Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by frmnj
Hello, am considering the Sheraton Sank Key vs Marriott Suites for a trip with kids in February. Does the Sheraton offer any benefits for lowly Golds or am I better off booking in my wife's name (no status) to lock in Club Lounge access with her SPG Biz Amex? Any comparison on the two properties would be appreciated - I like the all-suite rooms and free breakfast at the Marriott but I understand the Sheraton is closer to the beach. Thanks
I stayed at the Marriott a few years ago and had a very nice stay. I am platinum and received complimentary continental buffet every day. All rooms are suites with a small living room, refrigerator and microwave. I visited the Sheraton when I was there, and it appeared to be a nice property with a smaller pool.

We are visiting the area again in March, but I decided to stay at the Sheraton due to the significant difference in point requirements (Marriott is now category 8). I understand as platinum, I will have access to the Sheraton CL with free breakfast and evening cocktails. Reviews indicate that both properties have small bathrooms. If I wasn't using points and was Gold level at both, I would likely stay at the Marriott if prices were similar.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Armani
I stayed at the Marriott a few years ago and had a very nice stay. I am platinum and received complimentary continental buffet every day. All rooms are suites with a small living room, refrigerator and microwave. I visited the Sheraton when I was there, and it appeared to be a nice property with a smaller pool.

We are visiting the area again in March, but I decided to stay at the Sheraton due to the significant difference in point requirements (Marriott is now category 8). I understand as platinum, I will have access to the Sheraton CL with free breakfast and evening cocktails. Reviews indicate that both properties have small bathrooms. If I wasn't using points and was Gold level at both, I would likely stay at the Marriott if prices were similar.
Thanks! I booked the Marriott Suites Sad Key for three nights. Yes, it ended up costing 10,000 Starwood points more than the Sheraton Sand Key, but I've found myself hoarding SPG points too much since they are supposed to be so valuable!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I’ve stayed at both the Marriot and Sheraton. To me, it’s the Sheraton hands down. The grounds are much nicer and you’re on the beach. Yea, it’s a walk across the sand but you’re on the sand.

The Marriot pool is decent and the outdoor bar is nice but I give the Sheraton the edge all around. That being said, I am PLAT and get to use their awesome club lounge and am often upgraded to a suits.

The Sand Key Sheraton is one of my Hidden go-to places for a quick getaway. While the Marriot is certainly not a bad, IMO, the Sheraton is better.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:32 am

Is restaurant breakfast one of the check in amenity choices?
Any one has gotten a 4p late check-out? I know it is subject to since this is a resort.

Is this a better pick than RI treasure island?
Old May 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by neuro0
Any one has gotten a 4p late check-out? I know it is subject to since this is a resort.

Yes, breakfast for member +1 is an available amenity for Plat and up; we made full use of that benefit during our early April stay.

We did not need late checkout so can’t comment definitively on that, however, the staff was excellent in recognizing my Tit status so I assume they would provide that if requested.

I have not been to the RI but can say we loved the Sheraton.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Can’t speak to RI Treasure Island but I did get late checkout at the Sand Key last year. I took the points instead of breakfast. The lounge was basic but available. I received a nice Ambassador cheese & fruit plate that I was not expecting.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:44 am

LATE CHECKOUT... been to this hotel 25+ times and very rarely have I received a 4pm checkout. It’s a “resort”, so they don’t have to honor it. However, they will typical do their best to check you out as late as possible. Usually 2pm.

BREAKFAST... As mentioned it’s +1 but I always eat in the Club Lounge. It’s pretty good up there. Free alcohol at night too.

Can’t comment on the other hotel but, as mentioned, I’ve been to Sand Key many times (even last week) and I’ve always had great service. It’s great for a getaway.

Old May 12, 2019, 9:32 pm

Good to know they usually don't give 4pm checkout.

How about the Marriott Clearwater beach? Is it a resort for 4pm check out purpose?

I guess I might have to pay for the late check out or pick another hotel.

Do they have an email address?

Thanks for the info. Appreciated!

Last edited by neuro0; May 12, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 5:05 am

IMO, the Sheraton is a way better hotel than the Marriott across the street. I’ve stayed at both.

The times ive gotten 4pm have been during their less busy season, which does not happen often. This hotel runs at high occupancy. I would give them a call and ask. I was there last week and got 2pm.

The will store you’re stuff for you and there are showers in the gym if you really need the extra few hours.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:38 am

Just an update.

The hotel is dirty and old. Room is flithy. Smell of urine. Hairs in the bathroom vent sticking out. How do the hairs get up there is beyond me. Not to mention it is small and outdated. Dirty and old carpet.

The buffet breakfast in restaurant is pathetic with very limited selection.

The good.
Enjoying the beach very much.
Booked basic room and I was upgraded to pool view room.
Free alcohol in club lounge. Although I don't drink.
Beach access is right there. That is the only reason it can charge over 400 a night on Saturday with those dirty and old room.
Got charged internet access as
elite
Tried asking for late check-out at check in and I was told 1230p. They are a resort so It is okay.

Definitely will not be back because of the overall hotel condition.

​​​​​​
​​
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Any recent experiences here? Chance of an upgrade for a Titanium member?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any updates post coronavirus?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Any updates post coronavirus?
It looks like they're offering rooms starting Mar 8, much earlier than their sister hotels.

That's definitely not even close to "post-coronavirus", though. Don't let the fact that our governor has foolishly re-opened the beaches (sort of) fool you.

I say "sort of"" because the opening was for walking and exercising only, maintaining separation. "No coolers, beach towels, or sunbathing". Looking out my window I can see that's definitely not being enforced around here. I certainly hope it is in the more touristy areas.

FL has mandated a self-quarantine of anyone from NY, NJ, and I think one or two others.

Both measures ought to last to the end of May, in my opinion, but who knows what the governor will do.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Just an update.

The hotel is dirty and old. Room is flithy. Smell of urine. Hairs in the bathroom vent sticking out. How do the hairs get up there is beyond me. Not to mention it is small and outdated. Dirty and old carpet.

The buffet breakfast in restaurant is pathetic with very limited selection.

The good.
Enjoying the beach very much.
Booked basic room and I was upgraded to pool view room.
Free alcohol in club lounge. Although I don't drink.
Beach access is right there. That is the only reason it can charge over 400 a night on Saturday with those dirty and old room.
Got charged internet access as
elite
Tried asking for late check-out at check in and I was told 1230p. They are a resort so It is okay.

Definitely will not be back because of the overall hotel condition.

​​​​​​
​​
Wish I had seen this comment earlier. Single night stay for business. Upgraded to a Bay View/Balcony room as an ambassador. Still old/dirty maybe even more so since 2019. I felt like I was transported to a Motel 6 in the 1990s. The bathroom is probably the smallest I've seen in a Bonvoy Group Hotel. Avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.