Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Several questions, as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this property vs. not-as-convenient AirBnB or Hilton resort.
  • I tried a test booking for family of 4 (me, wife, 11 yo, 13 yo) and it charges a $180 CAD extra person fee. Is this par for the course for this property for party of 4, or is it because one of the kids is considered an adult? The Hilton has a $25/nt resort fee, but no extra person fee and is, thus, a little cheaper. No kitchen at the Hilton, though. EDIT: So it looks like any person beyond two guests equates to an "extra person" and is charged $30/night per person, equating to $180 over 3 nights. Hilton doesn't charge this fee (grumble grumble). Same thing at the Delta Whistler. Is this a thing now? Any way around it?
  • As a Plat, how do they do the breakfast welcome gift option? Does the member + 1 guest also include kids? Are both kids considered kids for this amenity? Is the amenity the full breakfast or just cold food items?
  • What do you think the odds of a Plat upgrade to a 1BR suite would be in the last week of March? I'm guessing unlikely, but you never know (wouldn't be holding my breath).
  • I was planning on renting a car. Do most folks do the hotel parking or the $15/nt Conference Centre parking?

Last edited by gobluetwo; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
As to your second point, the platinum breakfast benefit does not include kids here (unless they are your +1 guest).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Several questions, as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this property vs. not-as-convenient AirBnB or Hilton resort.
  • As a Plat, how do they do the breakfast welcome gift option? Does the member + 1 guest also include kids? Are both kids considered kids for this amenity? Is the amenity the full breakfast or just cold food items?
  • What do you think the odds of a Plat upgrade to a 1BR suite would be in the last week of March? I'm guessing unlikely, but you never know (wouldn't be holding my breath).
  • I was planning on renting a car. Do most folks do the hotel parking or the $15/nt Conference Centre parking?
  • The breakfast is for two adults. Kids under 5 or 6 are free.
  • The property is usually very busy during the ski season. I have been upgraded to a 1BR suite more often than not. Even if you don't get the upgrade, the regular rooms are large as well.
  • We just parked at the convention center, as it was cheaper, and it's just down the road. You don't need a car in Whistler. Note that the convention center parking can fill up.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
  • The breakfast is for two adults. Kids under 5 or 6 are free.
  • The property is usually very busy during the ski season. I have been upgraded to a 1BR suite more often than not. Even if you don't get the upgrade, the regular rooms are large as well.
  • We just parked at the convention center, as it was cheaper, and it's just down the road. You don't need a car in Whistler. Note that the convention center parking can fill up.
Best thing to do to and from whistler is a one way rental pick up at YVR and drop at Whistler and vice versa. Ends up being far cheaper than the relatively unpleasant coach shuttle
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
you might consider using a limo company if you're flying into YVR and only going to Whistler and back as the car is basically going to sit once you get there collecting parking fees and while the sea to sky is much improved from pre-olympics days it still nice to not have to drive, allows everyone to see the great views along the way and, perhaps not relevant to your situation with wife and 2 kids, but for our crew also allowed us to all start the party in the limo after a quick liquor store stop . It was a few years ago when we last did that but I recall it was ~900$ round trip which after paying for the rental car (you'll want an SUV), gas and parking wasn't too much more and very worth it IMO.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Thanks, all. Good to know about the breakfast amenity! I haven't been able to get a response on this in the master breakfast amenity thread.

As for transport to/from Whistler, I'll head over to the regional and maybe rental car forums for answers to those questions. We're planning on taking our own equipment (3 sets of skis/poles and 1 snowboard + boots/helmets), so have questions about one way vs round trip car rental + roof rack vs. shuttle or private car.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Thanks, all. Good to know about the breakfast amenity! I haven't been able to get a response on this in the master breakfast amenity thread.

As for transport to/from Whistler, I'll head over to the regional and maybe rental car forums for answers to those questions. We're planning on taking our own equipment (3 sets of skis/poles and 1 snowboard + boots/helmets), so have questions about one way vs round trip car rental + roof rack vs. shuttle or private car.
We had one ways with BA Avis in a largish SUV for a bit over $100 each way with free one way drop
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:48 am

Westin Whistler - no comp rewards upgrades during peak holiday periods

Lucky at OMAAT has a recent post about Marriott family hotels “making up their own rules”. He provides a screenshot where , in the notes ala JW Guanacaste, the hotel states “Please be advised that complimentary Rewards member upgrades will not be available during peak holiday periods.”

link - https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...playing-games/
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Lucky at OMAAT has a recent post about Marriott family hotels “making up their own rules”. He provides a screenshot where , in the notes ala JW Guanacaste, the hotel states “Please be advised that complimentary Rewards member upgrades will not be available during peak holiday periods.”

FT members were on to this issue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...osta-rica.html long before the bloggers.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Tanic
FT members were on to this issue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...osta-rica.html long before the bloggers.
Which is probably where the bloggers got the info from

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:01 am

To be fair, this notice has appeared on the Westin Whistler site for several years (i.e. pre-merger) and, in my experience, is to set expectations as the hotel is fully booked over the holidays. I've also received e-mails from the Westin in the past (pre-merger) warning that occupancy during the entire ski season is extremely high and upgrades are not likely. Yet I've gone three for three on upgrades. So they are willing to provide upgrades as available...there's just limited availability and they choose to warn guests of that fact ahead of time.
craigthemif and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by boolean64
To be fair, this notice has appeared on the Westin Whistler site for several years (i.e. pre-merger) and, in my experience, is to set expectations as the hotel is fully booked over the holidays. I've also received e-mails from the Westin in the past (pre-merger) warning that occupancy during the entire ski season is extremely high and upgrades are not likely. Yet I've gone three for three on upgrades. So they are willing to provide upgrades as available...there's just limited availability and they choose to warn guests of that fact ahead of time.
This.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've seen other examples of similar expectations management.

I prefer the transparency. Others who see sinister, evil, playing games with the system perhaps should step off the elite status hamster wheel for awhile or simply avoid those hotels...
margarita girl and rny321 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:46 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have also been treated well with upgrades at this property in the past, without having to ask so they are proactive in my experience.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I've seen other examples of similar expectations management.

I prefer the transparency. Others who see sinister, evil, playing games with the system perhaps should step off the elite status hamster wheel for awhile or simply avoid those hotels...
Transparency is always a good thing . It may just be a matter of semantics . I have no issue if they had said “ upgrades MAY NOT be available “ but the language is “ARE NOT available.” The more latitude that properties are given to create language that allows them to interpret the terms and conditions in their favor , the more they may have incentive to get creative . The good news seems to be , according to other posters here , that they do indeed upgrade .
iskingolf and rny321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.