Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:18 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Transparency is always a good thing . It may just be a matter of semantics . I have no issue if they had said “ upgrades MAY NOT be available “ but the language is “ARE NOT available.” The more latitude that properties are given to create language that allows them to interpret the terms and conditions in their favor , the more they may have incentive to get creative . The good news seems to be , according to other posters here , that they do indeed upgrade .
If I was the manager of the hotel and if I had been sold out for 10+ straight years during the holidays, I would not get hung up on the exact wording and if I said upgrades ARE NOT available during holidays I would stand by this statement without worrying about it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Our family of four has stayed there for the past 4 years(including 2018) during Christmas, and I think all but one time we were upgraded to 1Br suite. New this year after Marriott full merger is the Full Breakfast, which was very nice(previously it was Continental). Overall, I have been very pleased with Platinum treatment at this property - if they can, they will give you the benefits you're entitled to. and full breakfast amenity is definitely appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Happy to report that Westin Whistler offers full buffet breakfast in lieu of the 1,000 points

Buffet wasn't the best but it was alright for a North American property

Staff was amazing tho, especially the front office agents ^
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
The Westin Whistler now charges an "extra person fee" of $cad 30/night for the 3rd and 4th person in the room, even for little kids. This seems to be the case for both reward and revenue bookings, and regardless of room type.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:32 am
N8M

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, HHonors Gold, AC 25K
Anyone know when they upped the category for this (and the Delta Whistler Village) AGAIN? It's now Category 7 and the Delta has been moved to Category 6.

Very disappointing.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I think SPG raised it from category 5-6 and then Marriott 6-7. There's usually a "yearly category changes" thread for history.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:53 pm

any recent stays?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
any recent stays?
Had a few nights here in October (Canadian Thanksgiving - last weekend before seasonal shutdown) -- and thought it was a great deal. Upgraded from base room to 2-bedroom suite w/ nice views, nice/useful kitchen, decent breakfast (with no upcharge, as a Titanium). Service was very friendly.

Considering going back in a few weeks to ski, obviously at a much higher price...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Ambassador, stayed over Christmas. Fully sold out, but still preupgraded from studio to 1BR suite. Unfortunately was one of the pet friendly rooms, much smaller than normal 1BR and overlooking deck over restaurant area, used by pets to do their business.

Choice of continental breakfast in popup lounge (and welcome points) or full buffet/single item off menu for two in restaurant with dated daily vouchers (instead of welcome points). Remember to ask for 10% discount on any extras beyond the two meals if you are more than two people.

We found service in general was very inconsistent, as if some didn't care as they were full and you weren't going to come back anytime soon.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Stayed again over Christmas this year. Despite being Titanium, did not get upgraded to 1br, but at least got studio with King bed, which was nicer than standard queen. Full breakfast is still provided, housekeeping was inconsistent. Overall, the point level jump makes it less attractive than before - 65k points/night during high season now is a lot.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Between the Marriott changes and the overall changes to Whistler since avail bought them out, I think this might be our last season visiting Whistler.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Westin Whistler = Best Value for the Money in Whistler

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

4090 Whistler Way Whistler, BC CA V0N1B4

Westin Whistler = Best Value for the Money in Whistler (27 Photos)

We had a couple of stays in Westin Whistler this month and I can say post-covid in my opinion it remains the best value for the money in town.  I believe Westin is worth a price premium over Hilton and Delta and for our dates I did not even have to pay more for Westin because these three hotels had roughly the same room rates which made it a no-brainer to pick Westin.  Generally speaking based on our latest stays Westin has adjusted well post-covid, for example I found breakfast to be even better than before and also upgrades remain generous so I can continue to recommend this property.

1_IMG_3455.jpeg1_IMG_3456.jpegIMG_3457.jpeg1_IMG_3458.jpeg1_IMG_3459.jpeg

Check In

The normal check-in time is temporarily 4pm and check-out 11am due to covid, however as Marriott Ambassador Elite we were able to get 10am check-in on the first stay, and for the second stay despite the hotel being sold out the night before, we had 11am check-in which was great.  Check-out 4pm was also offered proactively so it’s safe to stay that elite benefits have not been cut back at this property in that regard.

Room

For one of our two stays we had a one-bedroom suite with mountain view plus balcony, which is a similar upgrade as we had in previous years.  The view from the room is great and significantly superior to view rooms at Fairmont.

1_IMG_3508.jpeg1_IMG_3509.jpeg1_IMG_3510.jpegIMG_3511.jpegIMG_3512.jpegIMG_3513.jpegIMG_3514.jpegIMG_3515.jpegIMG_3516.jpegIMG_3518.jpeg

On the other stay we also had the loft suite for the first time.  The loft suite is significantly more expensive than the 1-bedroom suite so I was definitely happy about the upgrade although I would note that the price difference appears to be quite material considering that the loft suite is not that much bigger than the regular suites so if I had to pay cash, it would be content with the regular suite.  The design of the loft is more inspiring because of the high cathedral ceiling over the living room and the open floor plan.  However in front of our loft all we could see were trees in front of our window so not as impressive as the views from the regular suite

1_IMG_3444.jpeg1_IMG_3445.jpeg1_IMG_3446.jpeg1_IMG_3447.jpeg1_IMG_3449.jpeg1_IMG_3451.jpeg1_IMG_3452.jpegIMG_3453.jpeg

Overall this is a hotel where I would be happy with most kinds of suites, all of them being quite good quality.  The one weakness is that rooms are somewhat small, low ceilings in the bathrooms, and there is not a lot of space to walk on either side of the bed.  The bedroom of the regular suite was not big enough to accommodate a king size bed so we had a queen bed, and in the loft suite there was only a night table on one side of the bed.  However after staying at Fairmont Whistler in between our two stays at Westin, it would be hard to argue that the lack of space at Westin is a problem given the poor upgrades that Accor Diamond guests can get at Fairmont – the rooms there are standard and boring, and even smaller than suites at Westin.

To finish with the room at Westin I would mention that Netflix was available on the TV unlike at Fairmont and Four Seasons Whistler.

Dining

For breakfast, the Grill & Vine restaurant was temporarily closed for a couple of weeks of renovations so guests were redirected to the FireRock Lounge which does not have many tables so it can get full on weekends but during the week it was quiet and not crowded.  They installed glass partitions between seats as a covid precaution.  The buffet at Westin used to be quite nice and now it’s been replaced with an a la carte menu which is even better than before.  The avocado toast was particularly delicious; for North American breakfast standards it was definitely impressive.  For comparison purposes, coincidentally when we stayed at Fairmont they also had avocado toast on the breakfast menu.  Fairmont is a far more expensive hotel than Westin so Fairmont should be expected to beat Westin for breakfast (among other things) but it was actually the other way around – as can be seen from the pictures the avocado toast at Westin looked better and tasted better as well.  Also Westin allowed us to have a main dish plus a side order, but Fairmont we could only have a main dish as the breakfast benefit, and nothing else.  I wish Westin could make breakfast in the room available for guests Platinum and above, but unfortunately it was in the restaurant only, unlike Fairmont.  But on the positive side, breakfast at Westin was until noon which is quite generous timing which we appreciated.

1_IMG_3475.jpegIMG_3476.jpgIMG_3477B.png1_IMG_3478.jpeg

Service

Service at Westin is still excellent and stood out more than at Fairmont.  Staff at reception welcomed us back and addressed us by name when we returned and staff at the restaurant were friendly and flexible with our orders.

Wifi

Wifi was ok but not the best by worldwide standards with speeds of 6-12 Mbps despite the hotel not having high occupancy.  That said, if I compare to the disastrous wifi at Fairmont I was happy to come back to Westin for a workable connection and I would not complain.

Overall

At the time we stayed in Whistler, Fairmont was 50% more expensive than Westin during weekends and double the price during weekdays but our experience was superior at Westin in almost every way.  Other than no housekeeping being available I have not seen any cutbacks at Westin, in fact breakfast is even better than pre-covid.  I should also note that the lack of housekeeping is not isolated to Westin; other hotels in British Colombia where we stayed this month did the same thing so Westin does not stand out negatively and I suspect it’s a government-mandated rule rather than a decision by Westin.  Westin remains a good choice in Whistler as they have adapted well to covid and I will return in the future.

Westin Whistler = Best Value for the Money in Whistler

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler?

No, thank you.
Yes
newfbc, unclepants, m.y and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Stayed here on the weekend right before the huge snow storm. Before that, I was here in summer time around June.

Looks like Breakfast Buffet is back. Selection is great and service was actually very nice and quick. They had smoked salmon, variety of cheeses, greek yogurt, etc. They seem to switch things up a bit every morning since they did have waffles one day, pancakes and bread pudding (amazing!) the next day. They seemed to only offer coffee as part of Elite benefits but they had no issue making my wife a Latte at no cost. I do miss when they let you order from the regular menu as the Eggs Benny was pretty good but the buffet was a welcome sight.

Hotel was sold out most of the week so had to wait until 3:30PM for check-in. Was upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite as a Platinum Elite 2 days prior. Only could get a 11:30AM late check-out on Sunday but overall a good stay.
bubbelbine likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:51 am

Stayed here for one night, a week before Christmas - hotel was at full capacity.

On check-in, room wasn't ready yet because I was there early (10:30 AM), so stored our stuff with the bell hop, and hit the slopes for some laps, and then was called later by the front desk and advised room was ready.

Wasn't given a choice of amenity, was told I would just get breakfast coupons and keys, once my room was ready. I guess technically this was a violation of the Marriott Platinum Elite Guarantee but I didn't want to press the issue, or get anyone in trouble because they seem to have a lot of new staff here.

When I went to get my room keys at around 4 PM there was a long wait (20+ mins) and there was no dedicated elite line. They then gave me my room keys, but forgot to give me the breakfast vouchers until prompted. I was randomly served a complimentary hot chocolate while waiting in line which hit the spot. Our bags were proactively delivered to our room.

As a Platinum upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, but only at check-in, not upgraded in advance. Was given a room on the 3rd floor of the main building, which apparently was right above the pool, and it was quite noisy until 10 PM.

Breakfast buffet is back, but there was a 30 minute wait for tables even though there seemed to be many empty tables in the dining room. Maybe limited capacity due to covid, or short staffed.

Gym hours have been reduced (due to covid) and only opens at 7 AM. Was told that reduced hours is due to the fact that they need staff to verify vaccination status in order to use the gym. Really liked the Peloton bikes and steam rooms.

On the last day of my stay, was offered a 1 PM late checkout, but had planned to ski until about 3 PM so stored our bags with the bell hop again (left our bags in the room for pick-up). When we went to retrieve our bags after skiing they initially couldn't find our bags, and took about 20-30 minutes to locate them as they were stored in another room.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:16 pm

Just returned from a 4 night stay here. I usually ski in Whistler a few times each season but this was my first time at the Westin in about 10 years. As a Plat I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite at T-48 hours, and was offered a choice of breakfast vouchers or points as the welcome amenity. Obviously took the breakfast - it's a nice spread and it otherwise would cost CAD$37 per person. On weekends there was an omelette station, and on weekdays the servers offered to place egg orders with the kitchen if you wanted something beyond what was available at the buffet. Sunday morning at 7:30 there was a 20-minute wait for a table, but otherwise we were seated right away (we went around the same time each day). The tables are quite spread out so it's definitely not back to full capacity.

I had been expecting to pay extra for the ski valet, but it is free when you stay in a one bedroom suite (or higher) so that was a nice extra bonus of the upgrade. My only major compliant about this hotel is pool / hot tub set up. The pool itself is fine but the tiny outdoor hot tub is totally inadequate for a 400 room ski hotel - it was always packed. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed it like that. The Fairmont is way better on that front, and there's a few other things I like better about it over the Westin. If cost were equal I'd probably lean Fairmont, but with decent Plat benefits here, and Fairmont charging a 30% premium for our dates, we were pretty happy with the Westin.
GUWonder and plankton like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.