Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by slice
Can anyone comment on benefits that have been offered to us lowly Golds? I know the breakfast benefit is huge and I'm trying to squeeze in a few more nights prior to this trip to hit Plat, but it will be very much down to the wire and even if I hit it, the qualifying stays will probably not post until after arrival so upgrade isn't likely (plus recent reports seem to indicate occupancy is higher than ever).
Here now as gold. Not much in the way of benefit.

500 Marriott points.
High speed internet
late checkout if available.

We paid to upgrade to overwater and there was a free bottle of champagne, fruit and chocolate in the room on arrival. Don’t know if that’s standard though I suspect it is based on other posts and isn’t related to gold status.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:43 am

Today in the morning i checked availability on my dates from 12 till 17 of april and every kind of villas was availiable. Then i wrote to the hotel and ask about my transfer and about upgrade and received that email:
Further to your email, as our resort is a Villas and Suites only property, complimentary upgrades and Suite Night Awards (SNAs) are not applicable at our resort..

The Overwater Villa with pool is not available for the duration of your stay with us

Should you have a preference for a certain room type other than booked room type, we are able to offer you cash paid upgrades.

We are pleased to offer you paid cash upgrades as follows:

· Sunset Overwater Villa with Pool at USD 616 per night – for a 3D virtual tour kindly click here.

· Overwater St. Regis Suite with Pool at USD 720.72 per night – for a 3D virtual tour kindly click here.

Please be advised that the above rates are inclusive of 23.2% service charge and goods and services tax.

After he wrote that availiability really disappeared.
I cant believe that 10 villas was booked in a moment today)
Really very strange.
So now i decided relax and dont worry about upgrades.
let everything remain on their conscience
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:47 am

Just received a note that the whale bar and grill is no longer operating. Can anyone there now confirm?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:34 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by joshiajay

Here now as gold. Not much in the way of benefit.

500 Marriott points.
High speed internet
late checkout if available.

We paid to upgrade to overwater and there was a free bottle of champagne, fruit and chocolate in the room on arrival. Don’t know if that’s standard though I suspect it is based on other posts and isn’t related to gold status.
Champagne isn't exactly free when you're spending $1k a night .
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by icec
Just received a note that the whale bar and grill is no longer operating. Can anyone there now confirm?
The whale bar is open for sunset drinks. There is only a small bites tapas menu consisting of 7 - 8 items. I was definately not pleased about that when i was looking forward to the grill menu i saw before arrival.
icec likes this.

Last edited by vwpokerchamp; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vwpokerchamp

The whale bar is open for sunset drinks. There is only a small bites tapas menu consisting of 7 - 8 items. I was definately not pleased about that when i was looking forward to the grill menu i saw before arrival.
The grill option at the Whale Bar was announced as a limited period option.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:04 am

Question for those there now/recently. The first time I went there was a great female Russian DJ who played house music at the Whale Bar during sunset time. Is she still there? Planning on a second trip back.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by rp88
Question for those there now/recently. The first time I went there was a great female Russian DJ who played house music at the Whale Bar during sunset time. Is she still there? Planning on a second trip back.
Yes - she’s still here, along with a saxophone player (also Russian perhaps?). We’ve really liked her mixes, and the live saxophone accompaniment is quite cool. More hip than I expected from STR; more of a W vibe. However I think she needs a bit more material; we’ve been hearing quite a bit of repetition after spending many sunsets down there...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:35 am

Underwhelmed...

Hello all, my first post but I’ve read so many posts here and am thankful for the information I’ve read.

I’ve been avidly following this thread in anticipation of my stay at the St Regis Maldives with my husband and young daughter, having travelled extensively all over the world and stayed at 4 other St Regis properties including Bora Bora I must say I’m sadly underwhelmed by this resort.

I’m a platinum member - and maybe one of the problems is that this forum set my expectations too high maybe - for example the main post in this thread says you get a welcome basket of fruit, candy / snack display etc. We have had none of those things after being here for 2 nights. We’ve barely heard from our butler and only based on our experience at other St a Regis properties, we’ve had to ask for things that normally get offered. For example coffee delivered to the room. So we asked if that was a complimentary service provided at this hotel. At first we were told yes, then we were given a bill. Then later we were told we shouldn’t have been charged. All very messy.

Also we are staying on points, garden villa, no upgrade offered (fine) but we did offer to pay to upgrade to a beach villa. We have been told we’ll see, we’ll see how it goes etc - as the hotel is busy ... and today we were told the Beach Villas are over booked so “they’ll see this evening”. Fine - but if I immediately go online right now (5 minutes after being told they are overbooked) I can make a paid reservation for a beach villa using cash. I don’t understand this. They are overbooked by their own acknowledgement and yet are still taking bookings.

It seems like we have to figure out how to get information. Constantly. For example I knew that there were paid excursions - but there is no information on this when you check in. I asked the butler for a list (in addition to a printed map of the resort that we could refer to when we were out and about) (re the map we finally got it after asking a second time when the first response was “it’s on the iPad”). We had to go to the water sport centre and flick through the iPad of excursions. The issue here is that if I didn’t know to ask (and further pushed for it by seeking it out) I would have never found out this extra information. Honestly I’m so much less bothered seeing as though this is a points booking but if I was spending $2500 per night on a garden villa I would have extreme rage.

Don’t get me wrong, even the garden villas are massive in size, food is high quality (high cost), but the service is lacking. And it all seems quite disorganised. Housekeeping is pretty good - gave us extra water after asking a few small issues not worth mentioning.

So what is your advice fellow travellers - it seems wrong / arrogant to me to for example say “I was led to believe as a platinum member there were extra room amenities such as a fruit basket etc but we don’t have these” - or should I ask for this?

PS we tipped our butler when we arrived - he’s only dropped us to the room and showed us how to use the iPad - so that doesn’t help.

This is why I am underwhelmed - I had my hopes up for excellent service but it’s very average at best.

I’d be interested to see the difference in experience of people who pay cash v points. Whether that has something to do with it.

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EmmaY123
I’d be interested to see the difference in experience of people who pay cash v points. Whether that has something to do with it.
Given that you are in the middle of the stay, I say don't listen to any of us here. Zoom out and enjoy your time with your family until you check out.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
We paid in points, and had a very different experience. We got fresh fruit on arrival and additonal fruits added during the stay.
Our butlers (we had a duo, I assume one was in training) came to talk to us at breakfast every morning. We took our bikes around, never used the carts. All activity options and schedulesfor the period of the stay were printed and ready for us when we came to the room, maybe because we had inquired about various options in advance.

There were things that did not work perfectly, especially as others have mentioned the breakfast service could be a bit disorganised and slow. Generally though, service levels were pretty high, we were never once asked for name or room number when arriving for a booking somewhere.

Make sure to get a WhatsApp contact for your butler, it gives a much better communication flow. If you don't use WhatsApp normally, install it for the trip. The whole island is covered with WiFi, so you will be good for connection.

No, I don't think that it matter whether you paid in points or in cash. But it does seem based on a lot of recent posts that the service is less stable and uniform that one would expect of a St Regis.
​​​​​​
sydneyflyer12 and EmmaY123 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:23 am

Easier said than done...

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Given that you are in the middle of the stay, I say don't listen to any of us here. Zoom out and enjoy your time with your family until you check out.

Great theory @LovetoTravel83 but writing this whilst stuck at reception on the phone to Marriott resolving an issue with my booking (relating a back to back points booking) - (that I haven’t posted about as it’s in progress and may be resolved) would love to be enjoying the resort or relaxing.

PS If you’d read the post you’d see that we wouldn’t know how to utilise the resort / activities if I wasn’t checking this forum at times!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:55 am

We’re now at the resort and we was upgraded from GV to SOWV. I redeemed points. On the day of arrival we received fruit basket and bottle of champagne. I’m titanium member. Maybe I received upgrade because in a few days before arrival wrote to resort and asked to upgrade but I’m not sure)
i like everything here because that is our first time on Maldives. I was upset just by one situation. On the first day we woke up early and went to breakfast at 7 and then decided to visit alba again to have a coffee with snacks. When we were done we received a bill on 138 dollars because we can’t have breakfast two times a day) that the first place where I see this policy but I don’t worry about that now))
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Denis Sidletskiy
We’re now at the resort and we was upgraded from GV to SOWV. I redeemed points. On the day of arrival we received fruit basket and bottle of champagne. I’m titanium member. Maybe I received upgrade because in a few days before arrival wrote to resort and asked to upgrade but I’m not sure)
i like everything here because that is our first time on Maldives. I was upset just by one situation. On the first day we woke up early and went to breakfast at 7 and then decided to visit alba again to have a coffee with snacks. When we were done we received a bill on 138 dollars because we can’t have breakfast two times a day) that the first place where I see this policy but I don’t worry about that now))
I would ask them to remove the charge. Whilst the policy makes sense to avoid freeloaders, the whole POINT of a small resort is the waiters are supposed to remember you and have personalised service - and in a case like this, quietly pull you aside and ask whether you’ve been advised of the policy on double breakfasts.

Frame it that way and I’m sure they’ll remove the charges.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
A ton of GV award availability has opened up! We’re talking every day through December 19th from today.

I have a 5 night award booking at StR. When I called Plat line a week ago about them honoring 60k points rate but my points advance showing 85k per night, they simply added 100k points to my account to make up for it. They didn’t attach any stipulations on this like this, so now I’m tempted to modify the dates to push the trip back a couple days. Anyone think this is safe or do y’all think IT could actually some sort of linkage to pull points away if I modify/cancel the original reservation? The 100k pts they gave me is simply labeled as a “Points Adjustment”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.