Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old May 1, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Should I do Waldorf Astoria Maldives or St Regis Maldives?

WA:
Pros: 480k Hilton + 2 FN Certs = 7 Nights. Cheaper Transportation to Resort. Sometime in April or May. Will be able to take Biz class flight.
Cons: Reef might have not recovered. Unknown pricing about service/food costs.

SR:
Pros: Reserved for 240k before category deval. During December. 5 Nights.
Cons: Need to travel in Economy. Losing Platinum status after this year. So probably last time to get Free Breakfast. Super Expensive for Resort Transport.
100% do WA.

More nights, more restaurants, flying biz (20+hrs in econ to get to and from MLE is no joke)
Old May 1, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by outlawashere
100% do WA.

More nights, more restaurants, flying biz (20+hrs in econ to get to and from MLE is no joke)
I disagree, unless the OP does not plan on returning to the Maldives in the future.
  1. SR will never again be available at the excellent 60k price that the OP got. It is already 85k now, and it will go to 100k very soon (for a December stay that is, which is what the OP booked). This is in contrast to the WA; Hilton was forced to create a new price point for it, so it stands as the only 120k property so far. Therefore, it is unlikely that the WA's price point will increase above 120k in the next several years. Point being, if the OP only has a limited number of points available, it is unlikely for the OP to be able to go to the SR in the future should this opportunity be given up, and it is much more likely for the OP to be able to go to the WA in the future.
  2. WA will still be less than a year old next April/May, which means that there might still be a little bit of lingering 'new resort roughness' (although one would normally expect this effect to be minimal at a WA...)
  3. I personally think the SR's location is superior.
  4. The OP is apparently concerned about minimizing OOP cost, given the "Super Expensive for Resort Transport" comment. In that case, the OP would do much better at the SR, where the transfer fee is much lower ($695.00 RT incl. tax, compared to WA's $911.68 RT incl. tax), and the OP's Platinum status would provide the best breakfast spread and menu I have ever seen. Of course, WA will offer free breakfast to Gold/Diamond members too, but the OP didn't say anything about that...

Ideally, stay at the SR this December, then try the WA a couple years later (or save those points for somewhere else, e.g. Conrad Bora Bora?).
3rdworldresident and iluvdoco like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:56 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by jaycis
I disagree, unless the OP does not plan on returning to the Maldives in the future.
  1. SR will never again be available at the excellent 60k price that the OP got. It is already 85k now, and it will go to 100k very soon (for a December stay that is, which is what the OP booked). This is in contrast to the WA; Hilton was forced to create a new price point for it, so it stands as the only 120k property so far. Therefore, it is unlikely that the WA's price point will increase above 120k in the next several years. Point being, if the OP only has a limited number of points available, it is unlikely for the OP to be able to go to the SR in the future should this opportunity be given up, and it is much more likely for the OP to be able to go to the WA in the future.
  2. WA will still be less than a year old next April/May, which means that there might still be a little bit of lingering 'new resort roughness' (although one would normally expect this effect to be minimal at a WA...)
  3. I personally think the SR's location is superior.
  4. The OP is apparently concerned about minimizing OOP cost, given the "Super Expensive for Resort Transport" comment. In that case, the OP would do much better at the SR, where the transfer fee is much lower ($695.00 RT incl. tax, compared to WA's $911.68 RT incl. tax), and the OP's Platinum status would provide the best breakfast spread and menu I have ever seen. Of course, WA will offer free breakfast to Gold/Diamond members too, but the OP didn't say anything about that...

Ideally, stay at the SR this December, then try the WA a couple years later (or save those points for somewhere else, e.g. Conrad Bora Bora?).
If OP is in the US Hilton status is very easy to obtain and almost free.

Flying economy (if that's truly the difference between the two properties) will ruin any trip once landed due to jet lag. If that really is his trade-off, I would absolutely go WA.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
If OP is in the US Hilton status is very easy to obtain and almost free.

Flying economy (if that's truly the difference between the two properties) will ruin any trip once landed due to jet lag. If that really is his trade-off, I would absolutely go WA.
Yes, Im Hilton Diamond and in the US. QR J is not open in December so I would probably need to fly EY in Economy.
I still don't know what to do. This is such a tough choice right now.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by ATCG
First post; have read the entire thread.

Some tips I’ve compiled; what am I missing?
- Accept the unpacking and packing; it seems worth it.
- Complimentary bottled water in the room that will be stocked heavily upon request.
- Try to join the weekly manager’s reception at the whale bar. Unfortunately it is on Tuesdays so that means we’ll have only one rather than two opportunities due to the aforementioned Tuesday night dive.
- The beach near Alba is picturesque but unpleasant on the feet; a better beach option is that which stretches from Orientale past the check-in lounge through to the GVs.
- SPF 30 and 50 available at the main pool. There was a comment that it may also be brought to the room upon request; is this correct?
- Book in advance for any dining and activities; bear in mind you can reschedule them if needed.
- If booking a massage request some time in the Blue Hole as part of the service and they may provide it at no charge.
- Whale Bar is the best location for sunsets but try to arrive early.
Does anyone know if the weekly manager's reception still happening? Is it open to all guest or just plat/titanium/elites?
Old May 3, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Does anyone know if the weekly manager's reception still happening? Is it open to all guest or just plat/titanium/elites?
Not an answer to your question but considering the relatively significant plat benefits at the StR (breakfast alone is a $65 per person per day benefit) I figured it'd be worth mentioning that for those who don't travel quite enough to earn platinum under normal circumstances, it could be worth looking into a status challenge. Marriott offers a Plat status challenge that will give you Plat status after 16 nights in a 90 day period (really you get until the end of the 3rd month, so often closer to 110 days).
Old May 4, 2019, 3:05 am

Yes, I'm here now and attended this past Tuesday on the main (Alba) beach (5:30p-6:30p). My guess is it's open to all since it's out in the open for anyone to walk up to.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:24 am
kkl

Originally Posted by slice
Yes, I'm here now and attended this past Tuesday on the main (Alba) beach (5:30p-6:30p). My guess is it's open to all since it's out in the open for anyone to walk up to.
Seemed to have moved? Used to be a whale bar
Old May 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Thank you!! we get there on a Tuesday for 10 nights so we will get to go to 2 of them!
Old May 4, 2019, 8:59 pm

From the hotel:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Sunny Greetings from The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort!

Thank you very much for your email.

We regret to inform you that the resort policies have now changed and the maximum occupancy for a Garden Villa with Pool is fixed at 2 persons. We are unable to accommodate your family of 4 in a Garden Villa with Pool. The only option is to upgrade to a higher category that can accommodate your family.

Furthermore, please be advised that we do provide complimentary upgrades in appreciation for the loyalty from time to time. However, these upgrades cannot be guaranteed in advance and is only confirmed at the time of check-in. Therefore, the only way to guarantee an upgrade is with a paid upgrade as offered in our previous email.

Trust the above information proves helpful and we remain at your disposal for any further assistance that you may require.
Ouch, I'm just getting around to emailing them. I am expecting a response like yours, but if any different, I'll let you know.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:13 pm

What exactly happens during this hour? All you can drink happy hour?
Old May 5, 2019, 12:23 am
kkl

Originally Posted by rp88
Pretty much from a selected menu iirc
Old May 5, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by rp88
We were just there a few weeks ago. Just complimentary wine, beer and a few mocktail/juice options. No food.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Mech2Civil
Ouch, I'm just getting around to emailing them. I am expecting a response like yours, but if any different, I'll let you know.
Similar response.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:09 pm

Was trying to upgrade my GV to the OWV and based on the site's availability, all sorts of OVW/SOVW were all available a couple days before I called them. Called in and was told they were completely out of OVW for my dates and was offered the St Regis Suite, so I offered to move my dates around and they were like saying how there is no GV so I can't change my dates even though OWV was available. After more requests for other dates, she suddenly came back saying that she "found" a OVW for me to upgrade into on my original dates. It's almost as if she was trying to see if I were going to bite for the much more expensive upgrade.

I have to say though, for a property like this, the upgrade cost is quite reasonable.

Anyone visiting towards the end of May? Or any advice for visiting around this month? Heard that weather is not ideal but I don't really have a choice with my work schedule.

I've read most of this thread and it seems that Titanium benefits are not very consistent and service in general might not be very consistent, any specific things do I need to keep in mind?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.