FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

heakja Apr 23, 14 3:38 am


Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 22357130)
any current update on how the breakfast amenity is being honored? Do they have cereal as an option? is it self serve or pick 3 etc right now?

I wonder about the breakfast too.

Plus: Can anyone comment upon what room/suite numbers or location that are the absolutley most quiet? We are planning to stay here after a long journey from Europe. (I read something about church bells nearby going off every hour or so at tripadvisor - and being a light sleeper, I got REALLY worried).

sinfonia Apr 23, 14 7:36 am


Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22746484)
I wonder about the breakfast too.

Plus: Can anyone comment upon what room/suite numbers or location that are the absolutley most quiet? We are planning to stay here after a long journey from Europe. (I read something about church bells nearby going off every hour or so at tripadvisor - and being a light sleeper, I got REALLY worried).

I can't comment on which room/suite numbers will be the most quiet. However, I can assure you that the church bells ring only during the day. The church bells from Westwood Hills Christian Church, which is kitty-corner to the hotel from the front, begin ringing every hour on the hour at either 8 AM or 9 AM (I can't recall which) and stop ringing for the day at 5 PM. They typically ring one hymn every hour (about two and a half minutes), with the exception of 12 PM when they ring a few hymns (maybe five minutes). It is not exorbitantly loud and seems to blend in with the noise of city life such as the valets from this hotel calling for taxis. However, having said that, the area is mostly quiet and residential. Westwood is a college town (UCLA), but the hotel is located on the east side of campus, which is the opposite side of campus from where most students live. A few medical students and young professionals live on the east side and they aren't making noise. Directly behind the hotel are multi-million dollar homes and the people on these residential streets are not making noise. In Westwood village, the W Hotel IS the noisiest part of the village (the valets calling taxis at all times and the summer weekend lounge outdoor/pool parties where club music is pumped up such that residents in the area have trouble sleeping). The one caveat I would add is that if you are concerned about the noise, you may not want to visit a) on a summer weekend so that you don't have to hear the noise from the hotel club/lounge itself, and b) during any UCLA finals week where "midnight yell" can be heard anywhere in the village.

heakja Apr 23, 14 8:31 am


Originally Posted by sinfonia (Post 22747178)
I can't comment on which room/suite numbers will be the most quiet. However, I can assure you that the church bells ring only during the day. The church bells from Westwood Hills Christian Church, which is kitty-corner to the hotel from the front, begin ringing every hour on the hour at either 8 AM or 9 AM (I can't recall which) and stop ringing for the day at 5 PM. They typically ring one hymn every hour (about two and a half minutes), with the exception of 12 PM when they ring a few hymns (maybe five minutes). It is not exorbitantly loud and seems to blend in with the noise of city life such as the valets from this hotel calling for taxis. However, having said that, the area is mostly quiet and residential. Westwood is a college town (UCLA), but the hotel is located on the east side of campus, which is the opposite side of campus from where most students live. A few medical students and young professionals live on the east side and they aren't making noise. Directly behind the hotel are multi-million dollar homes and the people on these residential streets are not making noise. In Westwood village, the W Hotel IS the noisiest part of the village (the valets calling taxis at all times and the summer weekend lounge outdoor/pool parties where club music is pumped up such that residents in the area have trouble sleeping). The one caveat I would add is that if you are concerned about the noise, you may not want to visit a) on a summer weekend so that you don't have to hear the noise from the hotel club/lounge itself, and b) during any UCLA finals week where "midnight yell" can be heard anywhere in the village.

Thank you SO much. It was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We will be visiting during Christmas, so it will probably be pretty quiet.

sinfonia Apr 23, 14 12:47 pm


Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22747457)
Thank you SO much. It was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We will be visiting during Christmas, so it will probably be pretty quiet.

Glad to help. Just as long as you're not coming during finals week in December (see academic calender), you should have an enjoyable stay.

KENNECTED Apr 24, 14 12:42 pm


Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22746484)
I wonder about the breakfast too.

Plus: Can anyone comment upon what room/suite numbers or location that are the absolutley most quiet? We are planning to stay here after a long journey from Europe. (I read something about church bells nearby going off every hour or so at tripadvisor - and being a light sleeper, I got REALLY worried).

All the rooms are suites. In all my stays there, I don't ever recall hearing those bells. But I'm an early riser and a NYer so maybe I'm conditioned to street noise.

I would agree that a summer weekend would be noiser, but that is because the properties indoor restaurant moves outside and they have pool parties, but they are now required to end at a certain time.

If you want a quiet room, ask for one that does not face the backyard or Hilgard Street.

sinfonia Apr 24, 14 2:58 pm


Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 22755020)
If you want a quite room, as for one that does not face the backyard or Hilgard Street.

Good point. Specifically, you probably want to be on the northern and eastern side of the building, if possible.

3rdworldresident Nov 17, 14 10:20 pm

Any recent stay reports (as a plat member)?

Thanks in advance.

ktjan Nov 28, 14 7:30 pm

Any suggestions where else to park overnight near this property? I'm going to spend two nights (Sat and Sun) and not willing to pay $76 valet parking!

taipeiflyer Nov 28, 14 7:46 pm


Originally Posted by ktjan (Post 23912545)
Any suggestions where else to park overnight near this property? I'm going to spend two nights (Sat and Sun) and not willing to pay $76 valet parking!

Plenty of places to park for free right outside the hotel- but you will be moving your car every couple hours. Choice is yours.

nologic Nov 28, 14 8:31 pm


Originally Posted by ktjan (Post 23912545)
Any suggestions where else to park overnight near this property? I'm going to spend two nights (Sat and Sun) and not willing to pay $76 valet parking!

Sat nite to Sunday should be free street meter parking. Other nights: cheap lots nearby, or meter until 8am, and then go move ur car. More cheap parking options here than any hotel I've ever encountered w this expensive overnight parking rates on property.

crazypalooza Jan 3, 15 4:29 pm

Update on platinum breakfast benefit: A choice of the grab & go items on the restaurant bar counter or a credit towards the menu of $40 ($20 x 2 people). To put that in perspective, I think the most expensive item on the menu was $18. I'm glad they now offer a credit towards the sit-down menu.

Also, parking is $38 + tax and includes unlimited in and out privileges (and doesn't earn spg points even when charged to the rooms folio) however you can park about a half block down in a lot for $6.50 during the day or $15 a night (note: cash only). Those rates do NOT include in & out privileges. If someone is staying for a considerable period of time, the monthly (night) rate at the lot down the street is $155 & would include in & out privileges.

KENNECTED Jan 3, 15 5:15 pm


Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 24095704)
Update on platinum breakfast benefit: A choice of the grab & go items on the restaurant bar counter or a credit towards the menu of $40 ($20 x 2 people). To put that in perspective, I think the most expensive item on the menu was $18. I'm glad they now offer a credit towards the sit-down menu.

Also, parking is $38 + tax and includes unlimited in and out privileges (and doesn't earn spg points even when charged to the rooms folio) however you can park about a half block down in a lot for $6.50 during the day or $15 a night (note: cash only). Those rates do NOT include in & out privileges. If someone is staying for a considerable period of time, the monthly (night) rate at the lot down the street is $155 & would include in & out privileges.

If you pay with the SPG AMEX you'll earn points! ;)

Also, that lot at the corner is creepy. I say park on the street.

3rdworldresident Jan 3, 15 6:53 pm


Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 24095704)
Update on platinum breakfast benefit: A choice of the grab & go items on the restaurant bar counter or a credit towards the menu of $40 ($20 x 2 people). To put that in perspective, I think the most expensive item on the menu was $18. I'm glad they now offer a credit towards the sit-down menu.

Also, parking is $38 + tax and includes unlimited in and out privileges (and doesn't earn spg points even when charged to the rooms folio) however you can park about a half block down in a lot for $6.50 during the day or $15 a night (note: cash only). Those rates do NOT include in & out privileges. If someone is staying for a considerable period of time, the monthly (night) rate at the lot down the street is $155 & would include in & out privileges.

thank you very much for the updates, especially the platinum breakfast amenity.

im gonna stay there next month for 5 nights.

do i actually need a car to travel in LA?

crazypalooza Jan 3, 15 8:58 pm


Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 24095895)
Also, that lot at the corner is creepy. I say park on the street.

Street parking may not work for a lot of people during the week if they don't want to have to move their cars in the morning.


Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 24096260)
thank you very much for the updates, especially the platinum breakfast amenity.

im gonna stay there next month for 5 nights.

do i actually need a car to travel in LA?

IMHO, a car is needed unless you use Uber/taxis everywhere.

JVPhoto Mar 9, 15 7:39 pm

Is there a difference between a "Wonderful Room" & a "Fantastic Studio"? These options are given when selecting rooms with both having the same $/night.
I see that a Wonderful Studio is listed in the accommodations but nothing with Fantastic.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:04 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.