FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

bhrubin Nov 12, 17 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 29052967)
I have only eaten at the poolside restaurant for breakfast (the Hideout), but as a quick example of what I mean re: food quality, here is a comparison of 3 versions of the same dish in the past week at the W Boston, Hyatt Centric NYC, and here:

W Boston

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530369.png

Hyatt Centric NYC

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530401.png

W Westwood

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530543.png

My salmon had a giant bone in it, the bagel was pre-assembled and the ingredients were obviously lower quality. The W Boston version of the dish was fantastic, the Hyatt Centric was good, this was poor.

The other items were similarly mediocre. All except the Huevos Racheros which was truly great. But out of the entire menu, there is one good dish.

Also, re: prices… yes, LA is expensive, but it's not $28-an-omelet expensive. $12 a smoothie and $6 a cup of mass-brewed-coffee is absurd. I'm okay paying $6 for a premium single-bean pour over at an artisan roastery. I'm not okay paying $6 for a tiny cup of lukeworm drip junk diner-style.

I can only say that I had a terribly overcooked chocolate lava cake at the W Boston—with no lava. It was a poor meal at a hotel that perhaps otherwise is good. You love the W Boston and never had a poor meal. I like the W Los Angeles and have never had a poor meal. Sounds like poor incidents can happen at both.

If you didn’t like your salmon dish, I’d say you should have asked for another. If you did and they didn’t bring that or served another that disappointed you, I concede. If you didn’t complain and/or ask for another, then I’m sorry to say that complaining only after the fact is not something I endorse. To me, that enables the bad behavior about which so many complain.

My custom egg white omelette was $22. That’s pretty fair for LA. Since a cappacino was $8 and a small pot of coffee was only $7, I ordered the small pot. It was always hot and very good for me. My Eggs Benedict also was fantastic ($18 or $20, I think).

We will have to agree to disagree. I think the food and beverage at the W Los Angeles was fantastic. Sorry.

dolceguess4 Feb 6, 18 1:37 am

Platinum benefits

What breakfast do they offer to platinum lately?
Are they also generous with platinum suite upgrade?

UA-NYC Feb 6, 18 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dolceguess4 (Post 29384630)
What breakfast do they offer to platinum lately?
Are they also generous with platinum suite upgrade?

I haven't taken the Plat breakfast, but I get a suite there every time, usually one of the 2BR room ones. They are plentiful.

brokenwindow May 7, 18 12:48 pm

Any recent experiences from W "Beverly Hills"? I realise that it's not actually in Beverly Hills but wondering what the hotel is like otherwise. People on Tripadvisor seem to have very mixed reviews. I'm a SPG Plat if it matters. We have a good rate $199+tax which feels like a good deal for a W.

helvetic May 7, 18 8:24 pm

It's pretty good. The hotel is all-suites. Come in with medium-to-low expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

fabamber Oct 9, 18 7:59 am

Has anyone had a recent review on this property? Anyone used/requested the courtesy car (within 3 miles from the hotel)? I am wondering if this is a good location to be based in?

It will be our first time in LA, planning to stay 5 days and hit all the tourists stuff (Santa Monica, Hollywood Boulevard, Malibu, Runyon Canyon hike, the observatory, check out some museums in downtown and shopping in The Grove/Melrose Ave area). Also, keen to go out at nightlife to restaurants and bars etc.

I understand LA is very spread out. Will mostly rely on Uber/Lyft. Considering getting a car, but the valet parking fee ($46 a day) seems exorbitant.

Also, open to other Marriott/SPG options if anyone has any recommendations.

bhrubin Oct 9, 18 10:54 am

I have 2 recent reviews posted to this thread to give some idea about the property. I will be back here again in a few weeks for work, as well, after a stay at the SLS Beverly Hills for leisure.

C17PSGR Oct 9, 18 11:20 am

Originally Posted by fabamber (Post 30295203)
Has anyone had a recent review on this property? Anyone used/requested the courtesy car (within 3 miles from the hotel)? I am wondering if this is a good location to be based in?

It will be our first time in LA, planning to stay 5 days and hit all the tourists stuff (Santa Monica, Hollywood Boulevard, Malibu, Runyon Canyon hike, the observatory, check out some museums in downtown and shopping in The Grove/Melrose Ave area). Also, keen to go out at nightlife to restaurants and bars etc.

I understand LA is very spread out. Will mostly rely on Uber/Lyft. Considering getting a car, but the valet parking fee ($46 a day) seems exorbitant.

Also, open to other Marriott/SPG options if anyone has any recommendations.

I've stayed there a couple of times. It's a nice property and convenient for those interests but ... an Uber to Malibu could be pricey ... although perhaps cheaper taking into account a five day stay. One downside is there isn't much in walking distance IIRC but others may know better.

In terms of my LA options -- I'm there 2-3 times a month, I like the following properties:

1. SLS -- best breakfast and lots of options in walking distance but can be a little SoCal fake --- Bentleys and shopping bags :)
2. BH Marriott -- decent lounge, lots of options nearby and within walking distance for me, good elite recognition, less SoCal fake.
3. JW Santa Monica -- no lounge, poor plat breakfast, but on the beach (sort of) and lots of options within walking distance
4. JW La Live -- decent lounge, some things within waling distance ... but usually stay her when work is a priority as its downtown. Personally, not a fan of the restaurants there although there are some other interesting places downtown.

Kacee May 19, 19 7:42 pm

Just checked in for four nights. Need to be at UCLA so this was the obvious choice. Close to 20 years since I was last here. Unimpressed so far. On arrival no sign of bell staff out front or inside. Only one overworked agent working the check-in counter. She announces "I found you a suite with a separate living area." I say, "sounds like what I booked"(Spectacular Suite). She acknowledges "yes, sorry, we're at capacity, there are no upgrades available." Okay fine. Go up to the room. It's a small dark cave of a suite, right next to the service closets. Back downstairs, where the same agent magically finds me a Spectacular Corner Suite. Much better.

Had to ask about breakfast, and it sounds a bit confusing ("continental or a $20 credit"). We'll see how that works out.

bhrubin May 20, 19 12:16 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30295866)
I have 2 recent reviews posted to this thread to give some idea about the property. I will be back here again in a few weeks for work, as well, after a stay at the SLS Beverly Hills for leisure.

As it turns out, I haven’t been back. I tried the SLS and it was better. Much better. Even thought it’s also usually more expensive, I definitely prefer the SLS...and stay there now.

helvetic May 20, 19 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31118075)
Just checked in for four nights. Need to be at UCLA so this was the obvious choice. Close to 20 years since I was last here. Unimpressed so far. On arrival no sign of bell staff out front or inside. Only one overworked agent working the check-in counter. She announces "I found you a suite with a separate living area." I say, "sounds like what I booked"(Spectacular Suite). She acknowledges "yes, sorry, we're at capacity, there are no upgrades available." Okay fine. Go up to the room. It's a small dark cave of a suite, right next to the service closets. Back downstairs, where the same agent magically finds me a Spectacular Corner Suite. Much better.

Had to ask about breakfast, and it sounds a bit confusing ("continental or a $20 credit"). We'll see how that works out.

This is an all-suites hotel, fwiw.

SacTownGuy Nov 7, 19 11:23 am

Anybody used an SNA here? What suite do you get? We love the hotel for location and room size. Westwood is not what it once was though. OMG the homeless people and empty storefronts are sort of sad.

dascc Jan 3, 20 5:56 pm

Looking at booking via the Chase LHR portal. Includes Continental Breakfast for two daily at The Hideout Restaurant. Any experience what "Continental Breakfast" includes at this location?