FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Park Tower Knightsbridge, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168466-park-tower-knightsbridge-london-united-kingdom-master-thread.html)

chanp Jun 18, 2008 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Dambus (Post 9895574)
Currently at the Park Tower and there is definitely something up. While staff are friendly/helpful etc. they seem somewhat weary/fragile.

Wonder if there has been a change of management or if there is some other change in the pipeline?

What do u mean weary/fragile. like looking over their shoulders every second?

Dambus Jun 18, 2008 2:05 am

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 9897642)
What do u mean weary/fragile. like looking over their shoulders every second?

No, just as if they have taken a few knocks.

Only my random observation based on a few interactions....

schriste Jun 18, 2008 7:35 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 9895841)
Don't you find the beds/linens/pillows among the best you have slept in?

I do! :)

Score8 Aug 26, 2008 4:08 am

Just checked in a few hours ago...early checkin was given a room with a view on 14. Checkin was smooth.

I didn't notice any 'fragility' though I am particularly pleased with my room given the early checkin time. Often I have to accept something on a lower floor due to the the time of day.

I would agree that the linens are of St. Regis/FS quality, though the bed is extraordinarily firm. I tried to take a nap this morning, but was not able to do so.

Perhaps I have had a room with a slightly different configuration in the past, but I didn't recall such a cramped shower stall.

I really like the cherry hardwood floors in the rooms. It may seem like a little thing, but I can't recall too many other hotel rooms that aren't wall-to-wall carpeting.

Nothing else to report for now...

est-gratuite Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Does anyone know if you can open the windows in the room at this hotel?
It doesn't need to be open fully....just enough to let in fresh air and hear some outside sounds.

Also, if the answer to the question above is yes...do you know if all rooms are like this or does it need a special request at check in ?

LTN Phobia Mar 20, 2009 6:02 am

Does anyone have feedback on the restaurant One-o-One?
I wouldn't mind trying it next time I'm at Sheraton Park Tower, but if it isn't as good as it's made out to be on their website, I'd rather walk over to Foliage at Mandarin Oriental, or catch a taxi somewhere else.

I found my recent stay quite pleasant. The room (executive room, an upgrade from the one I booked) was pleasant, a definite improvement on a standard room at Park Lane or Belgravia. It was modern (although not totally fresh decor) and also had a Euro plug which I appreciated. Although I carry a UK adapter with me, it's handy not having to use it.

I found the bed to be comfortable. I prefer a relatively hard bed, so that may have helped.

I didn't have anything to eat at the hotel because I came back late after going to the ballet and I did not bother with breakfast because I had a big lunch booked, but I found all the staff helpful, courteous and friendly.

I noticed that they could be a little disorganised (they delivered something to my room which wasn't for me, and it happened again) but they were apologetic enough, so that was quite OK.

I do love the location, although it's probably not for most tourists.

It is right in the centre of my 'range of movement' (Knightsbridge and Slone Street for shopping, basically) so to speak, although Park Lane would be closer to most of my favourite London restaurants. That is not quite so much an issue as proximity for shopping because I like being able to quickly walk back and drop shopping off in the room and going back out again, whereas I don't need to have near-immediate access to the room when eating out, of course.

smat Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm

I stayed at Park Tower on March 1, using Cash & Points. Nice standard room on 6th floor.....nice size bathroom, fairly firm bed with a duvet that I found a bit too warm. Windows did NOT open (I prefer that also).

Hotel seemed very empty, I did not hear anyone else on my floor, coming or going from elevator.

I've stayed there before, nice rooms but the place lacks something...charm, maybe? While the location is OK (for getting tubes/buses), it's a bit too crowded and frenetic for me. I always feel like I could be in "anywhere Europe" when I'm there.

I prefer the Park Lane location and atmosphere for feeling like I'm in the UK. The rooms are quite variable, and I find if I email in advance asking for a quiet room and re-iterate that at check in, I usually get a very nice room at the end of the hall (if not a suite). I'm Starwood Platinum......so that always helps.

The LeMeridien is just old and tatty, no matter how much you ask for a nice room. Location is great, but my last stay the sheets smelled, paint was peeling, etc.

If only Starwood would invest in a nicer property in London (or revamp one), I'd be a happy camper.

dabbagmm Mar 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 11444054)
I noticed that they could be a little disorganised (they delivered something to my room which wasn't for me, and it happened again) but they were apologetic enough, so that was quite OK.

This was not OK for me when they lost my laundry!! They misplaced my suite and I left London without it!!! I was on a multi-city business trip visiting clients and I had to rely on my other suite (It's always good to have a backup!). The suite was mailed to my home address two weeks after.

I have been regularly staying at this hotel since late 1990s and it was my home in London. Since 2004 the hotel has been into a downward spiral and I decided to abandon Starwood hotels in London due to the lack of adequate minimum standards (off course this is excluding The Lanesborough).

I wonder when Starwood will review their positioning strategy in a key city like London. still waiting.....

LTN Phobia Mar 21, 2009 4:46 am

Originally Posted by dabbagmm (Post 11448989)
This was not OK for me when they lost my laundry!! They misplaced my suite and I left London without it!!!

That certainly wouldn't have been OK for me either. I'd have been annoyed if they lost my suit. I shall make sure I take my own dry cleaning/laundry to the dry cleaners when I'm at Park Tower.

I have to admit I would really like Starwood to have better hotels in London (Lanesborough doesn't count because they are non-SPG). Belgravia was not good (had a bad stay there), standard rooms at the Park Lane desperately need renovating (oh my goodness the bathrooms are rather shocking) although executive rooms are much better, and Park Tower has nicer rooms but generally unremarkable. LM Piccadilly's renovated rooms are OK but I prefer to stay closer to Knightsbridge/Mayfair sort of area.

dabbagmm Mar 21, 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 11449454)
LM Piccadilly's renovated rooms are OK .

I agree with you...

In fact, these rooms are barely making it!!!!... The rest of the hotel is falling apart and frankly, patches here and there would not save this hotel. They should close it down for a several months and do give it a serious renovation. The economic downturn is an idea time to lay off people and reposition the hotel's for the next decide. The owner of the hotel have been banking on the fantastic location which is ideal for tourists.

The Park Lane has been scheduled to undergo renovation and plans keep on being postponed..

Wake up Starwood and think more seriously about London. Competition is already intense with boutique hotels, chain hotels and lavish hotels.

LTN Phobia Mar 21, 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by dabbagmm (Post 11449622)

Wake up Starwood and think more seriously about London. Competition is already intense with boutique hotels, chain hotels and lavish hotels.

Yep. Now that you can get the likes of the Dorchester for not that much more than the Park Tower, once I qualify for Platinum, I'll be defecting to the Dorchester where I had a very nice stay the other day.

I would stay loyal to Starwood for Heathrow hotels (there aren't much else there anyway) and also in various European and Australian cities, but London selection is just not good enough compared to the rest of the places.

Herb687 Mar 22, 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 11444054)
Does anyone have feedback on the restaurant One-o-One?
I wouldn't mind trying it next time I'm at Sheraton Park Tower, but if it isn't as good as it's made out to be on their website, I'd rather walk over to Foliage at Mandarin Oriental, or catch a taxi somewhere else.

Can one earn Starpoints for dining at One-o-One even if not a guest at the Park Tower?

The general rule is that if it's a restaurant with room charge ability then yes you can but it seems there are lots of exceptions to the general rule (and the more "upscale" the restaurant the less likely you can earn SPG points for a non-stay dine).

FYI - One-o-One is currently participating in London's Restaurant Week.

Starwood Lurker II Mar 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 11454723)
Can one earn Starpoints for dining at One-o-One even if not a guest at the Park Tower?

The general rule is that if it's a restaurant with room charge ability then yes you can but it seems there are lots of exceptions to the general rule (and the more "upscale" the restaurant the less likely you can earn SPG points for a non-stay dine).

FYI - One-o-One is currently participating in London's Restaurant Week.

I guess the best way for you to find out besides asking around, would be to check with the property directly. Their published email address is [email protected].

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

noirpepper May 7, 2009 8:07 pm

did anyone have a recent stay at this hotel? I have a stay coming up. Could use some updates on early check-in and upgrades. thanks :)

vandalby May 8, 2009 10:35 am

I had a couple of one night stays last month. I've had success in the past with being accomodated for an early check in, although your chance of scoring an upgrade is extremely small when doing so.

On my first one night stay, I requested an upgrade to a Butler room. The front desk agent indicated that a renovation was underway on the Butler floor and that it would be out of commission for a time. I'm not sure if this was the truth, or if I was getting some smoke blown in my direction. I had checked the website prior to checking in and did not see butler rooms available. It seems that the butler floor had nicer rooms than the standard (with the hard wood foors) so a renovation would be surprising to me. I had checked in about 7 PM and only standard rooms were available.

The second one night stay I checked in in the early afternoon - about 3 PM. They were able to give me an executive suite, which I have to say was very nice and comfortable.

I think that one of the issues with this hotel is that it attacts some rather wealthy and entitled travelers; I think that this property does actually manage to sell suites on a regular basis. In addition, I've seen some guests through appaling tantrums over not getting a suite that they were 'promised'. E.g., I overheard one guest insisting that her brother had met the cousin of the manager at a club in Monaco and a suite was promised, etc." Just a lot of DYKWIA mentality - unfortunately, I do think some of the staff members respond to it.

What I'm saying is that scoring an upgrade here is tougher than normal when considering the success rate that Platinums usually see across Europe.