Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Seclusion Day Information: March 21, 2015 and March 9, 2016

Nyepi, known as the Day of Silence, marks the celebration of the Balinese New Year in the Hindu Lunar calendar. A spectacular procedure of ceremonies, parades of great bamboo monsters, and fireworks occur on the Eve of Nyepi, followed by a day of total silence and seclusion. The community strongly believes that if the island is silent and dark, the bad spirits will leave and the new year will start in peace. During Nyepi, from 6am until 6am the next day, the island stops. Nobody is allowed in the streets, use of electricity is restricted, and the international airport is closed.

In 2015, Nyepi will fall on Saturday, March 21 and Wednesday, March 9 in 2016. Please note that check-in and check-out will not be possible on Nyepi Day, and Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) will be closed. Some of the resort facilities will operate as usual; however, there will be no transportation services to and from the resort, and televisions will not be available. Lights will be dimmed inside and there will be no outdoor lighting. Our pools and garden areas will still be accessible except for the beach. Only indoor seating will be available at Arwana Restaurant. Cascade Bar and Sapphire bar will close at 6pm. Kul Kul Bar will remain closed.

We kindly invite you to respect this sacred day and observe these restrictions. Normal activity in Bali will resume at 6am on Sunday, March 22, 2015 and Thursday, March 10 in 2016.

Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner: December 31, 2015

On December 31, 2015, there is a compulsory New Years Eve dinner for all guests staying over this date. Rate starts from 250 USD per adult and 85 USD per child (6 to 12 years of age). Checkouts on December 31, 2015 are not permitted.

Guests are required to pay the additional charges directly to the hotel upon arrival. The hotel will contact guests prior to arrival regarding the mandatory charges and to provide additional information.

Print Wikipost

The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Currently at this resort. I couldn't find a BRG for standard room, but did get one for an executive suite, garden view.

At check-in, I politely asked if we could have a suite with a better view. Agent checked and said we could upgrade to the next level suite for an extra $200/night, or a villa for $300/night. I presume she just calculated the difference between the rate we are paying and their current rate for the next level suite as it was more than twice as much! Agent said the executive suite, garden view is the highest level they offer to Platinum members for free. Very disappointed especially since it's the exact same suite I was in 3 years ago when I BRGed the lowest standard room rate. Oh well, lesson learned. Book cheapest room possible.

One nice surprise is I received a coupon at check-in for free 60 min Balinese massage for 2 people (valued at 700K IDR/person) for being Lifetime Gold. I received nothing like that 3 yrs ago even though I was LT Gold then too.

The breakfast restaurant (Banyubiru) has been completely renovated and the food selection is outstanding (as it was 3 yrs ago). I love Asian breakfasts! I had to give up the 500 pt Platinum amenity for it, but well worth it.

What was amazing is while we were eating, the restaurant mgr came over and introduced himself. He said "Miss Margarita, we noticed you are a vegetarian. Let me know if we can prepare something special for you". Incredible since he picked us out of the crowd and even looked up my profile. There was so much food I declined his offer, but his gesture was truly impressive and really appreciated. Talk about making me feel like a valued customer. ^^^
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't, but some people prefer the lagoon access rooms to standard suites. When I stayed here, they first gave me a standard Plat upgrade suite that smelled extremely musty as it was on the lowest level and behind lots of foliage, so that even the balcony didn't get much light. I was then moved to a different suite on the opposite side of the building on a higher floor. The second room corrected the mustiness problem (although all my clothes and luggage still smelled strongly from the problem), but didn't seem very different even though I was told that it was of a higher category and not normally given as a Plat upgrade. This new suite got some sunlight and didn't feel like it was in a deep jungle, but didn't have a much better view. In fact, some people might have preferred the leafy jungle version as it felt more local and unique.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back at the resort again. This time no coupon for free massage was offered even though I am LT Plat whereas last time I was LT Gold. However, I simply asked the FDA for it and received a voucher for free one hour massage for 2 people. ^

Also wanted to offer some advice on getting from the airport to the hotel. Prices vary so much and some taxi touts had the nerve to ask for up to 450K IDR (about US$34). I spoke to a lady in the welcome hall and told her I would pay 150K IDR (US$11) and I would also pay for the tollway which is 11K IDR (about $0.80). Taking the tollway saves about 30 mins off the 1 hr trip which is very slow due to congestion. Expected to have to negotiate, but the lady accepted my offer and walked me to the kiosk where I paid my 150K IDR and then I was taken out to a very clean cab and had a nice ride to the hotel.

I've been told that for hotel to airport, Uber is about $5 so will try that for my return. I will also be springing for the tollway just to save time/frustration.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't, but some people prefer the lagoon access rooms to standard suites.
This would be me. I love being able to jump into the pool off of my balcony (which also would happen to have a bucket of chilled beer) at any time of day. Being in a suite means I would have to take the elevator/stairs down carrying my towels, books, phone etc.

Also as a side note, based on my 3+ separate stays at this property, I would say that the "butler service" here is perhaps the least useful of all such I had experienced. Yes they bring you coffee and yes they take your pressings... but they are unable to answer the most basic questions about the resort, let alone the wider Bali area, and would respond with a "please press zero on your phone to the operator and they will help you - IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?"

IIRC, I merely asked about things like whether there were any seafood BBQs happening at the resort or how much the airport transfer was on the hotel car etc - surely the butlers should know about these things and if not be willing to go and find out for the guests and not just parrot the same "IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?" <-- TBH this phrase got quite annoying after a while

Anyway, bottom line, I wouldn't expect much from them. but then again, I'm sure nobody comes to this resort for the butler service anyway so nvm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WS Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Back at the resort again. This time no coupon for free massage was offered even though I am LT Plat whereas last time I was LT Gold. However, I simply asked the FDA for it and received a voucher for free one hour massage for 2 people. ^

Also wanted to offer some advice on getting from the airport to the hotel. Prices vary so much and some taxi touts had the nerve to ask for up to 450K IDR (about US$34). I spoke to a lady in the welcome hall and told her I would pay 150K IDR (US$11) and I would also pay for the tollway which is 11K IDR (about $0.80). Taking the tollway saves about 30 mins off the 1 hr trip which is very slow due to congestion. Expected to have to negotiate, but the lady accepted my offer and walked me to the kiosk where I paid my 150K IDR and then I was taken out to a very clean cab and had a nice ride to the hotel.

I've been told that for hotel to airport, Uber is about $5 so will try that for my return. I will also be springing for the tollway just to save time/frustration.
Thanks for the advice. Will be staying there in January so any update on what else PLT's get at the resort, where to eat around the resort and your Uber experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an update on the cost of Uber from hotel to airport. My friends left around 16:30 and Uber cost was 78K IDR (US$5.85). I left the following day around 13:30 and my Uber cost was 60.5K IDR ($4.50). Once again, I highly recommend splurging for the 11K IDR to take the toll road to the airport. Will save you 30 mins on the trip.

As far as cheap places to eat, I would highly recommend the Cornerstone Deli to the left after you pass the lobby. Entrees are priced at 90K to 120K IDR ($6.75-$9.00) before the 20% Plat discount. This was a steal compared to the other restaurants on the property or next door at the Westin, plus the food was excellent. Tables are set up outside so we dined al fresco. They had a large menu and it sure didn't feel like a deli with things like chicken curry, beef stroganoff, chicken schnitzel, quinoa wraps, etc.

Combined with my 2 free massages, it was a great stay! ^
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaejaez
This would be me. I love being able to jump into the pool off of my balcony (which also would happen to have a bucket of chilled beer) at any time of day. Being in a suite means I would have to take the elevator/stairs down carrying my towels, books, phone etc.

Also as a side note, based on my 3+ separate stays at this property, I would say that the "butler service" here is perhaps the least useful of all such I had experienced. Yes they bring you coffee and yes they take your pressings... but they are unable to answer the most basic questions about the resort, let alone the wider Bali area, and would respond with a "please press zero on your phone to the operator and they will help you - IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?"

IIRC, I merely asked about things like whether there were any seafood BBQs happening at the resort or how much the airport transfer was on the hotel car etc - surely the butlers should know about these things and if not be willing to go and find out for the guests and not just parrot the same "IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?" <-- TBH this phrase got quite annoying after a while

Anyway, bottom line, I wouldn't expect much from them. but then again, I'm sure nobody comes to this resort for the butler service anyway so nvm
My impression is that the butlers don't speak much English or at least aren't confident about understanding and speaking English. They're not concierges; think of them more like "house men" or maids who don't clean.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
When we stay here or Westin we typically visit Bali collection, an outdoor walking area nearby, to eat. Some good restaurants at good value. I find Laguna has better food than Westin, both in taste and price
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:35 pm

Isn't there still free shuttle service to Bali Collection?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
As far as cheap places to eat, I would highly recommend the Cornerstone Deli to the left after you pass the lobby. Entrees are priced at 90K to 120K IDR ($6.75-$9.00) before the 20% Plat discount. This was a steal compared to the other restaurants on the property or next door at the Westin, plus the food was excellent. Tables are set up outside so we dined al fresco. They had a large menu and it sure didn't feel like a deli with things like chicken curry, beef stroganoff, chicken schnitzel, quinoa wraps, etc.
^
I was there in April, and would definitely agree about the Deli. There is some limited indoor seating if youwant aircon, as well as a private room to the side which is good for up to about 12 people.

If you go during happy hour, you can get 2 for 1 drinks from the bar around the corner. They had no problem delivering the drinks to our outdoor table at the deli.

I would say the food at Bali Collection is mostly very mediocre.

Head over to Kayaputi at St. Regis for a real treat, but be prepared to pay western prices. You can check out the menu online.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WS Silver, UA Silver
Here's an update on the cost of Uber from hotel to airport. My friends left around 16:30 and Uber cost was 78K IDR (US$5.85). I left the following day around 13:30 and my Uber cost was 60.5K IDR ($4.50). Once again, I highly recommend splurging for the 11K IDR to take the toll road to the airport. Will save you 30 mins on the trip.

Combined with my 2 free massages, it was a great stay! ^
Thanks for the great info, really appreciate it. Do you use a local SIM card in Bali to be able to use Uber or just the hotels WiFi? Telus roaming for Bali is very expensive.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always manage to get by on hotel wifi. At the Laguna and the Westin next door, you can sign in without a room number, so you'll get wifi even after you check out.

Also, I don't use Uber very often, so I just discovered a new feature (one that I've written to Uber about a few times). You can communicate with the driver via the app! No more unwanted phone calls/texts that incur roaming charges. ^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:11 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I happened to be next door at the GH when I read your post, so I ventured to the Laguna for lunch. Indeed, a great and very reasonable menu. One thing to be aware of is drink pricing -- a 330ml (11oz) bottle of water or a can of coke will be $4. Not unusual for this type of hotel, but surprising given the ridiculously low food prices. I spent more on water and a soft drink than on food.

We also enjoy lunch at the St Regis deli. Main courses (excellent chicken club, satays, or mie goreng) in the 200k IDR range before discount. One oddity in Bali pricing is that some places quote prices all-in (e.g., Laguna, SR), while others are ++ (i.e., taxes/service charge of 21% will be tacked on). IMO, none of the restaurants in Bali Collection are worth writing home about; for an excellent meal, I recommend Bumbu Bali.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Recent stay as a platinum, offered free breakfast for two or Starpoints, pretty standard. No extra benefits aside from a useless 10% off tour discount coupon and a 20% off spa coupon.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
I cant seem to wrap my head around this resort. Its on offer for 12k points per night this December. That seems ridiculously low for a LC property. On the flip side, the reviews - here and elsewhere - seem to be quite good. And the pictures seem rather average, at best. What am I missing? Is this place a jaw dropper, or just a really good resort at value per money spent?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.