Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Just wanted to share a few thoughts on this hotel.

- we were unable to check in at 3pm and had to hand around for an hour. The hotel said they were fully booked the night before. This always disappoints me, especially when you have status
- The Hotel is set right back from the sea, it's quite a trek to the sea and back
- Pool is very small and massively crowded
- staff were on the most part really great
- hotel itself, despite being 40 years old, is generally pretty good condition and was kept really clean (including the immaculate shared areas)

Overall, happy with the stay.

One final point would be the people staying here. Lot's of people of a certain age partying hard. All day drinking and generally being loud and noisy. I'm okay with that and my kids were not too bothered but it's worth knowing that this is not a peaceful and tranquil place.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Does anyone have experience with point redemptions for upgraded rooms (i.e. ocean view) at this property? Looking at making some award stays here.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by svo242
Does anyone have experience with point redemptions for upgraded rooms (i.e. ocean view) at this property? Looking at making some award stays here.
Last time we were there I was upgraded as a Gold to a partial gulf view on an SPG floor. Seeing that you are Plat I would think they would do better than that.

To be clear, I wasn't able to book the upgraded room with points, booked a standard room and was upgraded at check in.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:42 pm

I'm considering an award stay here in late February/early March. I'm only Preferred Plus. Under the standard room offered for a points reservation it says: "the majority of our 375 guest rooms and 15 Studio Suites feature a private patio or balcony with captivating Gulf of Mexico or Intracoastal Waterway views." Do I have much chance of actually getting some kind of water view on a points stay? I'm guessing not from the feedback here.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mareh
I'm considering an award stay here in late February/early March. I'm only Preferred Plus. Under the standard room offered for a points reservation it says: "the majority of our 375 guest rooms and 15 Studio Suites feature a private patio or balcony with captivating Gulf of Mexico or Intracoastal Waterway views." Do I have much chance of actually getting some kind of water view on a points stay? I'm guessing not from the feedback here.
I would reserve it ahead of time to be safe. I was here as a gold a few years ago and they could not give any upgrades as the hotel was sold out. I think this happens fairly often, especially in prime season.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:06 pm

Thank you. It's a points stay, so that is the only choice of room I have, but I'll probably look elsewhere since my chances are slim.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mareh
Thank you. It's a points stay, so that is the only choice of room I have, but I'll probably look elsewhere since my chances are slim.
I'm not sure if you have extra points, but I actually reserved an oceanfront room with points last time I was there to ensure the nice view. I can't remember the exact amount, maybe 11,500 versus 10,000 points?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:23 am

I'm not sure if you have extra points, but I actually reserved an oceanfront room with points last time I was there to ensure the nice view. I can't remember the exact amount, maybe 11,500 versus 10,000 points?
I do have them, so I'll check on that option! I didn't know that might be a possibility. Thanks so much.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
So, in light of the Zika virus, we cancelled our trip to Punta Cana this weekend. Instead, we booked two nights here. I'm a platinum, so I'm hoping that the lounge is nice and they give us a decent room... it's our mini-honeymoon.

Any tips re: activities and food nearby? We won't have a car, but apparently Uber exists.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
There are two good spots that are an easy walk from the hotel, across the street and south. Backwaters is a more casual seafood bar with a nice outdoor deck, and Columbia is a nicer sit-down Cuban/Spanish.

We ate at both on our last trip and were happy. There are a lot more options further north on Clearwater beach north of the traffic circle, but you'd want to take an Uber or cab to get there.

The club lounge in this property is also very good, so be sure to check it out.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
So, in light of the Zika virus, we cancelled our trip to Punta Cana this weekend. Instead, we booked two nights here. I'm a platinum, so I'm hoping that the lounge is nice and they give us a decent room... it's our mini-honeymoon.

Any tips re: activities and food nearby? We won't have a car, but apparently Uber exists.
Folks looking for cheap public transportation might be interested in the Suncoast Beach Trolley. Runs from Clearwater across the Memorial Causeway, then down the chain of keys (Sand Key et al) for several miles. You could ride it to the recommended Salt Rock Grill in Indian Shores, for example.

I promise to wave as you pass me in Indian Rocks Beach.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:33 pm

Not the fanciest place, we had a nice meal at Guppy's in Indian Rocks Beach, a roughly 10 min drive from the hotel, and it looks like there are some bus options as well according to Google Maps.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Not the fanciest place, we had a nice meal at Guppy's in Indian Rocks Beach, a roughly 10 min drive from the hotel, and it looks like there are some bus options as well according to Google Maps.
I'm pretty sure that the "SBT" Google shows is the Suncoast Beach Trolley I mentioned.

And, yeah, there are lots of good restaurant choices in Indian Rocks Beach and Indian Shores. Belleair Beach would be closer, but I'm not familiar with the restaurants there, and I'm told the SBT doesn't stop in Belleair Beach for some reason.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:03 am

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks to all those who sent suggestions. We checked in Saturday afternoon, got semi-upgraded to a preferred room with a limited view of the gulf (two double beds), found a bottle of California sparkling wine on ice in the room, and enjoyed the club room Hors d'oeuvres, albeit with the most packed club room I've ever seen.

Went to a movie by Uber at the largo mall: $14 each way, on surge pricing. Breakfast this morning at the club lounge, not as impressive as the evening spread. Will likely try Colombia for lunch.

As other posters have noted:
1) the ocean is quite a walk from
the hotel, on the longest stretch of beach I've ever seen.

2) families and middle-aged people like this hotel. A few young couples, but mostly a married with kids and grandkids 40-70 demographic.

3) service has been excellent, thus far. Polite, crisp, professional, with follow-up on everything.

Will post final review after stay.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:10 pm

Thumbs up Final Review

When: Two nights on points, President's weekend. 2016

Who: me and my wife.

Why: mini-honeymoon. Cancelled our trip to Punta Cana because of Zika.

The hotel itself: old, well maintained. Enormous beach. 2-3 restaurant options in hotel, a few places in immediate walking distance. Small pool for a resort, with a nice hot-tub and firepit. Volleyball and tennis courts.

The Service: Fantastic. The best Sheraton service in the U.S. that I have encountered, and on par with a number of international properties. Every request and issue was addressed immediately. The GM here is doing something right.

The location: when the sun is out, Clearwater is nice. Sunset dolphin tour on little toot was excellent. Backwaters is a great place for lunch or dinner. We were less impressed with Columbia, but we may have ordered wrong.

Check-in: fast and efficient.

Status recognition: not bad. As a platinum, they gave us a decent preferred room with a limited balcony view of the gulf, access to the club lounge, turndown service, free wifi, etc, etc.

Other thoughts: a car is very useful, but not actually necessary. We ubered to hotel from TPA and the took uber, taxis, and the trolley to get around.

This seems like an ideal hotel for young families with 1-3 kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.