Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Samui Resort, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Samui Resort, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haascc6
Are there any updates to the hotel? Trying to decide between booking this hotel for 2 nights in June or the LM. Points and price wise this is much cheaper, obviously due to the newness of the hotel and it being a Sheraton vs LM, but as long as there are positives I wouldn't mind trying it? any thoughts or reviews would be helpful.
I'm in the same boat (but will be there next week) and I've pretty much decided to cancel the Sheraton and pay almost double to go to the LM.

The recent reviews on TripAdvisor are quite awful (with the exception of a few outliers) and there's such a thing as bad value because it's too cheap.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: SPG lifeplat, AAEXP, UA1K
Originally Posted by hillrider
I'm in the same boat (but will be there next week) and I've pretty much decided to cancel the Sheraton and pay almost double to go to the LM.

The recent reviews on TripAdvisor are quite awful (with the exception of a few outliers) and there's such a thing as bad value because it's too cheap.
Yeah...I'm having a hard time biting the bullet on the hotel...I currently have reservations at both the Sheraton and LM...I'd be interested how you enjoyed the LM while you're there.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haascc6
Yeah...I'm having a hard time biting the bullet on the hotel...I currently have reservations at both the Sheraton and LM...I'd be interested how you enjoyed the LM while you're there.
Sorry for the delay. The LM was very good, a tranquil boutique feeling that's totally relaxing and decent food, but the sea/beach is very forgettable. If you're in the region or seeking relax it's a great place to stay, but if you're traveling all the way to Koh Samui from afar for the beaches, you're probably better off staying somewhere else (ooops...this probably belongs in the LM thread...)

Also, I found Koh Samui incredibly expensive for the region. Probably too many westerner tourists.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Yesterday I booked a stay at this resort in the base room, a Deluxe Garden View King Bed (344 sq ft/32 sq m - 517 sq ft/48 sq m). My stay is 3 weeks away and yet within 24 hours of booking they already show in the reservation an upgrade to an Oceanview junior suite, non-smoking: King Bed, 603 sq ft / 56 m˛.

From this thread I won't expect much in the way of the ocean view, but still quite happily surprised to see the upgrade allocated so far in advance.

Does anyone know if the resort has motorbikes for rent? Or a place just outside perhaps?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Does anyone know if the resort has motorbikes for rent? Or a place just outside perhaps?
Right outside the resort you'll have options.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Yesterday I booked a stay at this resort in the base room, a Deluxe Garden View King Bed (344 sq ft/32 sq m - 517 sq ft/48 sq m). My stay is 3 weeks away and yet within 24 hours of booking they already show in the reservation an upgrade to an Oceanview junior suite, non-smoking: King Bed, 603 sq ft / 56 m˛.

From this thread I won't expect much in the way of the ocean view, but still quite happily surprised to see the upgrade allocated so far in advance.

I stayed there 2M after the opening:

(1) The junior suite is more like a oversized room, but functional.
(2) The F&B is not top-notch (could have changed now of course), although the beach bar happy hour is quite nice
(3) The Beach is really awesome and one of the best beaches I experienced during my years in SE Asia
(4) The staff is really trying to do a good job and was very accommodating

(5) If recall correctly I recall there being a bike rental not far from the exit on the resort side of the road
(6) Across the same road is a small Italian restaurant not too bad if you ask me
(7) A little bit further down the road (same side as Italian restaurant) is a 7-eleven
(8) Try the Italian restaurant at the Vana Belle for dinner very nice food expensive but very nice
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: CX Gold, United Gold, BA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know anything and give details about the Beachfront Studios?
They are just slightly more than the basic room and seem like a good option.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Finishing up a stay here now. Thoughts:

1- Excellent service, people are super friendly and nice.
2- Junior Suite is a large room and has ocean views (albeit through some palms). Very large bathroom and A/C works well. Bathroom shower has a low flow head and as such you don't get the best shower. But it's nice they are trying to stay green and conserve.
3- The beach and pool(s) are very nice. Big fluffy towels, umbrellas, and plenty of seating.
4- The location is very good. Near Chaweng and Lamai beaches but not in them (crazy crowded with tourists, etc). However you will need to visit these towns. Why? F&B is terrible here. The one restaurant (Long Talay) is really bad. I mean borderline inedible. Shocking that since Thailand is filled with yummy food. Thank goodness there are a bunch of restaurants outside the hotel (small cheap Thai ones and an Italian one). Will do in a pinch or you can take the hotel shuttle to Chaweng or rent a motorbike for 200 THB per day (just walk out the exit and go right about 50 meters).
5- Gym is small. There is room for a second workout bench but they only have 1. Hard to work out if others are in there.
6- 350 THB van to/from airport is appreciated. Le Meridien only a few kms from here wants 1,000 THB. Ridiculous. You can get a shared shuttle at airport for only 130 THB but for the few extra bucks, I took the hotel van.
7- Resort is on a hill. So if walking isn't your thing, this hotel isn't for you. They do have go-carts you can call and they'll drive you to/fro.
8- The property denied both my Your24 for early checkin and denied any late checkout. I spoke with 3 people including the Manager. They will not budge. Be very careful if you want to arrive early or leave late.
9- They offer Platinums 2 free drinks per day at the Blue Monkey bar. Much appreciated. I always hate Sheratons that have no lounge and don't do this. Most don't. I applaud them for offering something.
10- A few pieces of fruit and a few dessert bites left in room as Plat amenity. Nothing special but appreciated the attempt.
11- TV has HBO and one other movie channel (Fox premium movies I think).
12- Had a tough time getting room cleaned daily. Some days they missed it and had to call at 5pm to have it cleaned. But when they cleaned it was completed properly.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend hotel. They absolutely need to change the chef though.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
I would like to add my review of the property which is delayed.

My stay was back in May/June 2015 and there were multiple issues, including the food.

The worst was being left behind by the shuttle at night. I should have just taken a cab after the shuttle left without us on hindsight.

The hotel comp some points for the various issues I highlighted after the stay.

For the price (about 4000THB per night), it is actually quite fine but not a good value. You get what you pay for I guess.

http://goodhotelreview.blogspot.com/...atonsamui.html
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriot Silver
Has anyone stayed at the hotel recently? I am going to Samui late Feb/early March and I am torn where to stay. Vana Belle looks amazing but I really don't want to spend 106000 Starpoints on it. I am considering spending cash on it unless there is a C and P option?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by rckcmp
Has anyone stayed at the hotel recently? I am going to Samui late Feb/early March and I am torn where to stay. Vana Belle looks amazing but I really don't want to spend 106000 Starpoints on it. I am considering spending cash on it unless there is a C and P option?
I just stayed last month - look 2 posts up for review
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:57 am

Thanks for the review! I don't know how I missed lol. I am trying to book using SPG points. I am also looking at the OZO down the beach or maybe Vana Belle paying cash. With so many good options I a, starting to have paralysis by analysis!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by rckcmp
Thanks for the review! I don't know how I missed lol. I am trying to book using SPG points. I am also looking at the OZO down the beach or maybe Vana Belle paying cash. With so many good options I a, starting to have paralysis by analysis!
I liked it so if you can get a good rate it's worth it imo. It's right next door to the Vana Belle - so can't see why it'd be worth shooting all those points or paying such high rates for Vana unless this is your honeymoon. But if I were you I'd plan to eat elsewhere.

I never stayed at the OZO but did stay at the OZO chain before and liked em.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:52 pm

Thanks! I booked 5 award nights. Unfortunately they only have oceanview Jr suites available for 14k Starpoints a nights. I booked it but am considering booking somewhere else and utilize the prestige 4th night free. I have had two different friends stay at the W and loved it but it's far and little expensive.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
7K per night seems quite reasonable. Anybody have experience here as a lowly gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.