Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:24 am

Thanks! Butler indicated it had to be ordered a day ahead. Thought it would be automatic if free.

Plus, I had to ask about it after reading in here. Would think she would have offered up this to us when she was trying to sell us on using spa, etc.

Last edited by CherylD; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CherylD
Here now. No upgrade as titanium. Resort full. Don’t understand the hype.
Anyone who has stayed recently... is tea and cakes in afternoon free as a plat amenity or cost? If cost - how much? I’ve asked way too many times already how much this or that costs! 😉
it sounds like a joke((( yesterday I checked on today available villas and there were every kind of villas, but today it’s fully booked( is it possible that st regis blocked availability because they don’t want to do upgrades?
im also going there and I hope that I’ll receive upgrade, but I’m afraid that they do it on purpose...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:21 am

Interesting theory. I also had checked before and there were openings. It seems to change every day now. The next day is booked. But 2 days out it’s open. Then the same thing happens upon the next day occurring. How can that be when sea planes have to be reserved a few days ahead?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:43 am

Interesting theory. I also had checked before and there were openings. It seems to change every day now. The next day is booked. But 2 days out it’s open. Then the same thing happens upon the next day occurring. How can that be when sea planes have to be reserved a few days ahead?
it’s really strange. It looks like today big company decided to chill in st Regis and book all available villas. If it real it’s a shame for st Regis. Maybe ask someone about that?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Denis Sidletskiy

it sounds like a joke((( yesterday I checked on today available villas and there were every kind of villas, but today it’s fully booked( is it possible that st regis blocked availability because they don’t want to do upgrades?
im also going there and I hope that I’ll receive upgrade, but I’m afraid that they do it on purpose...
For those who are going to the St. Regis. Just go and enjoy the stay. Upgrade or not, this is a wonderful resort.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:43 pm

As a rough guess, it could be to do with transfers: seaplanes need to be booked in advance, but online bookings are still possible for day of arrival which could leave guests stranded (and furious!) unable to get to the island if they really booked last-minute. Closing bookings a day or two ahead prevents this.

However, it could also be to prevent requests for upgrades by appearing to be full, but it seems like quite an effort and a petty mind to do that.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
eating breakfast in alba right now and its packed. my butler also told me occupancy is full right now
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Have the people who saw availability for higher room categories shortly before their stay considered the possibility that other people with higher upgrade priority took that availability? Unlike a city hotel which might play games with upgrades in the hopes of selling the room same-day, I really don't see what the StR has to gain by denying people upgrades when possible. That's not to say it's impossible, or that I think the hotel never plays games (they definitely do with award availability) just that it doesn't seem logical from the hotel's PoV.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:13 am

Checked in last night! Marriott platinum, here for a week. Got bumped from OWV->SOWV. That’s exactly what I wanted so absolutely thrilled.

This place is stunning! Meeting and exceeding extremely high expectations.

my only complaint so far is that they seem to have issues keeping my itinerary straight (I made a number of bookings in advance for food/activities). However, the staff is promptly and energetically addressing everything so this is a very minor complaint.

Looks like a number of us are here right now, drinks at the bar later??
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:18 am

We checked in earlier this week. Booked OWV and got upgraded to OW St Regis Suite. Wife is Titanium and we are on our honeymoon. Very generous upgrade. We also got complimentary cake and champagne, along with romantic bath prep in the room. It’s been a blast, except for a couple of minor service hiccups everything is great despite being fully occupied. Dinners are expensive but we are happy to splurge. Best food is from Alba and Crust. Cargo was ok.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:10 am

Upgraded after repeated pleas to BV. It’s wonderful. Resort manager here is fantastic.

Our butler said if we wanted any more fruit it would be an extra charge. Guess we should have taken it with us during the move. Titanium status doesn’t seem to get as many free perks as I’ve read used to occur.

Last edited by CherylD; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:43 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:30 am

Upgraded after repeated pleas to BV. It’s wonderful. Still don’t think I’d book here though if there was any chance of being stuck in a GV when there are other resorts where water view is pretty much guaranteed.

Our butler said if we wanted any more fruit it would be an extra charge. Guess we should have taken it with us during the move. Titanium status doesn’t seem to get as many free perks as I’ve read used to occur.

Service is hit or miss. Had to laugh reading reviews about having to reorder food. Husband is 2/2 on having to reorder waffles each morning. We are making a game out of it now 😊
Have you asked for cash upgrade on-site? Plan to do so if no uprgrade at all.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:40 am
kkl

imo, the service in Alba is 'zoned' the best service i got was about 2/3 the way down from entrance. bald guy, mohammed. i even got shots of kahlua with my morning iced coffees most mornings no charge
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Upgraded after repeated pleas to BV. It’s wonderful. Still don’t think I’d book here though if there was any chance of being stuck in a GV when there are other resorts where water view is pretty much guaranteed.

There is only a modest cash price difference between the GV and the OWV or BV. I would recommend to anybody going to St.Regis Maldives paying cash to book OWV or above, not GV. If you book OWV, you will get your water view, guaranteed.

However if someone books with points and if you do not want to pay for an upgrade to guarantee your view, then indeed you are gambling and you might very well lose. Especially in April. Other resorts have entry level rooms with a view so perhaps you could book there if you want such guarantee. At the risk of stating the obvious, if someone does not want under any circumstance to be "stuck" without a water view, then don't book GV at St.Regis because that room does not have a view.
The second issue is that if I am not mistaken, this resort normally does not move guests to another room type during a stay, so let's say you go 8 nights and the first 3 nights the resort is full, in theory you could stay in the GV for the first 3 nights and then move and get your free upgrade for the last 5 nights, but unfortunately St.Regis will not do this. I suspect that is the reason why you did not get an upgrade when you checked in but got it later? Because otherwise they would have upgraded you in the first place or you could have paid cash for the BV.

I guess they have made the decision that they do not want to monkey around with guests checking in and out of rooms just for the purpose of upgrades. That might not be the most flexible policy but it is defensible.

There are only 4 GVs in the entire resort so the vast majority of guests will be pleased with their view.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:50 am

I had been advised to wait until checkin to ask about upgrading.

Last edited by CherylD; Apr 7, 2019 at 10:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.