Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Augustine, Luxury Collection, Prague, Czech Republic [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Augustine, Luxury Collection, Prague, Czech Republic [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
At the Augustine, I believe there are differing opinions, many attributable to the different room types. For those who get are assigned a Premium Deluxe Room facing the courtyard toward with views of the castle, the experience can be quite satisfying. For others who are assigned a Classic Room facing the tram, the experience might disappoint.

I stayed at the Augustine over a year ago. I enjoyed my stay a lot and would definitely consider staying there again. The hotel treated me well. For those who had a disappointing experience based on a room which didn't meet expectations, I get that too. For the Augustine, it is important to share information about the room type when commending or complaining, to help guide others.
bhrubin and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For those wondering about the luxury status of the Augustine, I think it's worth quoting the impressions of @DavidO, one of the celebrated luxury travel agents who contributes regularly to the Luxury Hotels Forum, from "the luxury hotels of Prague" thread in the Luxury Hotels Forum...

For the record, the Augustine joined the Luxury Collection in summer 2015. It retained the same independent management team when it joined.

Originally Posted by DavidO
This is the review I wrote 6 years ago...but we loved the hotel when we saw it. Don't know what they may have done with the rooms since 2013.

The Augustine

Formerly part of the Rocco Forte Collection, The Augustine is now an independent hotel, but it retains the design features of its Rocco Forte heritage — clean, contemporary interiors that harmonize well within the locally historical building in which they are housed. Housed in a 13th century monastery (and still adjacent to an active Augustinian monastery), this hotel opened 4 1/2 years ago in the "Lesser Town" of Prague (the castle side of the Charles Bridge). With just 101 rooms, every room of this boutique hotel is unique.

We loved this hotel and feel it is a quite successful adaptation of a monastery into a luxury hotel. Rooms are spacious, hallways are wide and attractive, and I loved the interior style of the guest rooms (hardwood floors and a color scheme using shades of green, olive, brown, and aubergine). We saw two Executive Rooms and liked them both. The bathroom in the first had a single vanity, step-in shower, and soaking tub ... while the other's bathroom had dual vanities and a shower in the tub ... so it's important to specify your preference when making reservations. The Classic Suite we saw was very large with its living room separated by closing doors from the bedroom; its bathroom had dual vanities, step-in shower, and soaking tub. With 28 lead-in Classic rooms and 42 second-category Executive Rooms, the chances of a Virtuoso upgrade would typically be very good at The Augustine.

We tried their restaurant, Elegantes, for dinner on Sunday night, and very much enjoyed our meal at this elegant, contemporary restaurant. Menu choices were healthy, beautifully prepared, and desserts were definitely worth the calories!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by conde
At the Augustine, I believe there are differing opinions, many attributable to the different room types. For those who get are assigned a Premium Deluxe Room facing the courtyard toward with views of the castle, the experience can be quite satisfying. For others who are assigned a Classic Room facing the tram, the experience might disappoint.

I stayed at the Augustine over a year ago. I enjoyed my stay a lot and would definitely consider staying there again. The hotel treated me well. For those who had a disappointing experience based on a room which didn't meet expectations, I get that too. For the Augustine, it is important to share information about the room type when commending or complaining, to help guide others.
I stayed here last year with another (at-the-time SPG) Plat, and we weren't impressed. As you said, it came down to the room for us. We had communicated our preference for a quiet room with the hotel and were guaranteed that we would get one. Then on arrival we got a room facing the tram which vibrated each time it passed by -- not my idea of relaxing. We asked for a different room, and they had nothing the first night. The second night, they offered us a different (smaller and not that much better in terms of noise) room, and we said we'd think on it and not to switch us just yet; we had an appointment we were running late for. Upon our return an hour later, turns out they'd switched our room despite us telling them not to just yet. The original room was no longer available. We were never compensated for that. As petty as the issue may seem, for a luxury hotel, those are service failures that leave a bitter taste in one's mouth, especially in a room with two platinum members. The breakfast was pretty good though, I suppose.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:07 pm

Just booked a two night stay here for next May. Any recent stays? Any luck with SNA's? And any recommendations in Prague? We would like to do a nice meal one night.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I have a stay booked at the Augustine in late August. Has anyone stayed here recently? I would be interested to hear if they are offering their usual high quality product or whether they have any detrimental restrictions in place due to covid (eg reduced or non existent breakfast offering). Thanks in advance.

Edit: in case, anyone is curious, I reached out to the hotel and it seems it's pretty much business as usual, with some sensible precautions.

Last edited by Radiation Station; Aug 14, 2020 at 3:51 am Reason: update
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Grateful for any advice regarding room selection at this hotel. I have a stay booked this month through a luxury travel advisor - it's a STARS rate, so it includes an upgrade, subject to availability. We booked a Junior Suite and two days ago the app showed an upgrade to a Classic Suite, which seems to be quite a bit larger at 50 m2 (JS is 42 m2). However, the app now shows our designated room as a Premium Castle View, which is listed as 38 m2. I can see from this thread that the Premium Castle View is generally well regarded, and the Augustine website oddly ranks the Castle view above the Junior Suite (haven't seen a hotel rank a non suite above a junior suite before). Cananyone speak from experience and say whether the Castle View rooms are a decent upgrade over the Junior Suite, as they seem to be smaller? I could always ask my travel advisor to push for the Classic Suite instead. We did ask for a nice view of the castle but it does seem like the Premium Castle View is in some ways a downgrade from the Junior Suite, as it is smaller.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i am trying to book a weekend in may next year but this hotel is showing outrageous rates...and the other marriott properties are showing the entire month of may as being unavailable.

i guess i havent booked hotels so far in advance, is this normal?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
i am trying to book a weekend in may next year but this hotel is showing outrageous rates...and the other marriott properties are showing the entire month of may as being unavailable.

i guess i havent booked hotels so far in advance, is this normal?
Looking at a random weekend in May, it seems that they have only loaded suite inventory. I don’t see any “normal” rooms. Perhaps email or call the hotel?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Looking at a random weekend in May, it seems that they have only loaded suite inventory. I don’t see any “normal” rooms. Perhaps email or call the hotel?
thanks--im just glad it wasnt something odd on my end...but had been seeing this for the past week each time i'd look!
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:50 pm

thanks--im just glad it wasnt something odd on my end...but had been seeing this for the past week each time i'd look!
Maybe there’s an event on and they are sold out of normal rooms? Or perhaps they’ve just screwed up the IT by accident. I stayed there this week and classic and deluxe rooms (the two entry levels) were selling for around £300-400, I think, with the standard flexible rates (I booked a healthcare rate). I’ve booked for next April on a package that cost around £300 a night. I think it’s routine for them to charge £300 or so for the entry level room during the summer.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Maybe there’s an event on and they are sold out of normal rooms? Or perhaps they’ve just screwed up the IT by accident. I stayed there this week and classic and deluxe rooms (the two entry levels) were selling for around £300-400, I think, with the standard flexible rates (I booked a healthcare rate). I’ve booked for next April on a package that cost around £300 a night. I think it’s routine for them to charge £300 or so for the entry level room during the summer.
sure, but it is odd that the marriott, carlo iv and courtyard are all unavailable for the entire month. the augustine happens to be the only one, and even then you're right it is the standard 300GBP rate.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:23 pm

sure, but it is odd that the marriott, carlo iv and courtyard are all unavailable for the entire month. the augustine happens to be the only one, and even then you're right it is the standard 300GBP rate.
FYI the Carlo IV is leaving Marriott Bonvoy this month. The rest of the hotels presumably haven’t added their inventory yet.
VSLover and TGLoyalty like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.