Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin SFO San Francisco Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin SFO San Francisco Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
2 Good Stays

Have had two good stays this year.

Hotel is somewhat drab but very good staff and proximity either for airport or local stay. Parking $25/day since near airport. SPG Platinum gets full buffet breakfast for you. Two suites per floors 6&7 SPG floors, didn't check out the others, so only a few. Good lobby and pool. Aloft and its XYZ is a 2 minute walk.

Arguably best SPG option in a tough area. Aloft very limited, 4 Points made of cardboard, it seems.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Nice option for an overnight prior to an early morning flight. As a Platinum I was given a room on the SPG floor with a "bay" view. Rooms are in good shape considering that most airport hotels tend to suffer a lot of wear and tear since most people only do one nighters. IMHO the staffing of the front desk needs to be addressed as there were lines down there all the time. I find it strange that the hotels coffee shop closed very early on a Friday night. If you are not going to have a gift shop then at least the coffee shop should remain open later. I wasn't hungry for dinner but I wanted a snack and the only option was some Chex Mix or some pretzels at the display next to the front desk. Problem was it took me 15 minutes to pay for the items since there was such a huge line at the front desk. As a Platinum I got in the SPG line to pay but clearly this upset others standing in the regular line and I got screamed at for cutting in line.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:22 am

Any recent stays, other than christianj? What's the Platinum breakfast situation?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Any recent stays, other than christianj? What's the Platinum breakfast situation?
My last stay was a couple of months ago. Plats still get a full buffet at the main restaurant, which is very nice. Rooms are standard airport Westin: comfortable, but nothing to write home about. I wish the bathrooms were a bit less dated... Still, great views over the bay and rnwys 28L/R and very good noise insulation. Hotel shuttle is unreliable: they have an app showing realtime shuttle position, but it doesn't seem to work very well and I've waited well over 30 mins when it's supposedly every 15 mins. If driving, parking fee can be easily circumvented by parking on the side streets.

Best thing about this hotel are the New England Lobster Co & In N Out Burger nearby, both within easy walking distance.
SPN Lifer and 365RoadWarrior like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
GOLD Perks?

Does GOLD status get anything here other than a pat on the back? Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Does GOLD status get anything here other than a pat on the back? Thanks
Last time I was here it was a drink voucher and an upgrade to the "preferred member" floor
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I stayed in Jan as a Plat (now titanium). Choice of breakfast buffet or points.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just saw this thread get bumped....

Pros - this hotel seems, at least to me, like much more of a grown up hotel rather than the Aloft next door - a bit more sophisticated and full service. Has a decent restaurant/bar off of the lobby. Decent rooms.

Cons - This hotel often sells out, especially during bad weather at SFO - and I've gotten burned by the pet friendly aspect of this hotel, more than once had a yappy dog in the room next door that wouldn't be quiet.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Just saw this thread get bumped....

Pros - this hotel seems, at least to me, like much more of a grown up hotel rather than the Aloft next door - a bit more sophisticated and full service. Has a decent restaurant/bar off of the lobby. Decent rooms.

Cons - This hotel often sells out, especially during bad weather at SFO - and I've gotten burned by the pet friendly aspect of this hotel, more than once had a yappy dog in the room next door that wouldn't be quiet.
If one has lounge access and the price difference is minimal, I'd highly recommend the SFO Marriott Waterfront on 1800 Bayshore over the Westin. The Westin doesn't have a lounge.

While the Westin's nice, the Marriott Waterfront is nicer. The problem is that the Marriott is usually much higher priced.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Cons - This hotel often sells out...
Going to get worse when Facebook opens new campus nearby.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:52 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
With the recent changes to the SFO Uber policy, traffic is a complete mess trying to get here. See this article:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ngame-streets/

​​​​​​I can validate this is accurate during my stay. I would suggest avoiding until this is resolved.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:47 pm

Just stayed last night -

Did not see traffic problems the post above mine pointed out - I was in the shuttle area about 3:30pm, Shuttle came fairly quickly after I stepped outside. Bus fairly empty.

Had to make a last minute trip, and with DreamForce happening, rates in SF were over $1,000/nt for most places. Westin SFO was over $750 (Along with other Marriott family hotels). Was able to use my Marriott Bonvoy Amex 50K certificate - so was happy about that.

No upgrade (hotel is full) - no problem. But, got a room facing the airport, and you will hear jet noise till late at night and you'll wake up to it unless you are a very early riser. I was in a 30x room.

Enjoyed the mgmt reception in the lobby from 5-6pm - 2 reds and 2 whites to choose for free. Spread of cheeses and crackers/bread. Didn't even ask if I was staying at the hotel. These aren't exactly high quality wines - but, they are free. Cheese selection was extensive. Not crowded at all, plenty of seating. They were attentive and cordial.

The bar area gets somewhat crowded in the seating area, the restaurant part not so much. It is expensive. Decent, albeit pricey wine list. Ordered Angus Sliders. Received 2 small ones - was "ok" at best - $17 (ouch)

In room, spacious enough, not soundproof as noted above. TV kinda small considering how cheap they are nowadays, size of dresser, and room. Internet TV available (Netflix, Showtime, HBO).

Shower had 2 leaks. Water pressure good.

Breakfast buffet Plat +1 was good. Extensive. Don't normally eat breakfast but companion did. Would be great had the food been hotter.

Staff all around friendly. Place does need a bit of a refresh.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:26 pm

Update: The bar/restaurant is being renovated. All cordoned off and essentially an empty shell. There is a pop up bar close by. Breakfast still buffet for plat even though voucher still says continental. Food for buffet or restaurant is in a nearby ballroom so you can accept this odd spot, go offsite, or walk across to aLoft. Didn’t ask when done.
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The close access to the bayfront pathway is nice. I walked south to the Hilton and back in July 2019.

I concur with the comment above about the nice selection of cheese at the Manager’s Reception.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Update: The bar/restaurant is being renovated. All cordoned off and essentially an empty shell. There is a pop up bar close by. Breakfast still buffet for plat even though voucher still says continental. Food for buffet or restaurant is in a nearby ballroom so you can accept this odd spot, go offsite, or walk across to aLoft. Didn’t ask when done.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I stay there several times a year. Their breakfast buffet is really good! I like their free Manager's reception as well. All in all, it is a very welcoming environment. The SFO Marriott is nicer, and of course, has the M Club. But it's also far more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.