an attractive location, nor would I describe them as true luxury. The townhomes might be a vacation club type operation on a corner of the hotel grounds.
Yes The Grande Lagoon Suite is on the ends of the main building facing the beach. The separate private building on the beach, was commented on earlier as being the owners private residences.

Not sure what the townhouses you saw were, but they aren't the Villas. Maybe they are some other vacation club thing as you say. The "Villas" are individually spaced, and ground-floor only, each with private grounds and pool.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
I've got a 4-night stay in Nusa Dua in mid-June, and have booked the Laguna, RC and am considering the St Regis too.

Does anyone know for sure if the Laguna's refurbishment (supposedly begun in Nov 2021) has actually been completed? Nothing on the hotel's web page although I've seen a couple of press releases including in the online Jakarta Post that the refurb was to be completed by 2 May; the JP article was dated 11 Apr, so I can only presume that 2 May was a reasonably hard date, but... And what was the extent/focus of the upgrading/refreshment?
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I’m interested too …

have all the rooms been renewed?

what about acoustic insulation between rooms ?

I had a stay there years ago and had to change room 2 times due to the screaming kids from the near rooms and / or the running kids from the above rooms …

One of the worst hotel (togheter with the JW Marriott Khao Lak) about that …
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:45 pm

The hotel informed me that Phase 2 of the renovation is in progress. What was reported in JP back in April about the imminent completion of refurbishment in May was apparently only about Phase 1, a fact that the JP article seemed to have neglected. Anyways, the hotel said that Phase 2 is ongoing until 6 September. Guess they're pushing to complete works before the G20 Summit in November. Plus, next year 2023 Indonesia is scheduled to host the ASEAN Summits; the last time 2011, all the major meetings were held in Bali and the Laguna and Westin did in fact host several delegations then.

As to the possible noise/disruption, the usual platitudes/assurances from the hotel, but nothing that I can really take to the bank. Although feedback on Tripadvisor (apparently during Phase 1 works) seem assuring; hopefully the reviews were not canned.

We decided to plump for the Laguna over the RC, as my wife preferred the accessibility of the nearby eateries in "downtown" Nusa Dua.

Edit for clarification: according to the hotel, the map below is for Phase 2.

Screenshot of PDF map provided by hotel June 2022
Dav77 and Hawwk like this.

Last edited by dannybhoy; Jun 9, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:51 am
soy

Programs: various
Anyone have an email contact for the Laguna ?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Anyone have an email contact for the Laguna ?
For generic reservations, this is current:

[email protected]
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
For generic reservations, this is current:

[email protected]
Thanks. Added to wiki.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:01 am

I can confirm that even on a Sunday (today 12 June afternoon local), one can hear some knocking and a fair bit of grinding noise from the affected areas notably the block of rooms/suites in Phase 2 (close to the beach) and presumably also from the path running from the villas parallel to the border with Westin (the path is being resurfaced and is currently “dilarang masuk” no entry); even as late as 8-ish PM on a Saturday, there were workers still resurfacing the path, although the works were not close to accommodations and did not involve loud machinery.

Personally, at the main swimming pool, the noise from the affected areas is certainly well within tolerances. However, I’m sure that there will be those who will find it nigh unbearable especially if you’re in a Phase 1 unit adjacent to the Phase 2 works.

All in, I thought we had a good deal. For us, my roll of the dice paid off. Covid-19 shoulder month crowds in a resort under refurb, but inconveniences relating to the refurb not an issue or at the worst minimal for us.

If anything, I thought that the tourist infrastructure in Bali was rusty/unpracticed. From an airport taxi driver that took a wrong turn in the dark close to the hotel, to the more stilted than usual English of various staff (especially to my wife a one-time frequent Bali visitor). I got the impression that everyone here is still warming up from the Covid coma.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Lifetime Platinum, Accor Live Limitless Gold
Any recent update on renovation noise and sharing construction schedule here

I am contemplating a stay at the Laguna and enquired about the renovations, as some of the prior reviews indicated a pretty noisy and less than relaxing situation. The hotel shared with me a map of remaining renovations.

Apparently the guest rooms and suites and the KulKul Bar (by the beach) will be completed by 30 March. All other facilities bar one are already complete. The only remaining renovation after the 30 March (already underway) is the Arwana restaurant (by the beach). This is scheduled to complete by 5 June. The hotel acknowledged there would be some drilling at the Arwana at the beach, but that the beach would be open and they try to minimise noise with the use of walls around the construction.

A link to activities, restaurants, menus and weekly happenings can be found here: https://linktr.ee/thelagunabali

If anyone is visiting the Laguna between now and the end of April, please do share how intrusive the remaining noise is and whether you find the beach usable despite the construction there.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Debls
I am contemplating a stay at the Laguna and enquired about the renovations, as some of the prior reviews indicated a pretty noisy and less than relaxing situation. The hotel shared with me a map of remaining renovations.

Apparently the guest rooms and suites and the KulKul Bar (by the beach) will be completed by 30 March. All other facilities bar one are already complete. The only remaining renovation after the 30 March (already underway) is the Arwana restaurant (by the beach). This is scheduled to complete by 5 June. The hotel acknowledged there would be some drilling at the Arwana at the beach, but that the beach would be open and they try to minimise noise with the use of walls around the construction.

A link to activities, restaurants, menus and weekly happenings can be found here: https://linktr.ee/thelagunabali

If anyone is visiting the Laguna between now and the end of April, please do share how intrusive the remaining noise is and whether you find the beach usable despite the construction there.
I was there last week and the dining venues nearest the beach are still surrounded by construction fencing and noise is audible throughout the resort during daytime hours. Looking over the fence, the structures look mainly done but who knows if they will finish on time. I believe all the rooms are all done and they are quite modern and fresh, it’s just a question of how much noise you can deal with and if the limited dining venues are ok with you. There are obviously many hotels on this strip of beach to walk to, but currently dining at Laguna is fairly limited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.