FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

pazza2000 May 10, 11 4:48 am

2 Wonderful Rooms for a Mega Suite

Quick question following on from the above post.

I have an upcoming stay here and have reserved 2 rooms(C+P). I was wondering if beforehand, or at check in if we could request that instaed we be given a Mega Suite should it be avavilable. We would be 2 Golds or even a Gold and a Plat at time of stay, and it looks as if the Mega Suite is essentially 2 Rooms with an adittional living space between.

Do you think it would be worth getting in touch to note this request beforehand?

Many thanks

Alpha May 13, 11 5:35 pm

Update:

Stayed here two nights ago. The building is bizzare- all concrete with small windows. It's very Soviet looking. They were having serious issues with the elevators, unfortunately. I was upgraded to a spectacular suite on the 12th floor. I almost wish I'd been on a lower floor because of the elevator problems. At one point I got on the elevator and I guess it was the only one running- it stopped at every single floor for people to get on.

Back yard has a great happy hour. Frisee salad with the fried egg at NineThirty is killer.

The Acura is drop-off only.

NDDomer86 May 13, 11 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 16359118)
Quick question following on from the above post.

I have an upcoming stay here and have reserved 2 rooms(C+P). I was wondering if beforehand, or at check in if we could request that instaed we be given a Mega Suite should it be avavilable. We would be 2 Golds or even a Gold and a Plat at time of stay, and it looks as if the Mega Suite is essentially 2 Rooms with an adittional living space between.

Do you think it would be worth getting in touch to note this request beforehand?

Many thanks

This property usually isn't very good at upgrading to the Mega Suite upon request. I have been upgraded a couple of times to it but once because of a mix-up with my reservation/assigned room and once because I had initially booked a higher class room to begin with. The third time, when I actually needed a Mega Suite, they refused to upgrade me to it without charging me $500 (a heavily discounted price according to them) for the night (which I ended up paying).

pazza2000 May 17, 11 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 (Post 16383029)
This property usually isn't very good at upgrading to the Mega Suite upon request. I have been upgraded a couple of times to it but once because of a mix-up with my reservation/assigned room and once because I had initially booked a higher class room to begin with. The third time, when I actually needed a Mega Suite, they refused to upgrade me to it without charging me $500 (a heavily discounted price according to them) for the night (which I ended up paying).

Thanks. I wonder if they have two connecting rooms or another 'suite' option to get us close together. Might send a quick email before check-in

Squzair Dec 3, 11 6:26 am

Hi All,

I've got a 5 nts stay, having used my *wood pts for the Spectaculair Suite.
Aim for the stay is just to let the missus shop in the area & the kids head to Universal Studios, drive around the beaches & chill.

Would like to get some recent experiences in terms of expectations of treatment for Plat members.

Is a further upgrade common?
Can anyone confirm that there is no lounge/b'fast for Plat members? Or is there one after all?
I noticed that parking is $35 per day ... is there an alternative option?

Appreciate any input & do u feel there is a better LA property that provides great Plat treatment.

Cheers!
:D

sunshinerama Dec 5, 11 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Squzair (Post 17558767)
Would like to get some recent experiences in terms of expectations of treatment for Plat members.

Is a further upgrade common?
Can anyone confirm that there is no lounge/b'fast for Plat members? Or is there one after all?
I noticed that parking is $35 per day ... is there an alternative option?

I last stayed here in 2010 (as I live about a mile away actually), but I've probably stayed there about 15 times over the last 5 years - so take this for what it's worth:

1) The standard Platinum upgrade was to the Fabulous Suite (even when you booked the cheapest Wonderful room). Since the hotel is "all-suites", there's an almost certain chance you will at least get a Spectacular and a likely chance you will get a Fabulous - AS LONG AS there's no special event going on which sells out the hotel, etc. And given you've already booked the Spectacular, you're already halfway there!

2) None before, but don't know if that's changed.

3) There's a private parking lot on the corner of Hilgard and Weyburn, just south of the hotel (and takes about 2 minutes to walk to). It is cheaper than the W, BUT I don't think it has in/out privileges. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, there's a day rate as well as a night rate (but I believe both combined are still cheaper than the W). So you may want to check there first before parking at the W. Furthermore, on a 5 night stay, it will be tough to rely on street parking as it's pretty limited.

yvr76 Jan 31, 12 5:02 pm

Stayed here for 1 night last weekend with Mrs. YVR. Upgraded from spectacular to Fabulous Suite on 12th floor (separate living room, den, and bedroom areas). 4pm late checkout accommodated right away on check-in. ^

There was a boy band staying at the property this weekend ('One Direction' I think) and hoards of screaming teenage girls everywhere. It was actually pretty comical. The host at the restaurant turned away a few girls for breakfast because they didn't have a reservation and were 'at capacity'. We were next in line, and figured we'd have to go elsewhere. She seated us right away, telling us they need to do crowd control otherwise there would be no room for actual hotel guests. Everywhere there were streams of girls accompanied by 1 or 2 reluctant parents.

UASPG Aug 24, 12 12:11 pm

Starwood Hotels completes sale of W Los Angeles - Westwood

Created on Friday, 24 August 2012 10:38
Hotel will continue to be managed by Starwood under the W flag

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. have announced
that it has completed the sale of W Los Angeles - Westwood to
Pebblebrook Hotel Trust for $125 million. As part of the sale,
Pebblebrook has agreed to continue with the planned property renovations
to expand and re-define the hotel's Living Room, bar and public spaces.
Starwood has entered into a 40-year management agreement to continue
operating the hotel under the W flag.

"We continue to pursue opportunities to sell our owned real estate at
the right time to the right owners in the best interest of
shareholders," said Simon Turner, President of Global Development for
Starwood. "We already have a great working relationship with Pebblebrook
Hotel Trust on The Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, W Boston and
Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica, and are pleased to expand our partnership
with this iconic property."

"We're thrilled to again be partnering with Starwood at W Los Angeles -
Westwood. We look forward to future success together as we continue to
improve this high-quality hotel," said Jon Bortz, Chairman and Chief
Executive Officer of Pebblebrook Hotel Trust.

W Los Angeles - Westwood located at 930 Hilgard Avenue, is a
full-service, luxury property with 258 modern, spacious suites; a SWEAT
state-of-the-art fitness center; a 7,000 square foot Bliss® Spa; The
Backyard restaurant and WET, a heated outdoor pool; and the acclaimed
NineThirty restaurant. The hotel, across from UCLA and near the
entertainment and vibrancy of Sunset Strip, sits at the foothills of
Beverly Hills/Bel Air and is minutes from Santa Monica's beaches. The
hotel offers the perfect escape from the sprawling city and is the
ultimate Los Angeles hideaway.

http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/new...geles-westwood

KENNECTED Aug 24, 12 1:04 pm

Thank Goodness! I love this property!

SAN 1K Sep 11, 12 9:47 pm

I went with my family here (wife + 3&6 year-old girls) for Labor Day weekend. We had a fun time. It is indeed a quirky hotel - in terms of the floor plate and the decor. But that's part of what one expects at a W.
The best thing about the hotel was the neighborhood. So many things within walking distance.
I had an unfortunate situation insofar as I was pre-upgraded the day before arrival (could see it on SPG website), then de-upgraded on the day of arrival, back to a Spectacular Suite (SS). The SS was perfectly fine, actually, but not so great for the 4 of us. We switched for the second night to a Fabulous Suite on a very high floor, which was great. The views were amazing and we had a ton of space.
The pool is small, and was crowded in the afternoons. But we were there early enough to get chairs! For those who like peace and quiet, early morning at the pool was wonderful. Just a few people reading the paper and enjoying the free coffee.
I did the 4-mile run from the hotel map (ask the front desk for the maps). It's a bit hilly, runs around the UCLA campus. But very nice scenery and at least 1/3 is on dirt paths.
We managed to park for free on the street. But that would be hard in most cases. That said, there are cheaper lots around the area if you want to save on the hotel charge for parking.
Overall, we really enjoyed it and hope to go back.

flyersfo Oct 8, 12 12:25 am

As a Platinum, I was informed that this hotel no longer honors 4 p.m. checkouts for Platnium members, only 2 p.m. checkouts. Can that be right?

LovetoTravel83 Oct 8, 12 12:27 am

Originally Posted by flyersfo (Post 19455691)
As a Platinum, I was informed that this hotel no longer honors 4 p.m. checkouts for Platnium members, only 2 p.m. checkouts. Can that be right?

Nope, it should be 4 pm.

bigguyinpasadena Oct 8, 12 8:35 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 19455701)
Nope, it should be 4 pm.

It is included on the "Conference Center" list- so they do not have to honor the late check out. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html

This is of course ridiculous :mad: Please let Starwood know of your displeasure.

flyersfo Oct 8, 12 9:27 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 19457086)
It is included on the "Conference Center" list- so they do not have to honor the late check out. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html

This is of course ridiculous :mad: Please let Starwood know of your displeasure.

Wow, this is really deceptive on SPG's part.

So essentially any big-city hotel that participates in "conferences" (which means EVERY big-city hotel in the chain) can opt-out of one of the important Platinum perks.

Look at that list. It also includes the St. Francis and Palace hotels in San Francisco, as well as the Bonaventure in downtown LA and the W in Westwood. In other words, many/most of its larger hotels in both San Francisco and Los Angeles.

The W is grudging about its other Platinum "perks." Try to get the breakfast as your "amenity" and you get a certificate that allows, beyond coffee and juice, a plastic container of fruit and one of two types of pastry at the bar. Ask to apply the value of the coupon to a different breakfast and the chilly response is: No adjustments.

LovetoTravel83 Oct 8, 12 9:44 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 19457086)

+1