Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Diego, CA 2005 onward (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points San Diego, CA 2005 onward (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Arrow Four Points San Diego, CA 2005 onward (Master Thread)

I must agree with cdfev. I'm here now, and I think that while it is very gray, it does what I ask of it -- a nice room, free Internet access (jfe, I just asked for a cable and they lent one to me), free parking, and a bonus of a refrigerator. I assume that I'm in a renovated room.

I checked in early this morning for a two-night stay. The clerk who checked me in indicated that she had read my "special requests" (my standard reiteration that I require a non-smoking room and for Four Points, free internet access) ^ ^. I think that "special requests" are almost never read in my experience -- or at least rarely acknowledged.

I like this place.
Old May 26, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Sheraton Four Points San Diego - Bad Stay

Just have to vent after my horrible experience a few days ago in a one night stay at the Sheraton Four Points San Diego (8110 Aero Drive). I'm new to Starwood, sucked in by being comped to Gold because of my WorldPerks GE status. So, I decided to book into a Starwood property and see if I got upgraded, etc.

I now know (from reading old posts) that this property has been bashed many times. Only wish I had read some of those posts prior to booking.

This is truly one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. First, it is bizarre architecture....very dark, sterile, grey, devoid of character or any warmness. Windows are black tinted. It feels like a cross between a battleship and a prison compound. The rooms look out into three wings, from three stories, just like prison cell blocks.

The first thing to hit me as I walked down the very dark corridor was that there were no people anywhere, no noise, no art, no plants, no nothing, but there was a VERY strong odor of lysol, almost burning your eyes. There were piles of contruction material here and there, telling me there is renovation going on.

The room was very shabby, 1980's vintage, and also reeked of lysol. As I had to leave right away, I dropped my bags and left the room, only to return much later and begin to notice again how shabby the place was. The woodwork was beat up, the drapes would not draw all the way, the carpet was bare and unattached in places, the furniture was old and beat up, the chair cushions were saggy and faded, the beds sagged and the bedspreads were faded, wallpaper was peeling in places, several light bulbs were burned out, the plastic coating in the tub shower was peeling off. You get the idea.

I went to the desk, told them I didn't like my room, asked if I was entitled to an upgrade (showing them my Starwood Gold card). Clerk was apologetic, said they're renovating and that he didn't have any updated rooms available by then, and that things would be much improving over the next year. He suggested I fill out the "How Did We Measure Up" survey form in the room. Anyway, by now it was later in evening, I hadn't had dinner, and was in no mood to find another hotel. I asked him for a recommendation for a good Mexican restuarant. So he sends me quite a distance in to a rather out of the way place and when I get there the place is closed on Mondays.

I managed to find dinner, went back to my prison cell, but when I went to bed I was really shocked by the poor condition of the bed. Mattress was very saggy and uncomfortable. But the worst was how smelly it, the bedding and the pillows were. It was attrocious. I slept without pillows because I couldn't stand the rank odor.

I did leave a lenghty critique but, checking out at 5:15AM, didn't take time to confront anyone at desk.

Curious if anyone else has experiences at this place and/or could anyone recommend who I might contact at Sheraton or Starwood to complain. I paid $120 ($132w/tax) for this. I've stayed in much better $59 basic motels. What a total rip off.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any pearls of wisdom.
Old May 26, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
After getting zero Platinum recognition there last summer ("Is he a one-nighter? We try not to upgrade them as it's not worth it for just one night") I went back there due to the 4.000 bonus points promo.

Again, zero Platinum recognition, but this time, the check-in agent would not even offer my 250 point amenity when I asked after checking in.

God bless that Starwood still sends out the plastic cards, with the benefits listed on the back. He examined my card closely, then apologized and offered my points as well as a suite upgrade.

Needless to say, the amenity points did not post without asking for them afterwards from SPG customer service.

If I don't have to, I will not return to this property again. Seems like they appreciate the business they get as a franchised property, but do not like to honour whatever other requirements (SPG benefits) come with the business.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:00 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Any Info on 4 Points San Diego

I just booked a room for my son and grandson for 4 nights at this hotel on Aero Drive. The reviews on line are very mixed. Has anyone stayed there recently and are there any opinions on the place? Thanks in advance?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Curious as to why you picked this property? I stayed there one night last summer because of a wedding in the area. It's just your basic 4 points, but the location is not a good one and it's not really close to anything. If that's fine with you, it should suit you just fine. I found it to be clean, the staff to be pleasant, and the pool was nice. But there is nothing really notable about it.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:23 am

Location is boring and not close to anything notable, but the renovated rooms are good. I stay there on business at least once per week and it suits me fine.
Interestingly, though, their restaurant and Starbucks coffee stand are on idine (rewards network)!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:44 pm

Business takes me to this hotel 10 a year! Find another hotel if possible! The other two post have it dead right! It is a uneventful hotel and there is nothing around it.

For the pts the Shearton Suites downtown on A street offers the best value especially if you are plat.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Does anybody know if the room rennovations are complete at the Four Points San Diego?
I'm thinking of staying there using points for a weekend. Just a place to sleep, not really spending time in the hotel... but don't want to sleep in a dump as described on earlier posts from previous years.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I stayed there two weeks ago and it was fine for the purpose you're talking about. They have the ``Four Comfort'' bed. A few suites. Free parking and by far the cheapest SPG in S.D., at least when I went.
Fairly centrally located, too, if you can figure out the freeway maze.
Just kind of a weird place, that's all. Not a total dump.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:13 am

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Spent a couple nights there last year with my cousin & his boys during a Hollyweird/Disney/Knotts/Sea World etc. adventure.

A large group, including many children, was occupying a goodly portion of the hotel for their accommodation and meetings. Said darlings ran wild into the wee hours of the morning. Whoever invented earplugs, well, I want to kiss them

Security appeared to do nothing. They should have hired the chap from a hotel here in NZ who growled us when we were making a racket in the pool. Firm but fair

They gave me the card of one of the higher ups in order to complain. I forgot about it. I think I have now been reminded. Sure to be worth a Starpoint or a thousand...

justakiwi

PS: The rooms seemed fine. Peculiar rabbit warren of a building, but I can live with that. I was only Gold then, so I dunno if any upgrade happened.
Old May 11, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
4 Points or Sheraton in San Diego

Newbie alert!

I'm stuck with these 2 properties to choose from, so which is a better property, the Sheraton Mission Valley or the Four Points in San Diego?

Also, I'm staying a total of 6 nights for this particular trip, can I stay 3 days at Shraton and the other 3 at Four Points to get 2 qualifying stay toward the Gold level (can I even flip-flop eveyday for 6 qualifying stay )? Or is that not allowed?

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
It's allowed, but then you have to schlep your stuff or be without it.

I like the 4 Points for when I visit my gf at UCSD: its only 10 minutes away and she likes that we're saving some money and still getting points and stays. Its nothing fancy but functional. I always get the top floor without asking, which are designated "Preferred Guest" rooms; there are also some PG rooms scattered on the 2nd floor. However, this is the extent of room upgrades I have gotten-I'm either 6/6 or 0/6, depending on how you look at it. They do give Golds late check out and I have gotten it everytime. Location wise, the 4 Points is a few minutes away from all of the Asian food on Convoy, where we tend to eat a lot of our meals.

I haven't stayed at the Mission Valley Sheraton. The location is a little better if you are planning on going into downtown, Balboa Park, or Sea World, as it is closer. However, they are only separated by a few miles on the 163. If you have never driven through Mission Valley, it can be quite confusing and hairy the first few times, until you get the hang of which streets go where.

While I'm always staying on weekends, I've been finding the 4 Points in the 100-120 range, while the Mission Valley Sheraton is in the 180-250 range. For that much, the W, the Westin, Harbor Sheratons and even the US Grant start to come into play. I've stayed at the Grant pre-refurbishment, and the W and Westin more recently, and I can't imagine the Sheraton being as nice as those for the cost.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I believe that the 4Pts is a bit more out-of-the-way than the Sheraton, but even it is stuck along Hotel Circle. The one nice thing....Fashion Valley Mall is nearby, if you like upscale shopping.

Flip-flopping is always an option....depends on what your schedule allows. Change very night, or just two or three times during your stay. It's an easy and legit way to build stays and nights. ^
Old May 11, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Go for flip-flop

If my schedule (and stamina) allows, I always try to split my multi-nights stay in the same area, for 2 simple reason.

1. More stay credits toward next year
2. More bonus for stay/nights (during bonus period)
3. More platinum amenity points

If I'm in your position, and if this is happening this month, I would do:
1st night - 4 points San Diego
2nd - Sheraton Mission Valley
3rd - 4pts
4th - Sheraton
5th and 6th - 4pts

By splitting like above, I could net:
5 stays/6 nights credit
5000 points for 5 SPG stay promotion
4000 points for 4 nights 4pts promotion
1000 points from Sheraton (Platinum Amenity)
750 poins from Four Points (Platinum Amenity)

Total of 10,750 starpoints for bonus only !
I wish it was me !!

I understand you won't get platinum amenity, and bonus points are for limited time (-5/31 and -6/3) only, but it is always good to have extra stay credits with one trip.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:31 pm

Stayed at the SD 4 Points last week for a last minute platinum push.

I had given up on this property long ago. Even the renovated rooms were well below par, even for the price.

The property is going through another renovation (hopefully the whole thing this time). The new renovated rooms are VERY livable. Much better than the old "newly renovated" rooms (which looked like cheap quick and dirty refurbs) not to mention the horror that was the unrenovated rooms.

This renovation is very well done - a different level than the last refurb. I don't stay in any other 4 Points, but I'm guessing this must be a new corporate standard design of some sort (also new toiletries, brochures, etc)? Looked almost what I would expect the new "Loft" concept to look. Modern. Marble. Polished stainless steel.

The common areas look like they will be staying the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.